Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 8 of 19)

Jan 082013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My radiator failed and possibly leaked radiator fluid into my transmission, via an internal radiator cooler. This is a widely known problem with this model and year. Involving a class action lawsuit. My mechanic caught this problem early enough that my transmission wasn't completely destroyed. The resulting repair was $900 plus $200 for a transmission flush as a safeguard to possible radiator fluid that may have gotten into the transmission. I was outside of the mileage extension for warranty and since my transmission wasn't destroyed I didn't qualify for any help from the class action lawsuit. The repairs on this vehicle are staggering I currently have a fuel sending unit issue that is the subject of a recall but my vehicle is outside of the warranty extension. This is a poorly made vehicle that has cost me thousands in repairs. Nissan needs to be held accountable. Nissan will not take responsibility and keeps telling me to go to a dealer to get my vehicle repaired. So frustrating.

- North Berwick Me, ME, USA

Feb 012011

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder from a dealer less than 1 year ago. At the time of purchase I noticed a slight jump in shifting. I brought this to my sales mans attention and he assured me that this was common in "trucks". considering I never owned a truck I took this information as factual and purchased the vehicle. My vehicle now not even 1 year later is shifting worse and shaking at about 45 mph. We took our vehicle for another option at a local mechanic and he notified us of a class action suit against Nissan for the same issues we are experiencing. It was told to us that our coolant via the radiator is leaking into our transmission causing our transmission and radiator to be swapped. We do not have the money for this. We were told by Nissan Consumer Affairs that because our vehicles mileage was now over 90K that our co-pay for the repair would be $3000. This is unacceptable considering we just purchased this vehicle. We need your help to push for a recall as it appears there are thousands of cases online of the same exact issues happening in the same model & year. Please advise. Please help. Thank you kindly

- Akron, OH, USA

Mar 212014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

This vehicle's timing chain, automatic transmission, and radiator need to be replaced due to premature mechanical failures. The radiator is faulty and the radiator coolant now mixes with the transmission causing transmission failure. Repair costs are around $8000. A quick look at "Nissan radiator/transmission cooler litigation" on the internet reveals class action lawsuits filed for these same complaints via thousands of consumers. This is a widespread problem known by Nissan and they have not issued any recalls or warned the consumer of these problems. Nissan has offered some owners extended warranties but nothing above 100,000 miles for those with consequential damage to their transmissions due to their knowingly defective radiators. Clearly, Toyota's recent acceptance of a $1.2 billion federal fine for deliberately concealing auto defects and safety risks from its buyers and general motor's current regulatory woes because they cynically judged their vehicles defects not recallable when they clearly are, these are signs that enough is enough. To have faulty products is one thing, but to not inform a consumer of a faulty product that will further destroy their vehicles is reprehensible.

- East Longmeadow , MA, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car shudders and shakes at low and high speeds. At stops car will rev high before accelerating. Engines stalls on both freeway and highway. Had ECM replaced a week ago. Had a 6 point inspection and was told all is fine. Vehicle is very dangerous.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Mar 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Fluid from radiator leaked into transmission which destroyed both.

- Billings, MT, USA

Mar 132014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Noted that transmission was slipping when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear as well as issues with radiator fan coming on at idle along with no heat at idle. Took vehicle to two separate car repairs to identify the problem and was told that vehicle had failed transmission cooler which allows coolant to mix with the transmission fluid, causing internal damage to the components. Was advised that repairs would be upwards of $3K to replace transmission.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Feb 012014

Auto transmission/radiator.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Sudden jerking in vehicle when traveling at highway speeds. The problem has been diagnosed as a failed transmission cooler which allows coolant to mix with the transmission fluid, causing internal damage to the components.

- West Gardiner, ME, USA

Feb 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2006 Nissan Pathfinder - took in for tune-up and was notified about broken seam on radiator. Coolant was leaking into the transmission. Ended up spending over $1,000 on a new radiator and repairs and may need a new transmission. Researched the defected parts and discovered that this is a common problem with Nissan Pathfinders. Nissan needs to issue a recall for this problem. They know it exists, and it is irresponsible of them to do nothing about it. It is a safety concern.

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Was told my tony autoplex that my coolant is leaking into the transmission and need to be replaced. Was told there was an extended warranty on it but because I am over 80,000 they can't help me. I called customer service and I was told that because I am over 100,000 they can't help me. I am upset because both places told me that its a common problem. So why wasn't I notified to get it checked before the 80,000 & 100,000 mileage? that's what pissed me off. A huge expense, inconvenience, and no accountability to help fix a problem they already new I have to wait till someone from the regional office calls me back regarding my complaint because the person in customer service is in the philippines.....could not get most of my questions answered...poor service and support...

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jan 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I am having a very hardtime with this vehicle. Just bought on June 2013 from used dealership. It is mixing the antifreeze with transmission fluid. I have no other vehicle. And need to get around. My family depends on a good useful vehicle. That will not break down just anywhere. And will not cost thousands to repair.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Jan 282014

Had been experiencing some issues which I thought was transmission. I took car to dealer April 2013 and was told car was in good mechanical order. On January 28, 2014 while driving 40 mph on indian head highway with my elderly parents the car made a loud noise and speed significantly reduced. I was not able to increase speed or shift to another gear. I was able to drift to shoulder and stop car. I had the car towed to dealer and was told that the radiator had a crack causing coolant to leak into transmission thereby ruining (forever) the transmission. After research discovered that this is a known problem of the 06 Nissan Pathfinder. This issue should have been recalled. If I was on the highway going at high speed this could have caused a major accident.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving on interstate 75 in atlanta, ga at the beginning of rush-hour when my vehicle suddenly started jerking. This is a 6 lane highway and I was riding in the center lane. While attempting to work my way to the right shoulder, I was unable to accelerate because my transmission was unresponsive. I had to hit the accelerator really hard to get out of the way of 18 wheelers and other fast moving vehicles. Thankfully, I was able to get the vehicle out of the way of on-coming traffic without incident. I had my vehicle towed to town center Nissan, which is where I take it for regular servicing and was informed on Friday 1/24/14 that the transmission 'was shot.' Not willing to take their word for it, my husband and I visited an aamco transmission location and was told by the technician that there was a class action law suit against Nissan due to radiator fluid leaking into the transmission. He stated that he had serviced 8 - 9 Pathfinders with the problem. My husband contacted Nissan Corp and the dealership about our discovery. Nissan initially denied any responsibility, but stated that they would investigate. We were contacted by Nissan Corp yesterday informing us that our problem was not due to cross-contamination, but due to an issue with the transmission fluid, in other words, it is our fault. What is most interesting is that this is our regular service site, so any issues with the transmission should have been reported to us by them. That is what we have been paying them for. They have quoted us $4500 to replace the damaged transmission. They also made a point of stressing the fact that they would not have addressed it anyway due to the fact that we have over 100,000 miles on the vehicle. Yes in 2014 we have 118,000 miles, but we were well below that number when this mess surfaced in 2010. What's worse is we never received a notice from nmac.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Pathfinder 6-cyl

On Thursday 1/23/2014 at 9:30 and 9 degree in queens New York I started the engine of my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder and started out for my appointment for the day which I failed to mark because of my car. I did not get to my destination because about two blocks from my house I stopped at the stop sign and as soon as I proceeded to move my engine light came on and my vehicle started losing power, I drove 10mph to the Nissan dealer which is not too far from where I was. The dealer inspected the car and told me that there is a problem with the radiator which cause damage to the transmission. They told me they recognize the problem but it was not yet a recall issue, I guess other people had the same problem with that model. The representative said Nissan will fix the problem but I have the pay $2500 +tax for the deductible, I also had to rent a car for $300 to get to work until my car was repaired. I think I should not have to pay anything because it is the manufactures fault and Nissan is aware of it. I am very disappointed with Nissan, I should not have to pay for something that I did not cause.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 192014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My family and I were on the highway close to home, in traffic when our car made a pop noise and our car completely shut down. Luckily no one hit us or hurt, as like I said we were in a heavy commute. Our car was taken to our local mechanic were we found out the transmission failed due to radiator fluid leaking into the system a $5,500 repair we can not afford. We also found out this is a common problem in certain makes of Nissan, they have numerous complaints which we were never informed about. All Nissan owners should have been notified of the problem and a recall to all models!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving transmission began shifting erratically. After stopping at a traffic light the vehicle would not accelerate above 20 mph. While attempting to get the vehicle home smoke was noticed coming from the transmission. Inspection verified transmission fluid was contaminated with coolant.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the transmission began to jerk with severe hesitation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed that the transmission and radiator would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Highland, CA, USA

Jan 052014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Faulty transmission cooler system - Nissan Pathfinder 2006 has faulty transmission cooling system that connects to radiator. Nissan product/design failed and created cross contamination of antifreeze & transmission fluid. This faulty product design poses serious safety risks to my family and others (just search on the internet & you'll see hundreds of complaints/claims & class action law suit). This issue can cause sudden stops and engine failure. My Pathfinder started running hot and that was first indication there was a problem. Mechanic said transmission fluid had leaked into the radiator and radiator fluid leaked into transmission. We had to replace the radiator, thermostat & flushed transmission 4 times (very expensive repair). This just happened and uncertain if transmission will cause problems and require replacement. We have kept regular maintenance and used extended life/synthetic products to help keep the engine & transmission well lubed. *note: We didn't qualify for Nissan recall & class action law suit due to mileage of vehicle. Based on Nissan's exclusion terms, we won't buy another Nissan product.

- Graham, NC, USA

Jan 042014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission: Having problems with transmission - it will not go on reverse. Researching on the internet I found that this is a manufacturer defect. The radiator would crack causing the coolant to mix with the transmission fluid.

- Pennsauken , NJ, USA

Jul 162013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

As my wife and I with our 5 children were on our way to church, driving at 45mph the car started jerking dropping at 20mph with traffic behind us on a two way highway we had to pull over on a dirt embankment. We took the car to Nissan dealership and the service rep estimated the cost of $9,000. Problem in radiator crack line inside transmission fluid cooler. Antifreeze leak into transmission causing damage.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA