CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 8 of 19)

Apr 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My truck was shifting really hard for approximately two or three days and I took it to a service shop to have them take a look at it and they found radiator fluid had leaked into the transmission on my truck. I had no idea this was something that was a known issue by Nissan, after doing some research I found that because I didn't meet the strict requirements for them to cover any cost or out of pocket expenses for the repair I had the service center replace the defective radiator only to find that there was damage done to the transmission too, looking at a cost of over $4,500 I was very disappointed with Nissan's lack of commitment to taking care of their customers who were experiencing this issue namely me.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 242014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Corrosion in radiator parts allowed coolant to contaminate transmission fluid resulting in failure of transmission.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

May 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Came to stop at light. Tried to accelerate and transmission was not engaging. Eventually was able to put car in 1st gear and transmission engaged. Was able to pull off road. Turned off vehicle and tried to engage any gear. Transmission totally gone.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

May 062014

Pathfinder

Wife was driving home from work. Was in middle lane of traffic stopped at red light. Tried to accelerate but transmission would not engage. Eventually transmission worked for a few seconds. Pulled off road. Inspected vehicle. All gears (including reverse) do not engage. Did some online research this evening and looks like this is a very common problem. Why has there not be a recall for this problem?

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

May 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Tried to sell the car and the buyer pointed out that the radiator must of cracked and mixed with the transmission fluid. He did not buy the car and now I am being told that I have to replace the transmission and the radiator. Apparently this is a huge problem on these cars and they need to fix this. Very upset and will never buy a Nissan again.

- Warren, MI, USA

Apr 292013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Contamination of radiator and transmission fluids. Should have been a Nissan recall to fix the problem. Now 10,000 to repair and I put the bill and tell me to take home and park it. Transmission could go out anytime. Why no recall and where is justice here. I trade cars when my finances allow me to, not when I have to, so this is my complaint will Nissan be held accountable? I know there's many more people out there with the same problem and Nissan should be accountable because it could have been corrected.

- Bruno, WV, USA

Apr 182014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving yesterday night when my car started jerking and stopped suddenly on the highway, thankfully the cars behind me were able to stop avoiding a crash because there was lots of traffic, but otherwise, this would have been a fatal crash. The car would not move for several minutes, people had to help push it off the highway. Then after a while it started moving again. I was able to drive the car, jerking all the way back to my house. I had previously noticed a jerking whenever I am accelerating or decelerating, I took it to the dealership and they informed me that it was an issue with the transmission of Pathfinders owing to a defect in manufacture that causes radiator fluid to mix with coolant affecting the transmission. They flushed the transmission but the jerking continued. I was searching the internet on this and saw many complaint on this. This issue need to be resolved. I am glad I was spared but life's are being put in danger.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 052014

Pathfinder

Took my car in for brand new tires..mechanic attempted to start my car, but failed. Had to get my car towed to a Nissan dealership and they stated 24 hours later after receiving my car I will need a new transmission and radiator although my car was maintained and always serviced. They stated I will need to pay $6,000 for repairs to drive my car. Right now I am paying a car note and can't drive my car.

- Snellville , GA, USA

Jan 082013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My radiator failed and possibly leaked radiator fluid into my transmission, via an internal radiator cooler. This is a widely known problem with this model and year. Involving a class action lawsuit. My mechanic caught this problem early enough that my transmission wasn't completely destroyed. The resulting repair was $900 plus $200 for a transmission flush as a safeguard to possible radiator fluid that may have gotten into the transmission. I was outside of the mileage extension for warranty and since my transmission wasn't destroyed I didn't qualify for any help from the class action lawsuit. The repairs on this vehicle are staggering I currently have a fuel sending unit issue that is the subject of a recall but my vehicle is outside of the warranty extension. This is a poorly made vehicle that has cost me thousands in repairs. Nissan needs to be held accountable. Nissan will not take responsibility and keeps telling me to go to a dealer to get my vehicle repaired. So frustrating.

- North Berwick Me, ME, USA

Feb 012011

Pathfinder

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder from a dealer less than 1 year ago. At the time of purchase I noticed a slight jump in shifting. I brought this to my sales mans attention and he assured me that this was common in "trucks". considering I never owned a truck I took this information as factual and purchased the vehicle. My vehicle now not even 1 year later is shifting worse and shaking at about 45 mph. We took our vehicle for another option at a local mechanic and he notified us of a class action suit against Nissan for the same issues we are experiencing. It was told to us that our coolant via the radiator is leaking into our transmission causing our transmission and radiator to be swapped. We do not have the money for this. We were told by Nissan Consumer Affairs that because our vehicles mileage was now over 90K that our co-pay for the repair would be $3000. This is unacceptable considering we just purchased this vehicle. We need your help to push for a recall as it appears there are thousands of cases online of the same exact issues happening in the same model & year. Please advise. Please help. Thank you kindly

- Akron, OH, USA

Mar 212014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

This vehicle's timing chain, automatic transmission, and radiator need to be replaced due to premature mechanical failures. The radiator is faulty and the radiator coolant now mixes with the transmission causing transmission failure. Repair costs are around $8000. A quick look at "Nissan radiator/transmission cooler litigation" on the internet reveals class action lawsuits filed for these same complaints via thousands of consumers. This is a widespread problem known by Nissan and they have not issued any recalls or warned the consumer of these problems. Nissan has offered some owners extended warranties but nothing above 100,000 miles for those with consequential damage to their transmissions due to their knowingly defective radiators. Clearly, Toyota's recent acceptance of a $1.2 billion federal fine for deliberately concealing auto defects and safety risks from its buyers and general motor's current regulatory woes because they cynically judged their vehicles defects not recallable when they clearly are, these are signs that enough is enough. To have faulty products is one thing, but to not inform a consumer of a faulty product that will further destroy their vehicles is reprehensible.

- East Longmeadow , MA, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car shudders and shakes at low and high speeds. At stops car will rev high before accelerating. Engines stalls on both freeway and highway. Had ECM replaced a week ago. Had a 6 point inspection and was told all is fine. Vehicle is very dangerous.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Mar 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Fluid from radiator leaked into transmission which destroyed both.

- Billings, MT, USA

Mar 132014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Noted that transmission was slipping when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear as well as issues with radiator fan coming on at idle along with no heat at idle. Took vehicle to two separate car repairs to identify the problem and was told that vehicle had failed transmission cooler which allows coolant to mix with the transmission fluid, causing internal damage to the components. Was advised that repairs would be upwards of $3K to replace transmission.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Feb 012014

Auto transmission/radiator.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Sudden jerking in vehicle when traveling at highway speeds. The problem has been diagnosed as a failed transmission cooler which allows coolant to mix with the transmission fluid, causing internal damage to the components.

- West Gardiner, ME, USA

Feb 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2006 Nissan Pathfinder - took in for tune-up and was notified about broken seam on radiator. Coolant was leaking into the transmission. Ended up spending over $1,000 on a new radiator and repairs and may need a new transmission. Researched the defected parts and discovered that this is a common problem with Nissan Pathfinders. Nissan needs to issue a recall for this problem. They know it exists, and it is irresponsible of them to do nothing about it. It is a safety concern.

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Was told my tony autoplex that my coolant is leaking into the transmission and need to be replaced. Was told there was an extended warranty on it but because I am over 80,000 they can't help me. I called customer service and I was told that because I am over 100,000 they can't help me. I am upset because both places told me that its a common problem. So why wasn't I notified to get it checked before the 80,000 & 100,000 mileage? that's what pissed me off. A huge expense, inconvenience, and no accountability to help fix a problem they already new existed..now I have to wait till someone from the regional office calls me back regarding my complaint because the person in customer service is in the philippines.....could not get most of my questions answered...poor service and support...

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jan 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I am having a very hardtime with this vehicle. Just bought on June 2013 from used dealership. It is mixing the antifreeze with transmission fluid. I have no other vehicle. And need to get around. My family depends on a good useful vehicle. That will not break down just anywhere. And will not cost thousands to repair.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Jan 282014

Pathfinder

Had been experiencing some issues which I thought was transmission. I took car to dealer April 2013 and was told car was in good mechanical order. On January 28, 2014 while driving 40 mph on indian head highway with my elderly parents the car made a loud noise and speed significantly reduced. I was not able to increase speed or shift to another gear. I was able to drift to shoulder and stop car. I had the car towed to dealer and was told that the radiator had a crack causing coolant to leak into transmission thereby ruining (forever) the transmission. After research discovered that this is a known problem of the 06 Nissan Pathfinder. This issue should have been recalled. If I was on the highway going at high speed this could have caused a major accident.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA