Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 11 of 15)

Feb 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle's transmission started slipping at certain speeds. Got a trans flush hoping it would improve. Problem returned. Service engine light came on. Took to garage and had a new wiring harness put on. Problem returned. Got stranded and had vehicle towed. Determined that coolant was in the transmission fluid. Huge repair bill. Part of the class action suit now but am still out $2500. Probably started occurring before 80,000 miles and had I been more investigative at that time, bill would have been covered because it was under 80,000. Now it's over that amount and I am out of luck. Huge disappointment in Nissan!

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Apr 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission starting slipping then started jerking while driving then it started overheating. Took it to a Nissan dealership because I bought the extended warranty that was supposed to cover the powertrain. They told me that the cooler cracked which caused the radiator fluid to leak into the tranmission and messed up the radiator, which is not covered by the powertrain warranty because the radiator cooler was not part of it. The dealership wants to charge over $6000 to fix it.

- Channelview, TX, USA

Apr 292013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My wife was driving our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder and as she pulled away from a stop sign she felt the transmission slipping. A month earlier we took the vehicle to a shop for a transmission flush and the mechanic told me that it looked like chocolate milk and the engine coolant had mixed with the transmission fluid. He performed the flush and now we were having trouble with the vehicle again. I called the local Nissan dealer and they told me that it was a common problem with this model and could be fixed and all I would have to pay was a deductible which was cheaper than replacing the transmission. I asked how much was the deductible, foolishly thinking that it would be around $500, and they said it would be $3000. I asked why wasn't this treated as a recall and was not given a straight answer. Just the typical bs that Nissan extended the warranty because they "stand behind their product". ultimately I took it to my mechanic who replaced the radiator and flushed it out. It's working now but I'm sure I will have trouble once again. I don't know how I will get rid of this vehicle and I still owe. I will never buy a Nissan and will bad mouth this company to everyone.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission failure while driving in traffic. Caused by ruptured coolant line, coolant mixed with atf. Replaced radiator and flushed transmission, but damage was already done.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Apr 192013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We noticed the Nissan starting to jerk on the frwy and service engine light came on. Took it immediately to the mechanic they gave me bad news appearantly the transmission had radiator fluid in it. He said he had seen this problem before many times his exact word were the way Nissan designed this particular vehicle causes this. My mechanic had to replace radiator flush the whole system put new fluids in total cost $976.oo he advised me to take it to a transmission shop because he said it needed to be looked at by a specialist since he could not guarantee it would not happen again or if even the transmssion would work. Well it worked but the service engine light came on on the way to the transmission shop once they got done with it and replaced everythin that needed to be fixed on the inside of the transmission I paid $3227.49. According to everything I read this can hapen to the Pathfinder without any prior problems. We took pretty good care of ours was a great vehicle till we had to dish out almost 5K after we had just paid it off. I will never buy Nissan again!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

After a 90K mile check-up and full service in spring 2012, I understood that my Pathfinder was running well. Never was there a mention of issues with the radiator / transmission, nor was the connection between these elements replaced to prevent an issue (to my knowledge.) at 101K miles, the heat went out in the rear section of the car (I did not realize this until two months had gone by and I was arguing with my freezing child in the back seat that I had his heat as hot as it would go - he was clearly correct and the rear blowers were blasting him with icy air.) there was a "clunk" upon shifting the car into reverse, and between 40 and 60 mph the transmission lagged and sounded like it was grinding and working hard. At 106K I brought the Pathfinder to the Nissan dealer where I had originally purchased the car. This was the same dealer who had done the 90K service, as well. They determined that the radiator fluid had mixed with the transmission fluid and that my car needed both a new radiator and transmission for $9,000. (my truck is maybe worth $15,000 at this point - really?) after deliberating with the service supervisor, he offered an alternate option of only changing the radiator and flushing the transmission several times to eliminate the contaminated fluid. I gave the ok for this service option at $600. Since the service, my transmission is still lagging between 40 and 60 mph and the "clunk" still happens during a slow reverse. I am now investigating my options for a new transmission as the vehicle is still in beautiful shape, other than its engine issues. It is my belief that this issue is wide-spread enough that the transmissions and radiator should be recalled and replaced by Nissan - or paid for by Nissan since it's their faulty parts that cause the problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving on street around 2 pm, the car just lost its power and I end up stuck in the middle of the street with my 2 kids at the back seats, the car wont moved and I need to call for help so the other driver helped me push the car on the side of the street. Tow truck arrived and towed my car to the nearest shop and found out that it was the transmission mixed with water coming from the radiator. It cost 2800 for everything. The current miles when this incidents happened is 111200.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jun 202012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2007 Nissan Pathfinder...we started experiencing transmission issues(slipping) while on highways at speeds of 65 to 70 causing vehicle to loose gear/power. In most of the incidents our vehicle was loaded with my kids and wife and were forced to immediately pulled off the freeway to avoid being rear-ended(causing accident). We experienced 4 incidents in 2012 when vehicle had over 75000 miles. Latest costly incident took place 3 weeks wife lost power again as driving off freeway, pulled into a shopping center, turned car off....allowed a few minutes and tried starting it again but it was completely dead, no cranking at all. Local shop diagnosed issues with electrical computer unit and alarmed, searched online for possible recalls/defects.sure enough I found many links to complaints and class lawsuit in 2012. I contacted dealer...two dealer diagnostics reflected a bad body control module(computer unit) and bad transmission due to radiator fluid into transmission....I already new this. Reading complaints online it appears that these two issues are associated with the recall/defects but dealer is treating the two separately costing me over $3400. I will challenge them on treating these two as separate issues. Why Nissan has failed to notified customers about these issues/defects" these failures could have caused us an accident! proper notification from Nissan could have save us these $3400+ in repairs. Why is Nissan waiting until vehicles are completely out of service? why do us, consumers have to cover part of their mis-engineering" I highly recommend an investigation against Nissan and make them family cannot afford to pay for their mistakes and negligence!

- Selma, CA, USA

Mar 312013

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a transmission mechanic where a diagnostic was performed. The technician stated that the failure was located at the radiator which had cracked and allowed coolant to enter the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 149,000.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Apr 152013

There is a known defect in the radiator/radiator coolers in the '05, '06 and '07 Nissan Pathfinders which causes the radiator and the transmission to fail. Please help with a recall on this problem, several of the folks still have a payment on the vehicles. You can see all of the problems that folks are having. Thanks, terry please try to do all you can for all of us, I can't see that Nissan can get by with this. They are just to replace the defect parts.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Jan 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator fluid is leaking into the transmission fluid and causing significant "rumbling" noises. The vehicle does not shift correctly.

- Davidsonville, MD, USA

Jan 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

When slowing down or speeding up between about 30-50 mph, the vehicle transmission felt like it was slipping. After much research and several hundred dollars of work come to find out that the radiator is faulty causing cross-contamination between engine coolant and transmission fluid. I am aware there is an ongoing investigation into this matter as well as a class action law suit pending. I have spent significant money to troubleshoot and replace what was needed (radiator and multiple transmission flushes) and feel I should be reimbursed as well as have a more thorough inspection and additional repair/replacement if needed. I am concerned that the engine is now damaged due to transmission fluid being in there and possibly the transmission. Both of which may be future problems that materialize down the road. Something should be done to make this right for the many Nissan customers.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Dec 032012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Basically there is a manufacturer defect with the radiator/cooling system. We bought our Nissan from BMW of reading (pa) in Aug of 2012 and shortly after it started to slip. Long story short the mechanic at aamco said the coolant fluid mixed with the trans fluid which ruined the trans. You know the story as this has happened to everyone I know with a 2005-2010 Pathfinder that has 70-100K miles on it. Please come down on these idiots from Nissan and make them do a recall, this is a safety issue in contrary to Nissan bogus extension of warranty from 60 to 80K miles. This seizes up in a busy high speed intersection and someone dies what then?

- Gilbertsville, PA, USA

Feb 222013

I bought a 2007 Pathfinder from a very reputable used car business, carmax almost 3 years ago. They are very well known in the area for thoroughly checking their vehicles before reselling. It had approx 59K miles on it and I've loved it until recently. I started experiencing heating problems awhile ago but my mechanic couldn't find anything wrong - he even checked the radiator. A few months ago, the transmission would shudder occasionally when I reached about 40 mph. At first it was very minor, I actually thought it was maybe grooves in the road, etc but the issue got worse. I brought it to the dealer and was told I need a new radiator and transmission - this is a widespread problem. I was also told flushing the transmission probably wouldn't help. The radiator is going to cost me $913 and because this is such a widespread problem, a new transmission was the only thing they could find at $7400! I still owe on this vehicle and am wondering how will I ever trade this in or even afford to fix it. Nissan won't help in any way, even by discounting the labor and parts and the class action settlement won't help either because my Pathfinder has 109K miles on it - 9K over the extended warranty Nissan issued. What a disaster. I'm a single mom with a young daughter and a mother I care for. I recently took my family to visit my sister in West Virginia, you know - mountains. Imagine if something would've happened then. I had no idea all of this was going on and am now terrified to drive it. I've never received notification from Nissan that there was a potential issue - I would've brought it to the dealer immediately and been covered for repairs!!! this is a nightmare and Nissan should be held responsible in some way. Why aren't they standing behind their product at all!! do a couple of hundred people have to get hurt before something is done?

- Prince George, VA, USA

Mar 072013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I took my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder to the dealer to have the brakes worked on and while there they performed a multi point vehicle inspection. From this inspection they informed me that there was cross contamination of the coolant and transmission fluid due to a failed transmission cooler. They indicated that damage had already started and it would only be a short time before the transmission failed completely so I needed to replace the radiator and transmission under the extended warranty and there would be a $3,000 deductible cost. In talking with the dealership service personnel and researching online it is clear that this is a common problem and obviously a design failure which could be a safety issue if the transmission fails while driving due to this known problem. My family and I are thankful that just by chance the brakes needed work otherwise my wife and kids could have been driving and been at risk of potential injury if the transmission failed unexpectedly as has been reported by other Nissan Pathfinder vehicle owners. Due to the number of failures that has occurred it is irresponsible for Nissan to just extend the warranty instead of taking a proactive approach and actually notifying their customers of the problem and fixing the known problem under a voluntary recall. I urge the NHTSA to initiate an investigation and hold Nissan responsible for their design failure and protect the public from the potential safety risk by forcing a mandatory recall to fix the problem instead of just waiting for failure which puts the consumer at risk.

- Erie , CO, USA

Mar 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My wife was driving home from picking up our children from school. She was traveling approx 65 mph when the vehicle lost power, became unstable, and would not accelerate. She said that it was like someone put on the emergency brake with five times more. Force than normal almost causing her to loose control of the vehicle. Upon taking the vehicle to a repair shop the problem was found to be that coolant had leaked into the transmission and had destroyed the transmission computer and the transmission.

- Gallion, AL, USA

Feb 132013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator leaked fluid into the transmission cause damage to the transmission rendering it useless. This is a known design defect with the 2007 Nissan.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Dec 112012

I purchased my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder brand new.. I just paid it off last year.. I've been feeling like something was wrong with the shifting for some time.. but no one could find anything... well as I was driving down the road it just did not want to shift.. starting heating when I went over 60 mph. I took it to a specialist and come to find out the radiator is leaking coolant into my transmission.. im at $3500 in just parts right now.. than I go online and see all these other poor families that have had the same thing happen.. all Nissan had to do was let us know there was a problem with the leakage.. this makes me sick.. I worked hard to pay this vehicle off.. now instead of taking my kids on vacation I will be paying for my vehicle to be repaired.. Nissan totally denies any problem, however when you call the dealership they will try and sell you an updated radiator.. why does it need to be updated if they are saying nothing was wrong with the old one?? something needs to be done. We put our trust in a product and it failed us and now they want more money from us.. this is wrong.. I beg for any assistance and that someone step in and make Nissan pay for what they are doing to people.. families work to hard for their products to have to be treated the way Nissan is treating us.. and no one seems to be listening... I want answers.. if I sold a product and there was a defect I would fix the problem, ... not try and cover it up with making my consumer by another part from me...

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Feb 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator leaked into the transmission causing the transmission to fail at a critical operational point. The vehicle failed to accelerate, bucked sharply and nearly caused a collision. The vehicles was diagnosed with a catastrophic transmission failure. This is the second major drivetrain failure within 8 months. Nissan is aware of substandard deign, parts, and craftsmanship in the 2007 Pathfinder that render the vehicle unsafe to operate on public or private roadways. Please take action before there are serious injuries related to these defective drivetrains.

- Modesto , CA, USA

Jan 192013

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, all the lights on the dash board illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the radiator fluid and transmission fluid had mixed and the transmission would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 123,000.

- Dodge City, KS, USA