Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 052012

My Nissan Pathfinder 2005 stall and wont acclerate I put a new engine 3500 a new gas pump350 a vale body 2000 now they want put another part 1600

- Garden City, KS, USA

Sep 052015

2012 Nissan repaired radiator; 2005 Nissan Pathfinder just lost reverse. It has 115,000 miles. Nissan should help with replacing reverse. Is this under a recall?

- Incline Village, NV, USA

Sep 012016

I have problems with catalic converter

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 052016

While pulling onto a busy highway my transmission malfunctioned and gears wouldn't shift properly. I barely avoided an accident. We contacted our local dealership & transmission shops to find out that tons of other people are having the same problem. The radiator hose/connection gets leak & radiator fluid is sent into transmission which corroded gears making the transmission slip or not function. We have spoken to Nissan usa themselves and got no where. I'm disgusteded that this is not a recall and people aren't being notified of this issue in 2005-2010 Pathfinder, frontier, &xterra. I have also had the frontier. Never once was I told that after or before my warranty went out that this specific part would malfunction. I'm continually told it's my fault for not getting extended warranty. I did have an extended warranty, but the issue at hand is one specific malfunctioning part not the age or warranty of my vehicle. This is complete disregard for human life and they said "sorry for the inconvenience." We also can't be included in the class action lawsuit because we are out of warranty. I really fail to see why this is not a recall instead of warranty. Do research and find that not only in my area but all over the usa people are having the same exact malfunction of the same exact part.. this should be a recall because I wouldn't have spent $5000 extra for an extended warranty if this would happen no matter what..

- Daphne, AL, USA

May 072016

We bought this SUV back in 2005 from my local Nissan dealer. There have been other issues like a faulty pedal which back on that date when it failed, it almost made me crash. They did fix that problem at my expense since they stated I was not covered by the warranty. Now, my car is 10 years old with 90K miles and the transmission just died while driving to my relatives wedding. I did the regular trans fluid service and a few hours later the transmission failed. I took it back to Nissan to get it checked. They want me to pay over $5,000 for a new transmission. I asked them why the transmission failed at only 90K miles. They did not give me any specific explanation as to why this happened. They only stated that "this type of Pathfinders have had a lot of problems" and that was it. I asked if there was any recall regarding this issue, the guy said no. I am left with no other choice than to pay the 5 grand to get my car fixed. They should not be selling faulty cars to consumers!!! I will never buy a Nissan vehicle ever again!

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Apr 302016

While driving my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder off road on april30th 2016, the vehicle abruptly stalled and shut down on the highway, while I was driving with my young children in the vehicle. This was an extreme dangerous life threating scary situation for my children any myself. Consequently, I was forced to get he vehicle towed and was informed by the mechanic, the transmission has failed and no longer is operative, even though the transmission has and continued to be properly maintained prior to the transmission failing incident on April 30th, 2016.

- Irvington, NJ, USA

Jan 152015

Cooling leaks into transmission causing vehicles to stall which can cause crash. Nissan America advise they all are aware of problem. Had no resolution advised the would repair for $3000. The vehicle hesitate when pressing the gas

- Fresno, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Radiator leaked into transmission. Causing transmission failure. Also something went wrong and now they say there is something wrong with the seat that causes the passenger airbag not to work.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Nov 032015

The radiator cooling system leaked into my transmission and caused it to stop working so I need to replace it at a cost of $5400 for transmission and radiator is $1000. I was in motion when I first felt a trimmer every now and then for about 3 weeks then it got worst at any speed or surface and places. Nissan will not help me on this because it has 120497 miles on it. I explained to Nissan if they had sent out notice about this I would have gotten my car fixed before now. I can not get anyone to help me on this. I have read on the internet that I am not alone on this situation. Can anyone help. I have bought several new Nissan but I will buy no more and I really loved my Pathfinder.

- North Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Mar 022015

Issues with the transmission. Began with radiator issues. Come to find out, there has been many issues with coolant mixing into places it shouldn't. then the torque converter went out, and now the safety neutral switch and valve body. Very short engineering and problem after problem obviously known to Nissan but no recalls reported.

- Wadesboro, NC, USA

Sep 172015

After receiving a complimentary multi-point inspection from the local Nissan dealership, my wife told me that on the way home that the transmission seemed to not want to shift properly. Went to check transmission fluid and found that the dipstick is locked into place. Did some quick research to find out how to check fluid level and then found out about issue with Nissan Pathfinders radiators having a problem with leaking coolant into the transmission cooling system. Checked radiator and found frothing foam on the inside of the pressure cap indicating that the radiator had failed. Contacted dealership and asked them why the section of the inspection for the cooling system and transmission system were checked as "ok". did not receive an answer. Also, we were never notified by Nissan about the issue with radiator in our Nissan. The vehicle is currently parked since the dealership said it would cost up to $3000 dollars in repairs under the agreement reached. I do not understand why this was not a recall. This situation could of caused a catastrophic failure of the transmission at speed while driving or catastrophic failure of the engine because of lack of cooling causing the engine to seize up at speed while driving.

- Rockbridge Baths, VA, USA

Jul 022015

As I was driving and leaving the parking lot on to a busy intersection my car would not move as I stepped on the gas. Thankfully the cars behind me weren't going to fast so I was able to make it home finally at a speed of 20 mph. The car will not go into gear. We recently took our car into aamco and they told us it the engine coolant had been leaking into the transmission and there is damage to the transmission. I researched the problem and realized what happened to so many people has happened to me. Nissan wants me to take the car to their dealership and pay $125 for an estimate. I explained aamco did the estimate for free but Nissan doesn't want to hear about that. Now the car is sitting in my garage since July. $3500 for repairs is almost impossible at this time. Nissan needs to take care of this problem. I was never notified about any problems with this car. But I did receive my mail when they knew I was due for an oil change. My car is a 2005 and I have 100,055 miles. Payments were made on time always for this car and I paid it in off in full in 2010. The least Nissan can do is take care of this problem.

- Upland, CA, USA

Nov 042014

The vehiccle has transmission and radiator problem as diagnoised by the Nissan dealer technicia. Nissan knows about this issue with this models and they have to fix this issue as it is originated at the time of manufacturing process. Its a production defect and Nissan has to fix this.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Mar 122013

I was driving my 2005 nissian Pathfinder when the transmission started smoking and I had a puddle of transmission fluid under the truck. It was a tannish color and milky looking. When towed to nissian the service manager verified it was the coolant leaked into the transmission and caused the transmission to fail.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Apr 162015

Transmission failure because of radiator blowing out and letting antifreeze mix with transmission fluid

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 202015

Nissan 112 report (dated 4/20/15) customer claims transmission is not shifting correctly at 40 and 60 mph it is chugging and holding back diagnosis: Car needs a trans and rad. There is coolant inside of the trans and there is trans fluid in the rad. They need to repl. Rad and transmission and flush out system - est. On repairs would be about $5500 to $6000.

- Sayville, NY, USA

Apr 162015

Timing chain noise. I'll stop by the mechanics shop and they said this is the problem Nissan has a lot of issues with the timing chain and it needs to be recalled by Nissan.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 102015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

On 03/5/15 I took my truck in to the dealer for an oil change. Was told that the radiator coolant was getting into transmission which was causing a leak in my truck. I was asked if I saw any leaks in my driveway which I did not. I was shown the radiator cover which had white foam on it. I did not have $6000 to fix my truck. I was told in about a month the transmission would cause problem. I was also told their was a recall which I had passed the mileage point. I was given the number to contact corporate which I did. They told me they would investigate. Now my truck is dealer kept. They saw were I was at the dealer up North and did a full diagnostic and numerous repairs on 03/3/14, 3/4/14, 3/10/14, 4/22/14 & 5/5/14. I received a call back from corporate within two day informing me that their was nothing they could do for me. I did not drive the truck from that day. I decided to take it for a second opinion so on 03/10/15 on my way to a service station my truck started to over heat on the highway and smoking. I had to have it towed to the mechanic and that is were the truck is to this day. If Nissan knew of this problem why did they not notify consumers so that we could have a mechanic do a bypass before this occur. It seems to be happening to alot of consumers after the cut off of the causing the short circuit, transmission computer is inside 100,000 mileage. The lawsuit only covered up to 100,000" what about the consumers that this affect after that mileages marker. This is so unfair to the consumer" my truck was at the dealer on a regular basis. I see online were consumers that were not affected had took it into their own hands to have the wiring re-routed to avoid this problem. I live in a state were I need a vehicle to get around. This is a major default of Nissan and a major problem with more complaints than they themselves can count.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Feb 012014

In short the transmission in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is and has failed. I was in a very dangerous situation on the hyway and jeopardized my family's and my life. The defective transmission/radiator breakdown is a serious situation and a known issue with these vehicles. My radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and failed. The amount to repair this vehicle and make this a safe vehicle is more than we can afford. I feel this faulty product should be recalled and necessary repairs made or a reimbursement made on behalf of Nissan.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Aug 222013

Started having trouble with transmission. Had it checked and it is caused by the radiator.

- Hull, MA, USA