Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 5 of 21)

Sep 152014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle shook violently when shifting gears. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Mary Esther, FL, USA

Oct 072014

Transmission failure making a left turn with oncoming traffic. No warning, no prior, noise or vibration, just a sudden total failure. The cause has been diagnosed as the leaking coolant from the transmission radiator. The current Nissan 'extended warranty' is not sufficient given the nature of the problem and the risks associated with a transmission failure during driving.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 142012

As I was pulling out onto a busy street the transmission slipped and my two small sons and I nearly got nailed by angry oncoming traffic that honked, yelled, and inappropriately gestured at us to get out of the way. We could have been seriously injured as well as others. This happened more times than I can even remember. It also shudders and slips while driving at 40-50 mph. It is dangerous! why doesn't anyone do something! I had been trying to figure out the problem since 65,000 miles and at 80,300 miles we found trani fluid in the radiator. After googling the issue and learning that it was a part a of a classaction suit I was pissed that I hadn't been notified. I am a struggling mother of two and I am still paying for a car that I haven't been able to drive for the last year because I can't afford to fix it! I feel this is unacceptable and there should be a recall in place!!!! lives are being endangered!

- Koloa, HI, USA

Jun 232014

I had the vehicle's tires replaced and within a few days there was a shudder like rumble strips. I took the Pathfinder back to have the tires looked at. Repair shop replaced the wheel bearings. The shudder still persisted. I talked to a friend who owns a transmission repair shop and he told me about the radiator leak/transmission problem. He said to check the engine coolant for milkiness and search online. The coolant is milky and after reading all the other complaints, my family is scared to use the Pathfinder. I think a recall should be issued because the transmission is failing because of failure of the cooling system not wear and tear. A failing transmission is more likely to cause an accident than a failing cooling system. Also, Nissan's extended warranty seems to end to early to be effective.

- Branchburg, NJ, USA

Sep 242014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission failed while driving on city streets. Car would not shift out of low gear, forcing my wife to get home on road shoulders with emergency lights on. Thankfully very light traffic on a weekday afternoon. Researching online, found that this is an issue with the Pathfinder, radiator coolant leaking and causing transmission failure. Never notified regarding any recalls or such.

- Sun Valley, CA, USA

Sep 092014

The vehicle began a slight shudder when shifting and within a few days while passing a truck on the freeway at 70 mph it shifted very hard and responded as if it was in neutral. Any application of the accelerator caused high RPM but gave no additional power. I was forced to put on my emergency flashers and maneuver through three lanes of traffic as I had lost all power and could not was just coasting along the freeway. It was a very dangerous situation that fortunately ended safely no thanks to the car. It was later determined by my mechanic that the radiator fluid had mixed with the transmission fluid and caused the transmission components to fail. After spending $1000 on the first repairs to replace the radiator and flush the transmission 3 times it ran for a week and began shifting very hard again. It is now in the shop being considered for a transmission replacement. Hearing about the investigation and similar experiences by others it is a wonder why this issue has not been officially deemed a safety recall seeing as how my safety was definitely in jeopardy at the time of the failure.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Dec 102013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The car been great until on December 2013. I was driving back home from work and I notice the car at the time of shifting from first to second has having a hard shifting, then later I spend around 450 for the transmission service, the car was shifting better but not perfect, then on July this year. After having a short trip and turning off the engine and then on again to go to the next destination, the car at the time of finishing the starting the transmission kick a bad noise and even the car jumps, today I went to the dealer and explain my problems and show the kicking the service advisor told me I have the choice to pay 3000 to get a new transmission and radiator, they know we have the problems with this transmissions and they didn't call for a recall that's bad. I have only 96350 miles and still 4900 to pay for it. Nissan is not making good business in America, please help us.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Aug 302014

The transmission in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder has failed. My son was in a very dangerous situation on a busy street and this problem jeopardized his life.the vehicle basically stopped in the middle of a turn onto a busy street. The defective transmission/radiator breakdown is a serious situation and a known issue with these vehicles. My radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and failed. The amount to repair this vehicle and make this a safe vehicle is more than we can afford....approximately $5300 because the fuel sending unit also failed!! I feel this faulty product should be recalled and necessary repairs made or a reimbursement made by Nissan.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

April 2013 (96K) - transmission failed as I was pulling out of my parking space. Transmission and radiator were replaced under the extended warranty offered by Nissan at a co-pay of $3000. February 2014 (105K) - transmission hose ruptured as I was driving on an expressway. I was able to pull off on an exit and park in a lot until a tow truck arrived. March 2014 (105K) - rpms spiking, sluggish acceleration as I was driving on a busy interstate. Transmission was again replaced. August 2014 (109K) - mechanic noticed leaking from transmission hose while replacing brakes. Drove to the dealer and had hose fixed again. September 2014 (109K) - transmission slipped as I was pulling out into traffic from a side street.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Check engine light came on, and after bringing vehicle to Nissan dealership, they informed me that due to an internal radiator crack, that engine coolant had leaked into the transmission cooling coils and as a result transmission failure was imminent and that both the radiator and transmission would need to be replaced. Then they indicate that they had extended the original vehicle warranty due to the volume of such failures, and that they would make the necessary repairs for a meager $3,000 "copay". I laughed because I thought he was merely making a joke, but then found out that the joke was on the Nissan customers. Apparently as a result of a class action lawsuit settlement, Nissan had agreed to the warranty extension. What a slap in the face, to say that in lieu of recalling the defective radiator, and making a $500 repair, they decided to roll the dice with their reputation and their customer's wallet on a potential $3,500 to $4,000 repair. What a moron business decision. The second joke came, when I inquired about the warranty on the repair, and they informed me that it was only 12 months or 12,000 miles. What a vote of confidence in their $3,000 repair (copay ??). so for a few bucks more, I can have an independent shop do the repair, and get a better warranty. Insult # 3 came when they offered up, that alternatively, they would discuss buyer assistance on a new Nissan vehicle. They probably heard me laughing in Japan.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 202014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan dealership just diagnosed that my radiator was leaking into my transmission. This was problematic because the radiator coolant has damaged the transmission. In April of 2014, I had my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder to the same dealership for the same issue and they had flushed and replaced my transmission fluid.

- Medway, OH, USA

Aug 122014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My radiator cracked internally and leaked into my transmission, which destroyed the parts and caused significant damage.

- Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Aug 072014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator failure allowing transmission fluid to mix with antifreeze causing transmission failure. Radiator failure due to crack in transmission cooler. Is manufacturing defect, should be Nissan 's responsibility to fix not the consumer.

- Linwood, NC, USA

Aug 022014

Engine coolant leaked into transmission causing irreparable damage; requires both the radiator and transmission be replaced. This problem was noticed while driving. The car shudders and there is a heavy vibration while accelerating/shifting. This is a concern as the transmission failure may result in unsafe operation of this vehicle.

- Trappe, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

All of my experience with my transmission failure took place on the road while in heavy traffic which was unsafe and scary July 2014 - present. First, the truck developed a "bucking" movement whenever it was driven. The bucking movement is similar to a car that is trying to shift gears like a manual car, but the transition between gears was not smooth. Gradually and unexpectedly, while driving, the car started making revving noises like a race car, while the speed is only 20mph. The speed dropped and would not accelerate regardless of how hard you are pressing on the gas. To decrease the revving noise you cannot drive above 40mph. As always I rely on the dealership to service my car, and at first the diagnostic test did not show the coolant leaking into the transmission. With more and more test by the Nissan mechanic, there was still no indication by the diagnostic test that shows the increase defect of the transmission. 3 weeks later, after handing over the car for a complete day, the dealership strip the car and ran further diagnostic test which indicated that the transmission failure due to leak from the engine coolant liquid mixing with the transmission fluid leading to an automatic transmission damage. The recommendation by the dealership is to replace the transmission, which would cost $5,000. Remaining payment balance for the car is $1700. Total mileage on the car is 100,200.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

May 292014

Had a problem with the radiator leaking a couple of years ago. My mechanic told me to put in some fluid that seals up the leak. Worked well for a while. Then this may the transmission started making noises and vibrations. Took it to my mechanic and he tells me that the radiator has leaked into the transmission. About $1,000 to fix it. I say go ahead as what choice do I have. They replace the radiator and flush the transmission about 4 times. About a month later the transmission starts shifting into 4WD by itself and the car won't go anywhere while giving it gas. Turn it off then on and that fixes it. I take it to Nissan because my mechanic shop was closed. I explain my previous repairs and my problem. They tell me about the extended warranty. Ask me if I have a factory or after market radiator installed. I don't know. So I wait until Monday to talk to my original mechanic and they say it was an aftermarket. Nissan says this is a problem and after talking to the dealership and Nissan Consumer Affairs they tell me they can't honor the warranty. I ask them to maybe take a statement from my mechanic that he took out the original factory radiator and replaced it, but they say they need the original which was taken to the scrap yard. Nissan had to replace the accelerator pedal and now I think I will have to replace the transmission. Lesson learned that Nissan does not make good cars. And won't back them up either.

- Bolton, CT, USA

Apr 152014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was applied. The vehicle was difficult to shift into gears and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed due to water and anti-freeze entering the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 100,702.

- North Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Jun 292014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle began to shudder and shift hard. Then it lost almost all power. Limped home in the dark not knowing if I could get home. Very scary situation. I was lucky that the weather was not severe (excessive heat or cold) as this could have been very dangerous. With children in the car, in a remote area and from what I now understand, the transmission could have actually caught fire, this has the potential to be a real disaster! please review this situation, Nissan needs to be held accountable before someone gets killed!

- Radiant, VA, USA

Jun 202014

Vehicle stalled. Check engine light displayed. Took vehicle to security Nissan in baltimore, md to get checked out. Was informed by technician "radiator cooler is leaking coolant into automatic transmission". technician recommends transmission assembly, radiator with radiator cap, and flush cooler lines. Extended warranty states repairs are not covered. Total bull! cost of repairs $6000! contacted Nissan to see how they would assist with this problem and was basically told they wouldn't. Nissan Corp was aware of this problem since 2010. This situation could have been resolved with a recall to repair "crack in the radiator assembly leading to internal leakage of engine coolant". what could have been a couple hundred dollars or repairs by Nissan now is a few thousand dollars to consumers because of the neglect from Nissan Corp and many of it's certified dealers to make consumers aware of this problem. We purchased this vehicle in 2011 and not once did the dealer mention that this was a known problem nationwide.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 052014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the transmission was slipping and that there was a transmission leak. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was hesitating and stalled on numerous occasions. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V142000 (power train). The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA