Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Sep 072016

The SUV has always gone for service at the dealer and they never told us to watch out for the radiator passing water to transmision, and now that defective part has put water in my transmission it as damaged it.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 012010

Radiator recall for trans lines leaking into radiator contaminating coolant. And now the timing chain tensioner is causing a loud knock in the engine from the timing chain.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 082016

Enjoying our Pathfinder one afternoon and went to pass a car and it would not kick inot passing gear. When we stopped I could smell that it was hot, but could not find a leak. After letting it cool, I checked the coolant level and found that grey froth in the radiator. A quick check on the internet lead me to me worst fear. I am still in the process of flushing radiator and getting quotes. Local aamco guy said that transmission is doomed, and they see a lot of these. $4,000 - 4500 to rebuild. So much money for such an easy repair had I known before the radiator gave up. No more Nissan for this family!

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jul 282016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle started to lose power. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and later towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator cracked and leaked water into the transmission, which caused the computer system, radiator, and transmission to fail. The radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jul 292016

Check engine light came on and truck wouldn't shift into overdrive. Pull code P0717 indicating the transmission sensor or computer was out. Took to shop and they said the transmission cooling line in the radiator cracked, the transmission fluid was then mixed with antifreeze, and it fouled the transmission parts and knock out the computer. Transmission had to be replace and the shop noted that Nissan wouldn't warranty the transmission without replacing the radiator, which they knew had to be done anyway. They said they've seen sooo many of these it's ridiculous. $4,225.43 repair that could have been avoided if we'd just known to replace the $200 radiator.

- Beech Bluff, TN, USA

Jul 282016

As a single father of three teenagers, I needed two vehicles with enough room and safety features to handle high school and college needs. I bought two Pathfinders, a 2007 SE and 2008 le, one for myself and one for my son (which would be passed on, etc). My decision was based on my previous experience with Nissan products and my loyalty to the brand. However, I now have both Pathfinders needing major repairs to their automatic transmissions. The 2008 Pathfinder's transmission failed in very heavy houston traffic while driving with my younger son, which caused other vehicles to slam on their brakes and almost created a large pile-up on a major highway. While we avoided being killed by oncoming vehicles, we were also in danger as we moved the car to the side of the highway. After towing the vehicle to a reputable transmission shop, he found the issue to be a known problem with the coolant fluid leaking into the automatic transmission, causing total failure. Estimates are over $6,000 for rebuilding or replacing the transmission with parts and labor, including the required addition of a "cooler" instead of the radiator. I attempted to file this with my car insurance but was denied coverage. Now, the 2007 Pathfinder is having the same symptoms with slippage and inability to use overdrive, which almost cause another multi-car pile-up in houston traffic until I was able to downshift and move aside. It's only a matter of time before the 2007 Pathfinder transmission also fails completely, and I still owe $12,000 to the credit union on both loans combined. I attempted a loan for repairs through the transmission shop, but was denied due to bad credit from a lay-off last year. Nissan, please issue a recall for those of us without hope and unable to buy a new vehicle. This is your chance to save lives and boost your brand to a higher level, through integrity.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Aug 172016

Vehicle lost power, will not transmit power to the wheels, appears to be a highly complaint among all owners. Transmission has failed in a heavy traffic area. Fuel level sender is no longer working.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Aug 052016

Check engine light appeared and I pull two P0717 codes indicating an issue with transmission control valve with tcm. Took to shop and they found coolant mixed with transmission fluid requiring a transmission replacement.

- Beech Bluff, TN, USA

Aug 052016

On Friday, August the 8th on the way to work on the interstate I accelerated going up a hill and the gear change in the transmission was extremely rough. It was like when a manual transmission is knocked out of gear, of course this vehicle is an automatic transmission. Like a manual transmission being knocked out of gear the vehicle had a very quick deceleration although I as still pressing the gas pedal. This almost caused the car behind me to rear end me. Eventually the vehicle acted like it went back in gear. When I exited off of the interstate, came to a stop at the end of the off ramp, and tried to accelerate the vehicle again acted like the motor was engaging but not the transmission, almost causing another rear end collision. I managed to get the vehicle to the parking lot at work. It set there for the day until I was leaving to go home. The vehicle would not start. The vdc and slip lights would come on when I attempted to start. I left the vehicle at work. I returned on Saturday. I got a auto code from the vehicle of P0717 referring to the turbine speed sensor. I found the 10 amp A/T ECU fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and the vehicle cranked but immediately blew the fuse again and would not start again if turned off. I left the vehicle and did some research finding the issue with the radiator fluid contaminating the transmission and causing the transmission to go out. My company mechanic and I looked at the vehicle on Monday and found the radiator empty of fluid and the transmission fluid contaminated. Someone is going to be severely injured id this issue is not brought to the owners of these vehicles. The vehicle is still sitting where I left it until I decide whether I am going to have to replace what I am sure is a bad transmission due to a faulty manufacturers design.

- Adairsville, GA, USA

Jul 072016

Radiator defect, that Nissan has known since 2012, class action suit, for Pathfinders and xterras leaked fluid into transmission blowing my transmission. Nissan replaced transmission and radiator but charged me $3,000 as co-pay. Nissan has been aware of this issue for a while and yet never subject of recall nor were owners notified of this engineering defect of the radiator. Nissan refused to indemnify me for the co-pay claiming I was lucky I got that from them. When questioned as to why these radiators were never recalled, they refused to respond and stated they were under no obligation to notify owners of this defect. My transmission and radiator went while I was driving the vehicle causing my car to swerve almost resulting in an accident. This is an extremely dangerous defect it is absurd that the owners should have to pay anything because of this radiator that was engineered defective.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Jul 072016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle vibrated severely from the front end of the vehicle multiple times without warning. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission fluid leaked into the radiator. The radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 052016

Anti freeze leak into transmission.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jul 092016

3rd event. Driving at highway speed, engine loses power, will not accelerate over 30 mph. On previous events reverse remained useful and vehicle recovered. Taken to shop, told nothing could be found wrong and event did not recur on their test drive. Continued to drive vehicle many months, no issue. This event, car would not reverse and was driven to the home of my family where I was ending my vacation. Now stranded 4 hours from home. Called out from work tomorrow to research and decide what actions to take.

- Cross City, FL, USA

Jul 082016

Car would not start. Local mechanic could not figure out why. Towed 30 miles to dealership. Was told coolant leaked into transmission and would need to completely replace transmission at a cost of $5,000. Nissan knows this is an issue, however the mileage is too high for them to help me out at all.

- Lincoln, VT, USA

Jun 022016

I was driving when my Nissan Pathfinder 2007 out right when I got in the middle of in intersection my car just didn't want to go I was pressing on the gas and it would go it then it would start going again but wouldn't go faster then 20mph then again it would stop N wouldnt move I took it to a shop to get it checked out they told me my radiator failed and cause liquid to go into my tramission which cause that to I called Nissan about the recall I read about fail radiator and tramission they told me they couldn't help

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jun 172016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted gears and stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator fluid mixed with the transmission fluid and caused the transmission to become inoperable. As a result, the transmission and the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jun 102016

Transmission is bucking and vibrating while in motion. I'm guessing I have month before it breaks down like all of the others.

- Glenwood Springs, CO, USA

May 282016

Coolant has leaked into my transmission. My vehicle currently has 88000 miles and my transmission has started slipping. I took it to my mechanic who checked the transmission fluid and he said "yeah, it's a mixer". referring to the coolant that leaked into the transmission. According to him im not the only person who has brought in their Nissan with this issue.I went to Nissan but they said there is no recall. After checking online it seems there was a class action suit brought against Nissan back in 2012 but it seems like I can't be part of it since the deadline has passed. I hope there is a recall soon so I can get my truck fixed.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Mar 072016

On March 14th 2016. We purchased a Nissan Pathfinder 2007, on the day it was purchased" it shut down in the grocery store parking lot! we had it towed back to the dealer, got it back? and then the car shut down again in the middle of the street! in a high traffic area! my husband cant walk far because of his disability and we had to sit in the car and wait till the tow truck came! March 7,2017 the day after our first payment! the dealership then told us it was a leak in the radiator coolant hose due to some flaw in design! they told us it would cost 1500 minimum to fix! we owned the car less than a month! made one payment! and now we can't drive it or afford to fix it! because our vehicle has 100,000 miles Nissan, instead of just fixing their engine flaw"wants to charge us 3,000 dollars to fix it! we are on a fixed income both my husband and I are disabled, and financed into a truck that could have killed us! this needs to be a straight and fair recall with no cost to the consumer! this car could have shut down anywhere! leaving us stranded! or worse!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 312016

Vehicle started vibrating at 40mph took it to a mechanic they advised that the radiator needed to be replaced and that the radiator and transmission fluids mixed, replaced the radiator flushed the transmission vehicle was at 90,000 miles drove the car another year with slight vibration still at 40mph now it is at 106,000 miles transmission is slipping when it warms up won't come out of 2nd gear looking at having to rebuild the transmission for $4500, the radiator was $400 plus an outside cooler for the transmission an additional $200. Had I been made aware of a potential problem I may have been covered because under 80,000 miles I had an issue with the vehicle not heating up when idol the heat would only work when I drove the car and the service engine light was on but the diagnoses was a fuel cap 3 gas caps later the engine light is still on and I had a heating element replaced but it seems that the heating issue is a sign of the transmission issue. Nissan should have made it's customers aware of the issue I purchased the vehicle in 2010 with 13.000 miles on it they were well aware of the problems. I contacted Nissan and there response was what would you like us to do I don't think the class action suit was fair to the consumer I don't qualify due to the cut off date and now the mileage but I would rather give a transmission shop $3500 rather than give Nissan $3500 I feel that I already paid them enough and for them to know of this issue and not notify the consumer is terrible I have 3 children I drive on the highway in fact I had my 2 year old in the vehicle when the transmission wouldn't come out of 2nd gear it slowed from 60mph to 30mph luckily I was able to pull into the breakdown lane and switch into neutral and back into drive to get it to shift so I could make it to the nearest exit.

- Weymouth, MA, USA