CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 4 of 21)

Feb 012014

Pathfinder

I had the same issue as many others. Coolant leaked into the transmission causing hard shifts, and shuttering while accelerating.

- Franklin , TN, USA

Apr 182015

Pathfinder

Vehicle contained a defective radiator cooler tank that ruptures and forces coolant into the transmission through the cooler lines. When the coolant mixes with transmission fluid it creates a frothy liquid that eats valves, erodes seals and causes corrosion. It's toxic, irreversible and killed the 5-speed automatic transmission. This problem was listed as the 2nd worst problem on carcomplaints.com's "top vehicle problem trends of 2012". why is this not a recall?!

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Apr 242015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission cooler attached to radiator cracked causing coolant to leak into the transmission leading to failure to accelerate the vehicle when needed and complete failure of the transmission.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 292015

Transmission failed.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Apr 062015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I started having issues with my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder at approximately 100,000 miles. I first noticed the problem with the heater. When I was parked the truck would not heat up only cold air with come out. Next problem was when I would step on the gas pedal the truck would jerk alot and it would vibrate when I would speed up. It was very scary, it actually felt like it was going to cause me to get into an accident, that's how terrible it felt. I took it to the Nissan dealer where I bought the truck for them to check it and they immediately knew that the problem was coming from the transmission. The coolant mixed into the radiator causing for that to go bad too. I called the Nissan headquarters after finding out that this issue was experienced by so many other owners of 2005 Nissan Pathfinders. This job cost me over $4000.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Aug 072014

Pathfinder

Got recall in mail for radiator and transmission recall which we had to pay for"!?! over $2000. To replace the radiator and not even 3 months had gone by and have had the truck to the garage 3 times due to damage from transmission. Got in truck to go to work today yup you guessed it transmission is now shot put in drive and doesn't go. Totally unfair Nissan should have replaced it when the recall came out. Why should the consumer pay for there screw up" new transmission $5000. Will never buy Nissan again and will make sure I tell everyone. So far to date $5000. To try to fix up Nissan's mess and then I'm to spend another $5000. On there mistake. Ha total bull!!!!! they should have stood by there product and replaced everything at no cost to the owner!!! very unhappy!!

- Winsted, CT, USA

Jun 182014

Pathfinder

Have problem with cooling system leaking into transmission.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Apr 122015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle failed to torque after accelerating and slipped, after I lost control slightly bumped into a parked car.

- Hacienda Hts, CA, USA

Mar 282015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator on my Pathfinder has cracked and allowed coolant to get into the transmission fluid. This has ruined not only my radiator but also my transmission.

- Searcy, AR, USA

Mar 192015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan needs to formally recall several vehicles with radiator/ transmission problems. In my case while I was driving my vehicle suddenly came to a stop while I was on the road driving at a speed of 55 mph. My vehicle shut down and I tried to turn on luckily it turned on and began to run again. I pressed on the accelerator it did not run more than 20 mph. I decided to tow my vehicle to a local mechanic to have it diagnosed since I was terrified of it shutting down once again in the middle of the road. My mechanic diagnosed my vehicle and concluded that fluid from the radiator had leaked into the transmission. Nonetheless, he expressed to me that this was nothing new he had seen with these vehicles. He told me that he had fixed a couple in just this last year. According to his past clients Nissan failed to do anything to correct the problem regardless of the potential hazard. I visited the dealer in which I have purchased the vehicle and explain the service man my concern. He clearly told me that my warranty was over and that the lawsuit against Nissan to be reimbursed had ended in 2013. I told him that my vehicle frequently comes to their service center for maintenance and if they were aware of the failure in theses vehicles once they reach their 100,000 miles why did they fail to correct the problem before it occurred. It surprises me that Nissan failed to inform any of its consumers of the problem when it was going through a lawsuit. He then proceeded to tell me that he could not help me and referred me to corporate office. I was told I would be called within two days. I received the call back from Nissan simply telling me my case was reviewed and they could not do anything due to the fact that my warranty is over. Nissan is putting the lives of their consumers in danger and is hiding behind their warranty guidelines to avoid correcting their engineering errors.

- Lakeview Terrace, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Re: transmission fluid mixed with radiator fluid causing transmission to fail. Had to rebuild transmission. I received no notice of the class action lawsuit re: Nissan transmission/ radiator leak issues. In September of 2014 my transmission started to fail. I had it looked at by two different shops and they advised a radiator and transmission replacement. This cost me: $5400 out of pocket. I now read that Nissan had a class action lawsuit and would cover some cars. My car however, is over 100,000 miles and Nissan is not offering any compensation. This is totally unacceptable and I am beyond frustrated with Nissan.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 142015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving down to the title department the day after I purchased my newest vehicle I've ever owned I was hit with the sad reality of an untrue man selling me his problem my transmission has antifreeze in the fluid it will drive fine until it heats up and the fluid gets to the transmission it is not safe this should be a recall they no it's a problem and also my seatbelt light for passenger seat even when someone sit in that seat the sensor does not work.

- Rockwell , NC, USA

Jan 232015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I took my Pathfinder into a local shop because I started hearing noise coming from the transmission at around 45 mph. I was informed antifreeze got into my transmission fluid due to a radiator failure. The shop replaced the radiator and flushed the tranny. Over a $600 bill. The shop hoped it would fix the problem without rebuilding or replacing the transmission. No luck!! now I am looking at another $4000 plus on something that should never have happened. I was told by many shops including the local dealer that this is a known problem. If proactive by the manufacture could have been fixed with replacement of the radiator. Instead, Nissan decided to extend the warranty. Never informing customers to have inspected for premature failure of the radiator or tranny.

- Estill Springs, TN, USA

Mar 092015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Me and my 6 month old daughter were going down the road when my car lost all power and was like it had been shifted into neutral. My brakes weren't working properly but I got us off the road and had the car towed. After our repair guy checked all the wiring and ran test and pulled the transmission pan off the radiator coolant had leaked into the transmission full resulting in the gears messing up and the entire car undriveable. We knew about this problem and had contacted Nissan 6 months prior to check the recall and was told this vehicle had been fixed....obviously not. If it had been fixed it wasn't fixed properly or it would not have failed again many trips have been taken since then and now we are over 100,000 miles and it's a $3800 fix because Nissan either lied and it was never fixed to start with or didn't correctly fix it the first time.

- Toccoa, GA, USA

Oct 132014

Pathfinder

The radiator leaked into the transmission causing a transmission failure.

- Parachute, CO, USA

Dec 042012

Pathfinder

Radiator coolant getting into transmission causing the short circuit, transmission computer is inside the transmission which destroys the transmission causing replacement, radiator replacement, thermostat and computer sensors replacement. Cost for replacement in this Pathfinder approx. $5,500 - $6,000 and the remaining loan on the Pathfinder is almost the same amount! according to the local dealership this is a major default of Nissan and a major problem with more complaints than they themselves can count. This Pathfinder belongs to an 83 year old man who uses this transportation to travel with his 80 year old wife to and from 90% medical use, now he can not afford to have the repairs and to no fault of his and due to Nissan's default and will not agree to fix the problem, the Pathfinder can no longer be used and the loan payments are still coming in.

- Muscle Shoals, AL, USA

Feb 112015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I began to hear a noise and hesitation in gear change. Told tires but continue to hear. Had a oil change at twin city Nissan. Rep advice coolant in transmission would charge $3000 to repair and warranty on radiator expires soon. Radiator and transmission and fluids flushed for $3000 cost to me. Contact 1800 Nissan 1 and told over 368 complaints its manufacturing defect he advice can't. help.

- Port Arthur , TX, USA

Jan 232015

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 45 mph, the transmission seized and the check engine warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator fluid leaked into the transmission, which caused the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 158,000.

- Atoka, TN, USA

Jan 062015

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the check engine sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that fluid from the radiator had leaked into the transmission. The transmission and radiator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 117,400.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Apr 102013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted after several attempts. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 189,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA