Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 7 of 19)

Aug 292013

Vehicle started making a whining noise coming from the engine area that increases with rpms and was taken to dealer and said to be faulty timing chain tensioner. Was manufactured with plastic parts for this model had price quoted to approx $3000 to repair!

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jun 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator coolant leaked into transmission, killing transmission.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 272014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Same issue as all others, drive a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder and was happy until 125tsd miles never a big repair. Now I have the same issue faulty radiator kills silent the transmission. Did visit the dealer for every service even as the problem starts little by little. First a unpleasant shifting, dealer recommends a transmission flush before the official service interval, done. After we are still not happy as we can tell the transmission shifts different as we did know it from before. See the Nissan dealer again, they write the order with the customer complaint, "customer complains about transmission problems". written statement of the dealer, transmission checked no issues found. Some miles later, total fall out of the transmission special the tcu. Good customer will not see now dealer again but a lawyer.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Apr 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Engine coolant hose ruptured into the transmission fluid. First noticed it when the engine was running hot. Found out this is a factory defect.

- Cut Off, LA, USA

May 232014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan Pathfinder just got to 100,000 miles when started experiencing transmission issues, turns out there was a factory warranty that I was never informed of that would have covered the radiator/transmission issue. However because I was not having an issue until the extended warranty ended Nissan is refusing to cover the cost of repairs despite knowing about this engineering fault. It is extremely frustrating that a large company such as Nissan is able to send a vehicle out into the public with known engineering flaws and put a mileage limit on repairing the issue. It is something that will inevitably fail but it is only a matter of time so it might have occurred within the limit for some and outside the limit for others. It is my hope that you will expose this shady and unsafe practice that Nissan has going and help get people the repairs they deserve.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jun 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Had issue with transmission.brought to mechanic and found out that radiator was cracked and ruined transmission. Was told by mechanic that this was common with this vehicle.went in internet and found all kinds of info about same problem. I feel if I was notified from Nissan earlier I would not have to pay for extended warranty 2500.00.would have been free for under 80,000 car has 80,743 miles.not happy with Nissan, will not ever buy another.

- Ocean View, NJ, USA

Jun 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I noticed a shudder when the car was shifting, my mechanic test drove it and sent me to the transmission shop. The gentleman there told me that it was a transmission problem. He also said that this was a common problem with this year Pathfinder. He thought that since this was a common problem that Nissan had extended the warranty. I later found that the warranty had been extended but not enough to include my truck. Very disappointed in Nissan, I have owned 4 Pathfinders and several other cars made by Nissan. I thought they would take better care of loyal customers.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Jul 192013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Coolant leaking into transmission causing failure and slippage. When coming to abrupt stops transmission "jerks" and "bucks" also, upon accelerating, transmission slips and is unable to accelerate properly. Safety issue with proper driving capability.

- Greentown, PA, USA

May 312014

Vehicle transmission stopped shifting while driving in traffic. Sounded like vehicle couldn't switch gears any longer. This is serious problem and lucky it did not result in an accident. We have kept the vehicle on the proper maintenance schedule. With so many complaints this needs to be a recall.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 252014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Noticed vehicle pulling off sluggish and wasn't shifting gears. When I made it home, I had it checked out and found transmission fluid mixing with the engine coolant. I started searching online for recall and found this is a common problem, but there isn't a recall to fix the issue. I also didn't know they extended the warranty to 80,000 miles to only have the radiator replaced. They to do something to fix the problem and make it right for their customers.

- St. Francisville, LA, USA

Apr 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator developed a crack which leaked into transmission - both had to be replaced. We were told, due to a class action settlement in 2013, we were responsible for a deductible of $2,500 since our vehicle started problem after 80,000 and past March 1, 2014. Did not realize this problem until we took vehicle in, by that time mid April 2014 and at 81,990. This should be a recall.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

May 202014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving down the road, vehicle becomes sluggish. Notice that the temperature begins to rise rapidly. In afternoon work traffic and have difficulty negotiating traffic trying not to break down in the middle of a busy road/intersection at 5:20pm. Vehicle was take to a repair shop where I was informed that the radiator had ruptured, thus sending coolant into the transmission and transmission fluid into the engine. Current estimate is approx $3000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My truck was shifting really hard for approximately two or three days and I took it to a service shop to have them take a look at it and they found radiator fluid had leaked into the transmission on my truck. I had no idea this was something that was a known issue by Nissan, after doing some research I found that because I didn't meet the strict requirements for them to cover any cost or out of pocket expenses for the repair I had the service center replace the defective radiator only to find that there was damage done to the transmission too, looking at a cost of over $4,500 I was very disappointed with Nissan's lack of commitment to taking care of their customers who were experiencing this issue namely me.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 242014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Corrosion in radiator parts allowed coolant to contaminate transmission fluid resulting in failure of transmission.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

May 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Came to stop at light. Tried to accelerate and transmission was not engaging. Eventually was able to put car in 1st gear and transmission engaged. Was able to pull off road. Turned off vehicle and tried to engage any gear. Transmission totally gone.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

May 062014

Wife was driving home from work. Was in middle lane of traffic stopped at red light. Tried to accelerate but transmission would not engage. Eventually transmission worked for a few seconds. Pulled off road. Inspected vehicle. All gears (including reverse) do not engage. Did some online research this evening and looks like this is a very common problem. Why has there not be a recall for this problem?

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

May 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Tried to sell the car and the buyer pointed out that the radiator must of cracked and mixed with the transmission fluid. He did not buy the car and now I am being told that I have to replace the transmission and the radiator. Apparently this is a huge problem on these cars and they need to fix this. Very upset and will never buy a Nissan again.

- Warren, MI, USA

Apr 292013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Contamination of radiator and transmission fluids. Should have been a Nissan recall to fix the problem. Now 10,000 to repair and I put the bill and tell me to take home and park it. Transmission could go out anytime. Why no recall and where is justice here. I trade cars when my finances allow me to, not when I have to, so this is my complaint will Nissan be held accountable? I know there's many more people out there with the same problem and Nissan should be accountable because it could have been corrected.

- Bruno, WV, USA

Apr 182014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving yesterday night when my car started jerking and stopped suddenly on the highway, thankfully the cars behind me were able to stop avoiding a crash because there was lots of traffic, but otherwise, this would have been a fatal crash. The car would not move for several minutes, people had to help push it off the highway. Then after a while it started moving again. I was able to drive the car, jerking all the way back to my house. I had previously noticed a jerking whenever I am accelerating or decelerating, I took it to the dealership and they informed me that it was an issue with the transmission of Pathfinders owing to a defect in manufacture that causes radiator fluid to mix with coolant affecting the transmission. They flushed the transmission but the jerking continued. I was searching the internet on this and saw many complaint on this. This issue need to be resolved. I am glad I was spared but life's are being put in danger.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 052014

Took my car in for brand new tires..mechanic attempted to start my car, but failed. Had to get my car towed to a Nissan dealership and they stated 24 hours later after receiving my car I will need a new transmission and radiator although my car was maintained and always serviced. They stated I will need to pay $6,000 for repairs to drive my car. Right now I am paying a car note and can't drive my car.

- Snellville , GA, USA