Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 4 of 15)

May 212015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We purchased our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder on May 21 of this year. Today makes 39 days we've had it. On the 32 day we noticed it was having some roughness in the transmission when changing gears. It felt like we were running over really rough roads or rumble strips. It continued to get worse the longer we drove it. Then around a week ago I put it in reverse and it continued to roll forward. I immediately drove home to inform my husband. When he checked the transmission fluid it appeared to be empty. When he further checked it and cleaned the dip stick it was a tanish colored liquid that was showing up. I went to google and found that many others with this same or similar vehicle was having the same problem, and that the problem was a leak in a radiator hose that runs thru the transmission and leaks fluids back and forth. My husband went to check the radiator and sure enough there is transmission fluid in the radiator and it appeared in the engine as well. So now we have transmission fluid, water, and antifreeze in our transmission, radiator and engine. Nissan needs to step up and take care of this problem. Its clear that this is a flaw in their workmanship. We were told by Nissan to bring our Pathfinder in for an evaluation and be prepared to pay $2,500 dollars. Needless to say we are paying a payment already on a vehicle we have had for one month. We cant afford this kind of repair. So now were stuck with a car we cant even drive.....updated 09/03/15

- Williamson, WV, USA

Jun 222015

Towed my car to the local shop and found out that the radiator has an internal crack and leaked into the transmission. Burned out the tcm and now I am going to have to pay more than $5000 to get it fixed. Called Nissan and was told I needed to replace the radiator and transmission. Not happy about this at all.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 032015

2007 nissian Pathfinder -radiator leaked into transmission, causing failure to transmission. Replaced radiator, all fluids and flushed out secondary radiator and reservour and new thermostat, flushed out transmission fluids. Now needs new transmission, which is the most expensive part of the job!

- Snow Camp, NC, USA

May 142015

Onset of issue was inspection to determine service engine light. Code P0850 - indicated park/neutral safety switch input circuit. Switch replaced and service engine light back on within 48 hours. Returned additional codes related to transmission. Concurrently the vehicle was stumbling at certain speed/RPM with rumbling noise in drivetrain and hesitation during accelleration. Transmission found to have been contaminated by radiator fluid. Complete rebuild of transmission performed and bypassed radiator transmission cooler with auxiliary cooler to prevent having to replace radiator. Transmission rebuild and rental car for a week >$5000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 102015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle started shaking and an abnormal noise was heard under the hood of the vehicle. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that coolant leaked from the radiator into the transmission and the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 93,500.

- Mount Erie, NC, USA

May 052015

Possible transmission failure. Brought vehicle to be inspected and could get a clear answer which one of the observations was perform at a Nissan dealer. The fluids seems to be mixed, transmission with radiator fluid. Seems as this has been and on going problem with Nissan. Dealer tells me the cant find the recall.

- Alvin, TX, USA

May 132015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that when shifting, the vehicle would jerk violently and the check engine light illuminated. Within minutes, the vehicle stalled and could not be restarted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that antifreeze fluid seeped into the transmission. The mechanic stated that the transmission and radiator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 133,000.

- Richmond , VA, USA

Jan 072015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at various speeds, an abnormal roaring sound emitted from the transmission. The transmission pulled when the vehicle was driving at a consistent speed. The dealer diagnosed that the antifreeze was mixing with the transmission. As a result, the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 032015

I bought the vehicle a year ago at 79,000 miles. In January of 2015, I hit the 100,000 mile mark and almost immediately started having transmission problems. Loud and jerky shifting and smelling foul in the air conditioner. Nissan dealership said that there was an issue and since I was out of warranty, (100,000 miles) that they weren't liable. He said I could drive it because it shouldn't break down for another few thousand miles. So I just parked it. I would only drive it if I absolutely had no other choice. Friday, May 15 2015 I was coming home from a doctors appointment and the vehicle completely broke down. The transmission went out and I was in the middle of a busy road with my 4 year old in the car with me. At 40 mph, the RPM was at almost 5,000. I pulled over to call my husband and when we put it in reverse to back out of the parking space, it wouldn't go into reverse. I had to tow it home and it's completely broken down. I don't have 4,000 to spend on a transmission and radiator.

- Walker, LA, USA

Oct 012014

I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder that started making loud rumbling noises while driving. We replaced the radiator after the car over heated and a milky substance leaked. We've had the transmission flushed twice. We were told by a mechanic that the radiator liquid mixed into the transmission. I'm very disappointing to find that there are so many others with the same issue and that Nissan is doing nothing to help.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

May 012015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My 2007 nisson Pathfinder began having problems and when I brought it to the mechanic, he stated the coolant fluid went into the tranmission and caused major problems and now the radiator and transmission need replacement to the tune of $4900 (approximate price given by lee myles). I actually brought the car to a Nissan dealer and their quote was $5800 and then they statated other isses needed to be repaired and they stated the total cost would be $10,000! book value of the car through kelly blue book is $9,600 in excellent condition! I saw this is an ongoing problem with Pathfinders and I wanted to tell my story. I hope there is something that can be done against Nissan!

- Roselle Park, NJ, USA

May 022015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at 10 mph, there was an abnormal noise that came from the transmission as if the vehicle were in neutral. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,500.

- Quincy, MA, USA

May 302014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Defective transmission. Nissan is responsible.

- Norfork, AR, USA

Apr 172015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator failed, mixed coolant into transmission fluid caused transmission to fail.repairs estimated at $5000.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Apr 272015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator leaks fluids into the transmission, intermixing the fluids. This is ruining the radiator and transmission, causing the vehicle to overheat and leak. This makes the vehicle not safe to drive.

- Temple, PA, USA

Oct 012012

Radiator leaked into transmission, causing both to go out. Repeatedly took my car to the dealer to diagnose problem but they had no knowledge of the radiator-transmission issue. Once my car finally died I was forced to repair on my own with no help from Nissan. I was too far over miles to be included in their "customer satisfaction program" which only covered cost over $3,000 and under 100,000 miles. I spent $4,360 out of pocket to replace transmission and bypass radiator.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Dec 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the radiator had a crack and leaked fluid into the transmission. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator was leaking into the transmission and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled. Updated 08/19/15 updated 10/07/15

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 132015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving back home from my daughters doctors appointment. It was during rush hour traffic time. As I was trying to accelerate I felt a jerk on the card and the O/D light start flashing. I was almost home so I kept driving to make it home. Did not want to B stranded in the road with my daughter. As I pushed on the gas it did not want to accelerate an more, all the lights started flashing and we pretty much strolled into the nearest gas station. I put it in park and waited a moment and tried to see if it would cut back on, but it didn't. I had my vehicle towed to the mechanic shop and he said it smelled like radiator fluid. After doing diagnostic he said problem was to due to a crack that leaked radiator fluid into transmission. So now I have to replace my transmission and radiator and computer. Cost would be over $5,000.

- Channelview, TX, USA

Feb 022015

Radiator failure (known Nissan defect) caused coolant to mix with transmission fluid and destroyed the transmission. This was a $4,600 repair. Nissan covered $0.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 122015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Nissan new about this problem for years and done nothing about it. Their defective radiator is leaking into the transmission and causing my transmission to fail, and they have the balls to ask me to pay for it. I have had nothing but Nissan vehicles for the last 20 years and was about to trade in for a new maxima. Oh well maybe it is time to change to a different brand.

- Irmo, SC, USA