Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 022013

Purchased vehicle with 3000 miles. Noticed that I would merge into traffic and try to accelerate but the car would shake and not accelerate right away (like a loss of power). Then it would stop and accelerate normally. I had an old an old car for a long time so I thought it was just me not being able to handle a new car. However the problem happened frequently, and it is a little alarming if you are merging on the interstate and can't get the expected speed. I have taken it in 2 times and they cannot figure out what is wrong with it. All the computer data comes back okay. I took it in for the brake recall and of course that did not fix it. They are willing to fix but do not know of a fix. Currently the car still does this, mostly during 20 mph and when I am going through a round about or turn.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 112013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased my Pathfinder in July 2013 and have had 2 issues. The first is a sputtering with the gas pedal which occurs quite frequently under low speeds. Took it in for evaluation and Nissan said that's how cvt transmissions work and that it was normal. Very strange. The second issue I am currently having is the most concerning. While traveling at various speeds, when I push on the gas pedal there is no power at all and no acceleration. At times the pedal can be all the way to the floor and then 2 to 3 seconds later the acceleration comes back. It has happen to me in a passing situation on the freeway and while making a turn at an intersection and almost caused an accident. The car is currently in service to be evaluated and they have said unless they can replicate the issue on their end they have no solution, I have 3 kids that ride in the vehicle on a daily basis and this is a huge safety concern from a consumer standpoint. I have documented with Nissan Consumer Affairs in case something happens as a result of this, but I must say as this car was a huge investment for my wife and our family we are extremely concerned and disappointed because we love the car so much and wouldn't expect this from a brand new vehicle. I have read a high number of common issues just like mine and I just don't get how Nissan has not done anything about this. It seems as if the 2013 model has a number of issues.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I had complained to trophy Nissan, progressive insurance, wells fargo, and platinum collision about the very problem that I just received a recall about. My complaints were treated as not having merit. I had specifically described the seemingly loss of control on pavement that was slightly rough. I also asserted that when I applied brakes the Pathfinder seemed to lunge forward. In this accident I was the interstate near downtown dallas moving one lane to my left as traffic slowed and stopped. I was aware of the slowing traffic and I reacted accordingly. As traffic actually stopped I recall not being overly concerned that I was a safe stopping distance but when I applied the brake my Pathfinder seemed to lunge forward and I struck the rear of the vehicle in front of me. I again stated my concerns after the fact and was not deemed accurate. The Pathfinder spent 2 months in the shop waiting on parts and my insurance premium doubled. I refused to pay the elevated premium because I simply did not have it and I did not make any payments on the Pathfinder to wells fargo during the 2 months and the Pathfinder has subsequently been repossessed do I have actionable recourse"? what's next with this complaint?" I tried in vain to get progressive to recognize a diminished value claim. This could have saved me money and my car as the wreck was truly not my fault but it was ruled my fault because I was the rear vehicle and Texas has no diminished value for insured being at fault. Tried in vain to get wells fargo to help me but all parties were scared to death of progressive insurance with the exception of platinum collision. Their only standing in this case is as the body shop approved by progressive.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 152013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle erroneously decelerated while the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that the computer would need to be reset. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 1,000. The current mileage was 11,402. Updated 11/26/13 according to the invoice, the consumer complained of the vehicle vibrating at different speeds. Also, the roof was loose, due to the molding not holding the clip in place. Updated 12/02/13

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 082013

Problem 1: we bought the vehicle new in July. After about two weeks the car begin to shudder between 15-20 mph. It feels like we are driving over rumble strips. We took the car to the Nissan dealer where we purchased it. They said there was a campaign for the problem and would order a torque converter. We were told it was on back order. After two and half weeks the part was installed. The day we picked up the car it still had the same issues.we have notified the dealership of the continuing problem. Problem 2: the front passenger side airbag goes on and off randomly, turning off the airbag. We told the dealership when we brought it in for the shuddering. They said it was a weight limit issue and the way we sit. We told them it does it for our son who weighs 90 pounds and that we sit the same way every time. We also told them it does it for me off and on in the same day and that our weight doesn't fluctuate that much in the same day. We were told it tested fine, so it will not need repair. Just this morning I got in the passenger side the light was off, we went into a store and when I got back in the car the light was on. I have told the dealership about this again today.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jun 192013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The transmission seems to slip or stutter or shake at low speeds. We notice it when making turns into parking lots or starting off at intersections or entering or exiting cloverleaf loop ramps at intersections. It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it stutters and shakes harder than at other times. We first noticed it only a couple of weeks after we bought it.

- Berry, AL, USA

Mar 072013

Purchased this crossover on 12/14/2012. Loss of power has occurred twice while accelerating from between 15-30mph while accelerator was depressed. When I tried to floor the accelerator, the RPM's increased but the cvt did not engage. Had to remove foot from accelerator then reapply for the cvt to re-engage. Called Nissan Consumer Affairs on 5-31-13 who said my VIN is not part of any updates/recalls for this issue. Said to take the car to the dealership for evaluation. Additionally, I have experienced the 'judder/shutter' about 3-4 times as we'll at highway speeds and in the city. I have read on some discussion boards that a 'fix/part' is in the works for late June.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Mar 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission shudders when accelerating from a low speed of approx 25-30 mph. Entire vehicle shakes like you are driving over speed bumps. Occurs everyday.

- Hanahan, SC, USA

Feb 262013

Purchased my new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder in February, 2013. Experienced problems accelerating from a complete stop after the first 100 miles I put on the car. I experienced the problem 4 times in the first 400 miles. Then I experienced a major problem turning left from a complete stop. The car barely coasted through the intersection. I had to pump the gas pedal about 4 times to get the car moving. Luckily I was turning left at a green arrow so the oncoming traffic had a red light and was stopped. I asked the dealer to pick it up as I didn't feel safe driving it. They had it a week and opened a ticket with Nissan. They could not duplicate the issue and hadn't heard of any other similar issues so they asked me to pick up the car. My husband drove it on the highway for work (about 1200 miles) and noticed a little sluggishness from a full stop but not too bad. I drove it for a couple of weeks after that and I noticed some minor sluggishness. When it stalled out as I was turning left through a 4 way stop with no oncoming traffic, I decided to take it back. Had I been turning left at a green light with oncoming traffic, there would have been a high potential for an accident with injuries to my child in the back seat. This time I provided blogs to the dealer describing the same issues.the dealer confirmed today that there is a known problem but no fix so I should pick up the car. If it happens again they told me to press harder on the gas pedal. I told them that was an unacceptable solution. I asked for an upgraded rental since I'm now paying for a Pathfinder but driving a basic rogue that they "rented" to me. I am currently escalating the matter through Nissan. I refuse to take the car back and put my family in danger over an issue they admit to but can't resolve. I have also noticed issues with the airbag light that others have reported. This car needs to be recalled.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Dec 312012

While driving around 35 mph the Pathfinder started sputtering between 3000-4000 rpms and would not increase in speed. I stopped the vehicle and shut off the engine in hopes to reset a problem. When I turned the car back on, the Pathfinder would not move in drive or reverse. As the tow truck driver was loading the Pathfinder he noticed a large amount of liquid coming from underneath the vehicle. Once at the dealership they found that the transmission cooler line had burst and the radiator needed to be replace. Also another owner of a 2013 Pathfinder was also having problems with their transmission and was told that a problem had been identified with the computer that was affecting the transmission. Nissan knew about the problem but didn't catch it prior to the new Pathfinder leaving the factory.

- Windermere, FL, USA