Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Jun 032013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. While operating the vehicle with an average size adult seated in the front passenger seat, the air bag sensor light illuminated and indicated that the passenger side air bag system was deactivated and would not deploy in a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the air bag system was reset; however, the failure recurred. The cause of the failure was not determined. The contact indicated that the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Alston, TX, USA

Feb 012014

Passenger airbag light comes on when passenger in excess of 120lbs is seated in seat. Light randomly comes on and goes off even though passenger is seated properly. Have reported this to Nissan repeatedly and they indicate airbag sensor is functioning properly.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Mar 292013

The light on the passenger side would not go off, and engine would be surging and the car would shake, even if the car was on cruse control mode and specially going up hill. We took it to a dealer twice and they said there was no problem- "could not diagnose the problem. They "updated the software" to no avail. They send us to the company and they did not do anything.

- Panam City , FL, USA

May 182015

Passenger seat airbag warning light is not working again. First time fixed by Nissan based on recall issued. Once again the passenger seat airbag light is indicating the passenger seat is not occupied when it is being occupied. Do not know if airbag is working or not. The vehicle is now out of warranty at 37,530 miles. Nissan headquarters was not helpful; told me to take back to dealer and have it checked out at my expense. Told to call back and advise them of results; they would then take it under advisement!

- Climax, GA, USA

May 042015

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

I have seen the passenger side air bag light come on and off for the past 10,000 miles. In the last few weeks it just blinks all the time. The vehicle went to the dealership today for a total of three more recalls, cvt reprogram, hood latch, and reprogram the OCS ( air bag ). I picked the vehicle up, started the car, and light was still blinking" if the light is still blinking all the time, the pass side air bag is not operable? so the OCS recall is a waste of time, I have read other complaints that there light is still on also! what is really wrong with the car? who is responsible when an accident occurs and the passenger is injured"

- Shelton, CT, USA

Jun 032014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving with the front passenger seat occupied, the front passenger seat air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on multiple occasions but the failure could not be duplicated. The contact mentioned that the air bag sensors were replaced but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,000.... updated 06-02-15

- Lexington, SC, USA

Apr 192015

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

This is a complaint supporting NHTSA action number RQ15001. The passenger air bag light stays illuminated (showing the airbag is off) while an adult over 150 lbs is sitting in the seat. I have had it into the dealership several times for the complaint. I also have 2 videos of the issue while traveling in the vehicle to prove that their is an issue that exists. It has already had the recall done on this vehicle for this issue. There is an issue with the occupant classification system (OCS).

- Chaska, MN, USA

Mar 082013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Intermittently when my wife, who weighs 110 lbs. Sits in the front passenger seat, the passenger air bag warning light will not go off. I have to stop the car, shut it off and restart it one or two times. I have had it back to the Nissan service center, they check everything out and tell me it's working as designed. It has been recalled for sensor replacement. The last time I was there they said they could reset the computer to 0 tolerance. Not sure what that does to the safety of the vehicle. They have told my wife to sit all the way to the left and also in the center of the seat. Which doesn't seem to make any difference. The latest incident was 04/06/15.

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Apr 032015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Upon acceleration from idle or at traffic light, depressing the acceleration pedal produces no movement. You have to press the gas pedal all the way down, upon which no movement forward is created. Also, the passenger front airbag, even with a 160 pound passenger sits in seat, airbag light is still turned off, subsequently turning off airbag.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

May 112014

My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder was involved in a side impact accident on May 11th, 2014. Three occupants of my mv were injured, including myself. There was a recall on the passenger side air bags. With this recall the side passenger airbags would fail to deploy in a side impact accident. After May 11, 2014, I took my 2013 Pathfinder to lia Nissan in enfield, ct, to have my airbags inspected to see if they operated properly in the accident. Without inspecting the vehicle, the female service tech./manager told me that they would surely have operated properly in the accident as designed. The service employee stated I needed to have my vehicle repaired so they could perform the recall on the passenger airbags/air bag sensor. They would not inspect the airbag system. Damage to the 2013 Pathfinder included frame damage, both passenger doors were inoperable and had to be replaced. The front passenger seat frame was replaced as it was bent in the accident. Mv was repainted. After the repairs, I was still having issues with the passenger airbag light staying on indicating the airbags were off. At various normal service (oil changes etc...) I informed Nissan techs about the passenger airbag light. I was given this advice from the service tech. If the light comes on again turn the mv on and off to reset the sensor. March 2015 after reading the article regarding the NHTSA investigation into these same issues. I again took my mv to lia Nissan in enfield, ct. To inquire about the passenger airbag light being still on. They told me the issue was fixed with the recall and even if the passenger (airbag off) light is on, the air bags would still work properly. The technician said the proper "off" indicator was the airbag light in the instrument panel. I was then advised again to turn my mv off then on to reset the sensor. I do not consider this issue to be resolved.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jun 072014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder has been in the Nissan service dept for a total of 38+ days (5 visits to the service dept with varrying lenghts of stay). The vehicle is still currently with the dealership for repairs, that's why I say 38+ days. The passenger airbag light comes on when I sit in the passenger seat. This has been happening for nearly a year. During this year I was pregnant and my weight went up to 192 pounds. I currently weigh around 155 pounds and the passenger airbag light still continues to turn on. A specialist came out from Nissan usa yesterday and told my husband they have exhausted all options in regards to repairing the passenger air bags. We are completely frustrated as Nissan is unable to help us out, but we have serious concerns that our SUV is unsafe. Another note: We have photos and video of the light going on while I'm sitting in the passenger seat.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Mar 022015

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated and the passenger side air bag failed to detect that the seat was occupied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the air bag system was checked and upgraded but the failure persisted. The contact mentioned that the dealer informed that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system). The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Aug 242013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

We noticed early after purchase of our 2013 Nissan Pathfinder that the passenger side air bag disable light would come on whether or not there was someone sitting in that seat. Brought to dealership and not much help. Reprogram and the same issue appeared in just a few days. Months later Nissan issued a recall for programming. This still did not change the problem. Dealership replaced the entire seat at no cost to myself. Light still comes on when someone is sitting in seat at random times or no one is the seat. Someone is going to get hurt without the airbag deploying correctly. And how do we know it is actually going to work?

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Aug 092014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V069000 (air bags) and repaired. A year later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer who reset the code; however, the air bag warning lamp came back on indicating that the air bag was off while a passenger was in the seat. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

This vehicle was part of a safety recall by Nissan for the front passenger airbag or OCS not correctly identifying the occupant. In June 2014 I took my vehicle to stateline Nissan, Kansas City, mo and they completed the recall activity, however, within the next few weeks, I noted that the warning light on the front passenger airbag system was staying activated when an adult was sitting in the seat. I took the vehicle back to stateline Nissan in Oct 2014 and after running the diagnostics, they stated they found nothing wrong. They advised to make sure the front adult passenger was sitting straight and not leaning off center. I have since noted the warning light will periodically stay on when either an adult is in the seat, or even when no one is seated. I again called stateline Nissan on 3/23/15 after reading an article concerning continued issues with the OCS still malfunctioning and the NHTSA receiving complaint. I was told there was nothing they could do as this was no longer an authorized activity from Nissan, but to bring in the vehicle when the warning light came on. Please include this complaint with the others.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Jan 082015

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle was recalled by Nissan for the airbag sensor failing to recognize when there is a passenger occupying the passenger seat, the recall was supposed to fix the error in the sensor. However, after they "fixed the problem, " the sensor continues to indicate there is no passenger in the passenger seat while occupied, and the air bag is not turned on. When I inquired about this the most recent time the vehicle was in for service at the dealership (Nissan of omaha), they told me that the problem had been fixed, and even if it indicates the airbag is turned off, it is actually on. Not only did they fail to fix this safety problem, but they also lied about it working! this is very deceitful, and could be a major liability issue and lawsuit down the road.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 172013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Indicator light for passenger front air bag intermittently would say that it is off when my wife (141 lbs.) sits in the seat. When we went to curry Nissan, 765 memorial drive, chicopee, MA 01020, the dealer we were told there was no assigned weight for the sensor and she should eat more for lunch to gain some weight. We went round and round for the next few months until they said there was a fix which they did but the problem was still there. Then we were told to wait a few weeks and the would have more information on the situation. When I went back they put a weight on the front seat and said the switch was working fine. A few days later when my wife got in the vehicle again the light indicated that the air bag was off. After a little over 2 years of always being afraid that if we ever have a crash where the front air bag should deploy and does not we would not be happy with the end results of having this defect in the vehicle. Today we saw a report on complaints filed by others about this same issue and wanted to put our information into the complaint.

- Belchertown, MA, USA

Feb 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

At times the passenger air bag status light stays on, indicating the air bag is turned off even though an adult is sitting in the seat, this continues after 2 years and many trips to the dealer for zero the system (2 times), replace sensors, torque sensors, replace controller, update software (2X) and a phone complaint to Nissan. This happens when I start car when wife is getting in the car. While it is understandable a false reading will occur since weight is changing as it is sampled, my issue is that the fault does not clear for 25 to 30 minutes before the proper weight is sensed.. when we notice the warning light I stop and turn the car off and then back on "fixing" the issue. But the warning light is hard to see if sun is shining on the dash board and at times we have already entered a freeway with no good place to pull over.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Feb 132015

I am filing a complaint about my Nissan 2013 Pathfinder, the passenger airbag sensor indicates that it is off when my 8 month pregnant wife is sitting in the passenger seat. I have taken this to my local Nissan dealership, beau townsend Nissan in vandalia, Ohio, twice and the service representative said it is nothing to worry about unless the sensor on the instrument panel display shows the airbag is off. I have been concerned about this for my wife's safety being pregnant when she is in the passenger seat. I feel this is something that needs to be addressed and taken care of immediately. The dealership has no interest in figuring out this problem beyond telling me that it is no big deal.

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Mar 142015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My Nissan Pathfinder was fixed under the recall for the air bag. While driving with my 190 lb husband in the passenger seat, the airbag light was illuminated indicating that the airbag was off. This is not the first time this has happened, even after being fixed.

- Sykesville, MD, USA