CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2.1

2005 Nissan Pathfinder electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 082011

Pathfinder

Went to close door and would not shut. It was stuck in the lock position, could not unlock manually or with the key fob. Got door shut, got to destination and could not open the door from the inside or outside. Would not unlock manually or with key fob and had to get out on the passenger side.

- Polo, IL, USA

Nov 082011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder shuttered excessively when decelerating from the interstate and from that point forward had difficulty shifting into higher gears. I immediately took it to a mechanic and was told the transmission had gone bad. In the process of replacing the transmission, they discovered the radiator leaking into the transmission and the computers in the transmission and the car were not communicating.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jan 052011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan needs to step up! this is an unbelievable amount of what is wrong with the world. Since having the many other problems fixed on my Pathfinder(2005) I am now facing an issue of it running sluggishly, high RPM's and less get up. That was one of my favorite things when we purchased the truck, I thought it was safe. I felt comfortable merging into traffic with my 4 children I knew we had power on our side. The tire pressure is constantly ( 1X a week) setting off the TPMS, then there is the squeaky brakes and other rattling, vibrating noises. The other thing is the check engine light that randomly comes on for some reason then will mysteriously be gone a few miles later. We bought Nissan thinking it was still a stable reliable company that made a strong product and stood behind it...well were we ever wrong! never again!!!

- New Egypt, NJ, USA

Nov 302010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We had to replace the ipdm in November 2010, the truck stopped running in middle of the road, we had 118,000 miles on vehicle. In July 2011, we were on vacation in Indiana and on our way to see family in Ohio. We were on the interstate and the vehicle would not excellerate over 40 - 45 mph., we stopped at an autozone to test the vehicle to see what the problem was and it cleared it. Since that time, the engine light would periodically come on. On September 15, 2011, the truck would not start. The truck is still at the mechanic to be repaired, we were advised the problem is the radiator leaking into the transmission causing transmission to fail. Cost is $6,000 to repair and truck has 127,000 miles on it. This is a consistant complaint of owners of this vehicle, however, Nissan does not want to do anything to correct the problem. This is my first and last Nissan.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Dec 012010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

At about 40,000 miles fuel gauge stopped working. And started having intermittent electrical problems. Headlights going on and off when in park. Fan starting when key is turned but not cranked. Anti-theft system locking me out from starting the truck. 70000 miles vehicle would intermittently not start. It would crank but not start. Took it to Nissan and was told nothing could be done on their part. I was told it was the ECU, bmu, tmu, and ipdm were all bad. I replaced the ipdm and bmu and ECU. Truck still ran rough. At 91000 miles Nissan now says my transmission is bad due to the radiator coolant leaking into the transmission but I am out of the 80000 mile warranty. Nissan said they will pay half to fix if I pay half of the $4600 transmission repair. Nissan can not explain why this happened but acknowledged that this is a big complaint of the 2005 Pathfinder.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 032010

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the air conditioner would not blow cold air when the vehicle was idled. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that there was a leak within the air conditioner. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the vehicle would experience trouble shifting into first or second gear. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jul 032011

Pathfinder

I was told by the dealer that my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder's electrical component was "dead." The car needs a new ipmd and ECM modules. The dealer quoted me a price of $2200 for parts and labor. After extensive research, I learned that there is currently a recall for this problem. My car is still with the dealer. I will advise them of the recall on Monday and request that my car is repaired.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jan 012011

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Consumer states several problems with the vehicle. She states that it is hard to start, paint is peeling, overdrive light comes on when braking to make a turn and a loud noise was coming from the motor.

- Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Nov 232010

Pathfinder

I received a recall letter from Nissan on November 23, 2010 stating the fuel sending unit may cause the fuel gauge to inaccurately display the amount of fuel in the tank, which it did, but when I took my car to the Nissan dealer to honor, they told my that I had to call corporate, called corporate and they gave me a file number and told me that my car was not in warranty for this recall. This problem has been going on for about 2 years now and now they will not honor there own recall.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jan 082011

Pathfinder

While driving at 40 mph on the lie my car stalled and would not accelerate while I had my sons in the car. Car completely died while moving on the middle of the highway without warning. I had to tow my car to the mechanic and was informed that is my fuse panel, this was in December 2010. I had the fuse panel replaced with an original part and it happened again in Jan. 2011 while driving with my family on the road.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 282010

Pathfinder

I bought the car in Feb. Of 2009 and by March of 2009 the fuel sensor started acting funny. It was not covered(which it should have been by the dealer) and I could not afford to pay out of pocket. Now the fuel level will read "- - -" when the tank is less than 1/4 a tank of gas and it also makes the "service engine light" come on. It is not safe for families to be driving with a defective fuel sensor. I did receive the something in the mail about a recall on the gas gauge, but my vehicle had just passed the 72000 mile mark(72135 roughly) so I was told that it was not covered and I would have to pay out of pocket for the problem. I have been looking online and the fix is very expensive $500 and up. On a one income home I cannot afford to pay for a part that should have been fixed by the dealer before I bought the vehicle! also, when locking the car the horn does not sound anymore. This is not a huge deal but I am wondering if it has something to do with the "service engine light" that came on because of the fuel sensor.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 012010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Twice stalled on the road leaving me with no brakes. Two close calls with my family on board. It sits in my driveway useless because of the fear I may be driving down the road and stalls all over again, this time at the wrong place or time causing serious injury or death!!!!

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Jun 182009

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact was traveling 40 mph when the vehicle became hesitant to the contacts attempts to accelerate. Seconds later, all of the dashboard lights were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the body electrical wires were replaced. The failure mileage was 57,000 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 032010

Pathfinder

2005 Nissan ipdm problems. After reading online everyone is having this problem. What are recalls for? 63,000 miles and a dead truck. The big company Nissan needs to step up and fix this small problem instead of milking consumers for unnecessary repairs "trying" to fix the problem.

- Farmville, NC, USA

Sep 082010

Pathfinder

The problem is the lost power / died randomly in various situations on the Nissan Pathfinder 2005. The failure has occurred at a low speed accelerating into an intersection, at a stop and go traffic, at a steady speed on a city road, and at a highway speed. The failure always occurs without warning or failure indication. I lost complete power; the "service engine soon" light comes on along with the other lights in the dashboard like if the key was just turn on without starting. This failure has been very scary for my family as it has occurred on the highway. No engine codes were found, so no repairs were attempted by the dealer. What is most discomforting is that when I did research on the web, I found that it is a very common problem with this model. Here is a one of the many links I found: www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2005/Nissan/Pathfinder/electrical+system.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 042010

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 5 mph the vehicle stalled. She stated that the vehicle stalled with no warning lights. She waited for a few minutes and attempted to restarted the vehicle but it did not start. She called a towing company and the vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer advised her that the intelligent power distribution module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by the dealer. The manufacturer stated that they were recalling certain vehicles for the failure but her vehicle was not a part of the recall. The contact was unable to provide a VIN. The approximate failure and current mileages were 75,000.

- Claremont, FL, USA

Aug 202010

Pathfinder

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Engine cuts off without warning while driving. Has happened twice in traffic, one time at a busy intersection. Vehicle starts about 20 minutes later. Took vehicle to dealer who advised that it's 'most likely' ipdm failure but they are unable to diagnose as it doesn't throw a code. Dealer kept car 5 days and "tried" to duplicate the failure to positively diagnose, but was unable to. The day after picking it up from the dealer the engine quit again in traffic. Now we are told that our warranty company will only cover if they can positively diagnose. My toddler was in the car the first time this occurred and our car died in the middle of an intersection between 2 6-lane roads. Couldn't remove the vehicle for 30 minutes. Just waiting for it to happen while merging on the interstate during rush hour traffic. Hopefully there are no injuries or fatalities as a result of this failure.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Aug 102010

Pathfinder

The fuel sensor went out on my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder and it is the same part that was recalled in the 2006 Pathfinders!!!!

- Turtletown, TN, USA

Jul 022010

Pathfinder

The 2005 Pathfinder has lost power / died randomly in various situations 4 times in two months. At low speed accelerating into an intersection, at a steady 30mph on a city road, and at 55mph on a highway. The failure occurs without warning. I lose complete power, the "service engine soon" light fades in and out along with other lights. This failure has been very scary for my family as it has occurred on the highway with my 15year old daughter learning to drive. She has also been stranded in the middle of an intersection as the vehicle is stalled and cannot be restarted. When trying to re-start, the engine will turn over and maintain a sputter, but not really run and not allow movement. No engine codes were found after two separate incidents, so no repairs were attempted.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Jun 102010

Pathfinder

Well, well, thank goodness for sites like this. I took my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE to the dealership....car had been bucking and stalling randomly. They played stupid at the dealership, even had the gall to suggest after running the $95 diagnostics that my car was fine. Yeah right. I just had nothing better to do than drop off a car in working condition... they suggested I leave the car there overnight and they would run the diagnostic again and voila...its the ipdm! they want around $600 to fix because its not under warranty. I've had to change the battery at 20K miles, replace the fuel sensors, take the car back and forth multiple times because sensors were going off for no apparent reason. Apparently this all comes back to that faulty ipdm that should've been looked at from the beginning--while under warranty. Now I've spent all this money on fixing things that this ipdm has created and now they find the source is the ipdm conveniently after warranty is expired"?? Nissan knows about this problem and I was told by a Nissan usa customer service rep that this part is on backorder because of widespread demand. Hmmmm...could it be because it doesn't work, is faulty and should be recalled???" yes. Nissan should be ashamed to put a car like this on the road with these known problems. I am done with this brand. Unsafe.

- Baldwin, NY, USA