Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 072013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While turning left, the transmission began to shutter and the vehicle lost power for 2-3 seconds. Passenger airbag off indicator intermittently comes on with passenger in seat.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Passenger airbag light illuminates as disabled when an adult passenger occupies the seat. Sensor has been reprogrammed but condition still exists. Dealer claims no codes are stored. Manufacturer has been notified. Recall did not affect my vehicle due to production date. Idle has been re-learned several times. Tachometer will drop below 500 as if vehicle is going to stall. Now I am experiencing loss of traction. Tires spin and squeal while just trying to pull out in to traffic. Had vdc light illuminate and shut off after 5 seconds in completely dry conditions. Had metal scraping sound, left wheel bearing and control arm was replaced. Took in to dealer a couple weeks ago for similar metal sound on left side, they claimed backplate bent in to rotor. Metal on metal sound still occurring. Called Nissan to file yet another claim requesting that they absorb negative equity, since my original claim for them to repurchase vehicle was denied. There is something seriously wrong with this car.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the engine would exhbit an abnormal whistling when initially started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 7,000.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

1. while attempting to leave a school parking lot (going in a straight line with other parents' cars) at 10 mph the engine shuddered and the vehicle jerked back and forth as if it transmission couldn't engage power to the wheels. The shuddering stopped after a couple seconds and I was able to leave the school parking lot safely. (vehicle has shuddered while driving straight three times in the last month.) 2. pulled into a roundabout at 15 mph and the engine shuddered, jerking the Pathfinder back and forth. When exiting the roundabout at nearly 20 mph the vehicle shuddered again for a couple seconds, but this time it was not a violent -- it only vibrated the vehicle. (vehicle has shuddered while turning at least 12 times in the last month.) 3. after turning right onto a straight street and trying to accelerate, the engine felt as if half the power were taken away. The engine revved up, but the acceleration was weak. (this has happened twice in a month.)

- Draper, UT, USA

Jun 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased a new 2013 Pathfinder for myself on 4/18/2013. I started noticing a slight shudder on take off from a stop in May. We mentioned this to the dealership in early June and the immediately acknowledge there was a problem with all the new model Pathfinders. The fix was a torque converter for the cvt but the parts were on back order with no known eta. In late September they called saying they had the part and told me to bring it in for the repair. When I came for my scheduled appointment a couple days later they turned me away stating the torque converter was found not to fix the problem and they needed to completely replace the transmission. Again, the parts were on back order and no known eta. The transmission replacement was finally done 10/24/2013 and we started feeling the shuddering right away. I thought it was the transmission breaking in. The problem is much worse now with the car losing complete power and causing potential accidents. I have a 12 month old riding in this vehicle. We are currently requesting Nissan to repurchase the vehicle because the dealership says there is nothing they can do.

- Lakeland, GA, USA

Apr 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle Jan 2013. Vehicle shudders continuously when traveling at constant speed around 40 mph. Also shudders violently and loses power when turning at low speed, approx. 5 to 10 mph. Source feels to be transmission. Happens every time driven.took back to dealership where purchased May 2013. Technician drove it and said they couldn't feel anything wrong. Took to another dealership in October. They reprogrammed the ABS system because they said there was going to be voluntary recall issued soon. That had no effect on problem, still as evident as ever. Now faced with third trip to shop to try to get something done. Seems to be common complaint based on what I read.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jul 232009

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Everything time I drive on the hwy over 55mph the hood of the engine seems like it wants to come off. It shakes so much that it doesn't seem right. The dealer check and said this is normal for SUV's.

- North Miami Beach , FL, USA

Oct 182013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or mechanic for a diagnostic test. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Orange, CA, USA

Jun 102013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

When I am accelerating or driving at low speeds the car shudders. 'been to Nissan twice now, it still shudders even though they reprogrammed the ECM and replaced the torque converter after removing the engine.

- Logmont, CO, USA

Aug 222013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

As I eased off the accelerator and coasted through a turn, the automobile jerked for approximately 5 to 10 seconds and then returned to normal. This has happened on three occasions. Most recently, on September 2nd, in route home ( exiting a campsite) our automobile jerked as I towed our A-liner camper of approximately 1400 lbs. Again, my speed was under 20 mph. Our automobile was taken in once for this issue; however, service department found no issues with the transmission.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Aug 232013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The car started to vibrate and surge and loud bang noises at the front the car it feels like its loosing power and its hard to pick up, has done this while approaching a red light or slowing down.

- Newark , DE, USA

Jun 102013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle shaking/shuddering while driving. Seemed like the vehicle is loosing power and not responding to controls. Tachometer and speedometer gauge also shake/jitter.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jul 242013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My Nissan Pathfinder SUV loses power from 45hp to 2hp it is at the Nissan company at this time 7/24/2013 with 347 miles.

- Marco Island, FL, USA

Mar 112013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

June 23, 2013 - I purchased my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder in March. It has had the following problem since I got it. When accelerating from stopping, or when increasing speed when turning, the vehicle sputters. It sometimes vibrates and also feels like I'm going over something rough. It feels like the vehicle is going to shut completely off when it does this. This problem has been going on now for 3 1/2 months.. I have contacted Consumer Affairs but as of today, nothing has been done to correct the problem. The problem is consistent every time I drive it and is getting worse.

- Ambrose, GA, USA

Jun 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving at a low rate of speed the vehicle "shudders" and does not have much power. If I speed up its okay, but anytime I'm driving slowly it does the same thing.

- Longont, CO, USA

May 172013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We have experienced intermittent problems with the vehicle shaking or vibrating while accelerating or decelerating, with temporary loss of power at low speed 10-20 mph. This has occurred several times, even after the recall reprogram was done. The most recent occurrence happened twice May 17, 2013, ten days after picking it up from the dealership after they drove it for 300 miles and did not duplicate the issue. We were told that the recall was to address the shaking issues with the vehicle and would be corrected by reprogramming the computer (which was supposed to have already been done) and it did not resolve the problem. Some Nissan employees say there is no issues known with the Pathfinder and some will admit it there is, but say engineering is working on a fix for it, but claim it is not a safety concern. My wife almost ended up in a ditch on one occasion and then missed rear ending a vehicle while the vehicle was shaking and she was slowing down on another occasion. The problem is not easily duplicated, so it tough to show it happening, but does someone actually have to get hurt before it becomes a safety issue and is really looked into?

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Apr 292013

The vehicle begins to vibrate or almost seems like its slipping if that makes sense it happens when I'm first taking off at low speeds.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 272013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle shudders as if driving over rumble bars for approximately 5 seconds when accelerating slowly -- usually around 40 mph.

- Downs, IL, USA

Mar 222013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

It happened 3 times already, car started shaking and it stop all of a sudden, all transmission fluid and coolant drained out. Luckily we did'N get hit from the back because the first time was when we stop on a red light and it didn't move at all we tow it to the nearest Nissan dealer and they said that it was a factory defect but that was fixed. I had a bad feeling and took it to puente hills Nissan where we bought the car. But they told to comeback next day so on my way home on the freeway it started again we just had seconds to pull aside from the road and the car didn't moved at all, fluids drained out again and this time the smoke was even worst I had a panic attack because I thought it was going to catch on fire so I've jumped out of the car "on the freeway" without thinking that I could get killed. The car got towed to puente hills Nissan and "they fixed it". when they were testing it it happened again!! they towed the car back and now after a week they said that they already fixed the problem that it was the radiator that had too much pressure so was heating up and shooting the hoses off so they now replaced the radiator and told me to go and pick up the car. I don't feel safe driving around with my family this situation can cause an accident. Nissan dealer won't replace the car even though there is the lemon law that states that after 3 repairs from the same issue the car has to be replaced and even more because it was a brand new car and we only had it for 6 weeks. And there was also 2 recalls on this particular vehicle one on the electric system and other one on the air bags so now I don't know what else is going to happen with this vehicle.

- Downey, CA, USA

Feb 082013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Detected intermittent heat failure in the rear of the vehicle as well as the area surrounding the occupant's feet. Check engine light came on after 10 days of ownership. Dealership determined code was "transmission fluid pressure switch." The service tech erased the code without performing service. 5 days later driver detected transmission slippage. Drove the vehicle to the dealership. Service tech and driver took a test drive. Service tech confirmed transmission was slipping. While driving back to the dealership, the driver pressed the gas pedal and the car wouldn't move. This created a safety issue for the driver and service tech. It happened twice more and the vehicle almost got stuck under the door trying to return to the dealership. Diagnosis by dealer: Cvt failure.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA