Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 11 of 19)

Jul 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We purchased our Pathfinder from a dealership June 1, 2012. On July 2, 2013 we were driving back home and the transmission started to slip. Upon researching online immediately when we got home, we found that many, many others had the same issue and that it is caused by faulty design of the radiator and transmission. The radiator cracks and leaks directly into the transmission so there is no warning that there is an issue until it's too late. The next morning I immediately drove it to our nearest Nissan dealer to have it checked out. They informed me after my description of what was going on that indeed, that is probably what was wrong but they couldn't get me in to check it out for another 6 days (and it would be $109) to diagnose. They also informed me that Nissan has issued a conditional warranty of them. Up to 80,000 miles, they cover any expense past $2,500. Up to 90,00 miles, they cover any expense past $3,000. Up to 100,00 they cover any expense past $3,500. There is no coverage past 100,000 miles and the average cost to repair is $7000. Our transmission failed at 108,000 miles. Now we are stuck paying out of pocket for a flawed design that Nissan acknowledges is their fault. How is there not a mandatory recall on these models and Nissan not required to replace these issues in full on their dime.. for their mistake" the conditional warranty offered is a joke and I am infuriated that Nissan is not covering our flawed vehicle also. This failure is in no wise due to any neglect or misuse of the owner/operator's part. Where is the responsibility for this product? why must we continue to promote a mindset of neglecting responsibility for what we produce? where is the quality? where is the follow-through"

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 112013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

500 miles away from home on vacation. Went for routine oil change only to find transmission fluid in the radiator and coolant in the transmission. Had to purchase a new radiator and have both systems flushed for a total of $1,300 dollars. The transmission seemed good on the way home, but would like to be reimbursed the $1,300 and have some piece of mind that Nissan will cover the transmission if it goes out.

- Scottsboro, AL, USA

Jul 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator coolant leaking in transmission.

- Hempstead, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My transmission failed because the cooling lines that run through the radiator cracked allowing the coolants to mix. I will have to replace the transmission and the radiator.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jun 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator failed allowing coolant to contaminate transmission causing it to fail as well. I really like this vehicle and I feel Nissan should pay to fix all of these affected since it is a known equipment failure and has happened at such a wide range of mileage. I had this one checked at 60,000 miles and had no problem with neither part and I have been watching it regularly but didn't catch it in time when it finally went. I am an ase certified mechanic for the last 20+ years and once a transmission is contaminated with coolant there is only on fix and that is to replace or rebuild.....not just a flush and send on your way!

- Chaffee, MO, USA

Jun 192013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving at a substantial speed of 40mph car just stopped even though car was still running. Radiator and transmission went all of a sudden. Was almost rear ended. Had towed to Nissan dealer in turnersville NJ. They stated that it was 12,000 of extended warranty that was issued a year or so ago. I was never notified of a class action suit and that this problem would occur all of a sudden as I was driving. Apparently a faulty radiator caused fluid to go into transmission and destroy it making car just stop running in the middle of a highway. The regional office told me I did not get a notice because I was the second owner. I was willing to pay a $3,000 copay but they would not even approve that. Now they want 5,900 to replace the transmission and radiator. The car is only worth 8 or 9 thousand. I am 67 years old and do not have that kind of money. I am in a hopeless situation. Please assist.

- Erial, NJ, USA

Apr 202013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was on vacation in Virginia, heading back to ct when my cars ability to accelerate stopped on the highway. Luckily my husband was driving and could feel the difference in the car. He started changing lanes and glided the vehicle to the shoulder. My husband, our 16 year old son, his friend, and our 4 year old niece and I were in the car. We waited for triple a, were towed to a pepboys facility, (the only facility I could think would be open on a Saturday) for them to tell us that they could not assist us with the issue our vehicle was having. The tow truck towed us to a triple a facility which was closed. We had to get lodging for the evening and pay triple a facility approximately $100 to tell us our transmission was done and it would cost us anywhere between $5000 and $8000 to have repaired. I then had to pay for a rental car, and a addition $1200+ dollars to have our car towed back to ct. I know have $5000 to repair my car to find out Nissan is aware of this issue. My family could have been injured loosing our transmission on the highway that day. It really bothers me that Nissan knew the possibility of this failure. Considering I just brought my car in October of 2011.

- Newington, CT, USA

Jun 212013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle overheated and radiator fluid contaminated the transmission. I spoke with Nissan and asserted that this is a known factory defect. Nissan refuses to honor or warranty repair costs.

- Cottekill, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder because I had a Nissan Altima that I loved but needed a bigger vehicle. I have only had it for 8 months and while driving down the road it completely stopped and wouldn't go. I had all 5 kids in the car with me this could have been really bad and we could have been hit. I can't afford to pay $5000 to have it fixed! I have been researching and it looks like this is something that has been happening alot!! I have 5 kids and I carry them in this car everyday! if it stops in the middle of the road with no warning this is a safety issue N needs a recall or deaths are going to start happening! please help!!!!!

- Easley, SC, USA

Jun 212013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Coolant leaked in to transmission causing damage to both radiator and transmission.

- Troy, TX, USA

Jun 182013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

After driving around I had milky substance coming out of the over flow. When I checked it, the transmission was dry and it had mixed in the with radiator fluid. On a short trip before it was realized what had happen, the transmission was slipping and shifting hard.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 092012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The engine looses power when driving. I took it to a mechanic and he told me that Pathfinder transmission tend to fail or go bad. Transmissions on car should last longer. The Pathfinder there has been cases where at 100,000 miles it already needs a new transmission. My Pathfinder makes a loud noise when im driving. Sometimes it takes a while for it to go at a normal speed. This should not be happening at this point. Nissan should tend to this problem and fix it.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 192013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated while at a traffic light he attempted to accelerate but the vehicle failed to move. When he down shift, the transmission and the vehicle then began to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the contact was informed the transmission and radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 97,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 152013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

There was a jerk in my car and the check engine light came on. I pressed the gas and it wouldn't go anywhere. The radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and caused the my car to stop.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 012012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My vehicle is suffering the fate of countless others. I have the coolant intermix issue that has ruined my radiator and transmission. Now, I am outside the warranty period and I need a new transmission costing $4500! Nissan needs to recall this--I have spent thousands already and it simply isn't fair that they are trying to put a bandaid on a defect that has harmed and could continue to harm thousands of consumers. Please fix this!

- Surprise, AZ, USA

May 292012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While returning from lunch break, I pressed the accelerator on my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle hesitated and did not accelerate. It sounded as if it was idling but there was very little to no movement. This happened in the middle of the highway. After having the trucked towed and the problem assessed, I was told that the transmission and the radiator had to be replaced. This comes with a hefty price tag. In the mechanics explanation of the problems he asserted "you have heard about these Pathfinders, haven't you". well, I researched and found that the failed transmission and radiator is not a new occurrence. This has been and is happening regularly and there is no recall. This puts consumers in a bad position, especially when, like me, the warranty is expired. I am still waiting for a transmission to be shipped from California. By the way, I found out that it is on backorder. That's just how frequently this problem occurs. Make sure you purchase extended warranties and/or trade it before this happens to you. Or even worse someone is seriously hurt physically not just financially.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Feb 052011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The timing chain has come loose due to the failure of a timing chain guide inside the motor. The plastic or rubber piece attached to the aluminum guide becomes separated from the base and falls down below the guide causing the timing chain to loose tension and rattle against the aluminum timing cover. This loosening of the timing chain causes the chain to rattle against the timing cover which could wear a hole or cause timing chain failure, could even cause the loose chain to jump a sprocket tooth a cause the engine to malfunction due to valves hitting the tops of the piston and causing bent valves and engine shut down. This is a common Nissan problem with the 3.5 liter V6 engine. Nissan needs to replace these poorly manufactured components. Many videos on youtube can be found on this problem with the 3.5 liter V6 engine. Many have complaint that Nissan will not recall nor pay for the repair.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 092013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My wife reported her Pathfinder hesitating, noticeable lack in power, and a decrease in mpg. Before our family was about to travel to another state (New Mexico to Colorado) I decided to do my own little pre trip inspection. I pulled the air filter and blew it out with air, checked the oil dipstick and it read in operating range, when I pulled the transmission dipstick it was covered with contaminated oil. The engine coolant is mixing with the transmission fluid in the heat exchanger cooler. If this vehicle is driven any longer transmission failure is imminent.

- Farmington, NM, USA

May 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Less than one week after hitting 100K miles, I started hearing a noise coming from the engine on my way home from work. As I entered the highway the car lost all power and wouldn't change gears, the engine would rev. But the car wouldn't kick into gear. Luckily I was able to coast off highway safely (during rush hour & with all of the oncoming traffic, it was a very dangerous situation to be in) on the last exit before the toll bridge (which is over a mile long with no shoulder & if I got stuck there, I would have received ticket for over $600). I have keep excellent care of this car, taking it to the dealership for suggested services and now I've now found that Nissan has been aware of this problem and rather than recalling the parts, or making sure that the owners of these vehicles are aware of this, they have provided an extended the warranty. I've also found as they know about this problem they set the extended warranty at two different levels and 80K and 100K and that they are expecting most failure over the 100K mark and setting things up that way, they don't expect to honor any liability with most of these failures due to their faulty engineering. I've been trying to get them to work with me but since I now have 100,225 miles (just barley over the 100K mark!!!) they refuse to help with any of the extended warranty assistance (which I would still have to pay $3000 before tax as a deductible). This is a very costly repair, when I initially was looking into purchasing a Nissan, I had the understanding that they were reliable and if taken care of would run for well over 200K and that Nissan would stand by their product. Dealing with this situation and through research I now see that their bottom line is more important than customer satisfaction and safety!

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 012013

The radiator broke where it let coolant go into transmission and it ruin the transmission I purchase the car new in 2006 no one told me anything about this will happened and the Nissan corporation knew about this problem it will cost more than $7,000 in repair.

- American Canyon, CA, USA