CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Dec 072013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While turning left, the transmission began to shutter and the vehicle lost power for 2-3 seconds. Passenger airbag off indicator intermittently comes on with passenger in seat.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Passenger airbag light illuminates as disabled when an adult passenger occupies the seat. Sensor has been reprogrammed but condition still exists. Dealer claims no codes are stored. Manufacturer has been notified. Recall did not affect my vehicle due to production date. Idle has been re-learned several times. Tachometer will drop below 500 as if vehicle is going to stall. Now I am experiencing loss of traction. Tires spin and squeal while just trying to pull out in to traffic. Had vdc light illuminate and shut off after 5 seconds in completely dry conditions. Had metal scraping sound, left wheel bearing and control arm was replaced. Took in to dealer a couple weeks ago for similar metal sound on left side, they claimed backplate bent in to rotor. Metal on metal sound still occurring. Called Nissan to file yet another claim requesting that they absorb negative equity, since my original claim for them to repurchase vehicle was denied. There is something seriously wrong with this car.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 222013

Pathfinder

Passenger side airbag light keeps going on when someone is sitting in the sit and not sitting in the seat ( person is at the weight limit and sitting correctly).had the car to the dealer ship three times including once for the recall of this issue. They can not seem to fix the issue and have no clue how to fix with multiple calls to the Nissan tech hotline, they replaced the sensors at least every time. This is starting to be a big safety issue and who knows if the air bag will even work when needed. They could never duplicate the issue when I take it to the dealer, but I go armed with pictures anymore. I have owned many Nissan and this is the first one that has given me an issue. I even turned to Nissan directly and opened complaints with this issue, it seems like they just give me the run around. I am not looking for anything but just a car that works, I bought a new car and want a new car. If I wanted a car with these type of issues I would of bought a used one. Nissan needs to do something with this problem it's a safety issue before someone get hurts or dies. Then who's going to pay for it? I know I'm not the only one with these issues!

- Exeter , PA, USA

May 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle was sold on May 2nd, 2013. Nissan had issued safety recall PC216 for the occupant classification system at least one month prior to this date. This safety recall was not applied to vehicle until after the sale. Dealership is southern states Nissan, their repair order 6359677/1 dated May 2nd, 2013 documents the fact that the recall was performed after the sale.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Feb 052013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the front passenger's side air bag would not activate when the front passenger's seat was occupied. The contact mentioned that the air bag would not recognize the weight of a 75 pound person. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V069000 (air bags). Afterward, the vehicle was taken to a dealer on numerous occasions where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 5,000. Updated 12/20/13

- Channing, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Pathfinder

I just filed a complaint last week regarding my air bag on my 2 month old Pathfinder and this week I had trouble with my transmission. Approximately one month ago when I was accelerating onto the highway my car seemed to get stuck in second gear and would not go above 30 mph. The rpms were going up to 7000 without any additional power. This only lasted for about 10 seconds. The dealer checked out the car and said that nothing was wrong with it and that it may have been a communication problem with the transmission. It happened again this week, again trying to merge onto a highway. The speed limit on the highway was 55 and my Pathfinder would not accelerate past 30-35 miles per hour for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. It is quite disconcerting when a tractor trailer rides up on your bumper going at least 55 miles an hour and you have no power to accelerate to get out of the way. Once again, no warning lights came on the dash so I am sure that when I take it back to the dealer next week they are going to once again tell me that nothing is wrong with the vehicle. Obviously this is a safety concern when the transmission can just stop responding like that. I don't know how Nissan can use the excuse "because it didn't trigger a internal warning with the computer, nothing is wrong." Clearly something is wrong and since Nissan really needs to address this issue.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Feb 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The vehicle has had problems since I got it. Im fed up of going to the Nissan to fix something every few weeks. The headlight bulbs were replaced on 2/4/13 the day after I got the vehicle. The right side stopped working so the socket was changed on 2/7/13. On 5/2/13 a factory recall was completed. On 7/30/13 the wind shield washer pump failed and the part was ordered. Same day 7/30/13 passenger air bag light would not go off while adult is in seat. Nissan performed a zero point reset and light went off. On 8/24 washer pump was replaced. Around 9/30/13 the passenger air bag light would not go off again with adult in seat. On 10/15/13 they replaced OCS sensor for passenger air bag. On 10/20/13 the airbag light stays on while an adult is sitting in the seat. I don't know what to do again. Nissan is asking me if im sitting well on the seat or maybe im not heavy enough. Im 180lbs. Just imagine if my little sister (a minor) is sitting in the seat. This is a danger to my family and I really need some help.

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Oct 162013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My Pathfinder has a build date of Nov. 2012. Two times now the passenger seat sensor has failed to recognize that an adult is occupying the seat. It can be reset by stopping the car, turning it off getting out of the car, and reentering and start back up. It then works as normal. The dealer tells me it is not one of the ones that has this problem and he will only be able to repair when he can witness it. I showed him a picture with the air bag warning light on and the seat occupied at 70 mph. I noticed it after exiting a rest stop on I-10 and drove to the next rest stop before stopping to reset. Changing seating position while driving had no effect at all.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Nov 012012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I recently purchased a new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder sl. The first day that I sat in the front passenger seat (day 2 of ownership), while my husband was driving, the front passenger air bag light illuminated stating that the air bag was off and would not deploy in a crash. I called the dealership and they stated that it was a known calibration problem with the Pathfinder's seat sensors and that there was no recall on my car, but that it needed to be recalibrated, which it was. After having the car back for 1 week, the air bag light would come on intermittently while I was sitting in the front passenger seat even though I was seated "properly" as described in the user's manual. The car went back to the dealer and even though there was no recall on my particular car, they replaced the seat sensors because it was a "safety issue." Two weeks after having the car back the light is once again coming on when I sit normal and upright in the passenger seat. The head technician at the dealership is now telling me that the car is acting in my best interest to intermittently turn off the airbag light when I am seated in the front passenger seat because of my size. I am a 5'4, 120 lb female. I feel that if I am sitting upright in the center of the seat, as a normal size adult, the airbag should not be disengaged. If it is calibrated to disengage for a 120lb adult seated properly, then it should consistently do so, not intermittently turn on and off without a change in position. Nissan has told me that it is functioning properly and there is nothing more that can be done.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Aug 312013

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Sep 262013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, less than 6 months ago. We currently have 7100 miles on it. We have not even had our 2nd oil change and I have already had it in the shop 4 times and I have to take it in today for the same issue, dealing with the transmission. At roughly 1000 miles, we took it back to the dealership in knoxville tn due to a stuttering when coming to a stop, putting the car in park and when taking off from a stop. We was told this was due to the new transmission in the 2013 and the car was trying to get in the best gear for the most efficient gas mileage. Came time for our 1st oil change at 3500 and we told them to check the stutter again and was told that it was due to the transmission, but the computer would correct itself. We took the car back to the dealer at the beginning of Sept and was given a rental for 2 days and was told the problem was due to the torque converter and they would replace the part. They also said the fixed the airbag recall at this appointment. After 2 days the part came in and the vehicle was returned in 4 days after the repair. On 9/26/13 the vehicle was still stuttering when I came to a red light on a hill. The light turned green and I pressed the gas pedal and the car did not move, but the engine RPM moved. Then the car kicked into gear and moved. I came to another hill and the vehicle was barely able to make it up the hill. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in on today, 9/27/13 to have it checked again. I am worried about the safety of my family due to these problems in the transmission.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 202013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Purchased a new 2013 Pathfinder in November of 2012. We experienced the problem reported per the air bag recall. We had the recall performed. Subsequent to the recall repairs, we have on multiple occasions had the airbag off light illuminate with an adult in the passenger seat. The problem is intermittent. We took the vehicle to a dealer. He was unable to duplicate the problem and unwilling to pursue a repair. He called Nissan tech support and printed information to instruct us on how the system operates and on how to sit correctly in the seat. We have driven for many years and are aware of how seats work. We called Nissan to escalate the issue. Clearly, based on our experience and the multiple complaints on the NHTSA site, Nissan has failed to address this safety issue.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Aug 082013

Pathfinder

Problem 1: we bought the vehicle new in July. After about two weeks the car begin to shudder between 15-20 mph. It feels like we are driving over rumble strips. We took the car to the Nissan dealer where we purchased it. They said there was a campaign for the problem and would order a torque converter. We were told it was on back order. After two and half weeks the part was installed. The day we picked up the car it still had the same issues.we have notified the dealership of the continuing problem. Problem 2: the front passenger side airbag goes on and off randomly, turning off the airbag. We told the dealership when we brought it in for the shuddering. They said it was a weight limit issue and the way we sit. We told them it does it for our son who weighs 90 pounds and that we sit the same way every time. We also told them it does it for me off and on in the same day and that our weight doesn't fluctuate that much in the same day. We were told it tested fine, so it will not need repair. Just this morning I got in the passenger side the light was off, we went into a store and when I got back in the car the light was on. I have told the dealership about this again today.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Pathfinder

I got a recall paper for the passenger air bag sensor, when I took it in to get it fixed they tested it and said it was fine. The light still comes on with no one in the seat. Then the fuel gauge where it tells you how many miles till empty showed nothing but 3 lines for 2 days and I was told that this in not an issue for this year and nothing was done. Now the brakes will go to the floor more when being pressed and the vehicle will start rolling so you have to push harder on the brakes. Just yesterday the mileage that is suppose to be moving while driving to show how many mpg you are getting went all the way up and stayed there the whole time I drove. There is no way I was getting like 50 miles per gallon going 45mph. I try to get my vehicle in to the Nissan dealer where I got it from in las cruces, nm and I keep not getting answers or more excused of what is not wrong with my vehicle. How do they know they are not driving it? I am very unhappy and will be changing vehicles soon!

- Las Cruces, Nm, NM, USA

Nov 162012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder brand new on November 13th, 2012. The day after purchasing the vehicle, the passenger airbag light came on, even though the person sitting in the seat (5'9, 175lbs) was sitting in the seat "properly". I brought the car back to the dealer and was told the person wasn't sitting in the seat correctly. As soon as I left the dealership, not even a mile away, the light came back on without anyone even in the seat. I have been back to my dealer at least 8 times, I have had the scale calibrated, a new seat put in, the recall fixed, and it's still coming on. My dealer recommend that if the light comes on while driving I should just pull over on the side of the road, turn the car off, and then restart it. Most recently I had the car in for repair on July 25th, and on August 22nd, the light came back on. I have been without my brand new car for at least 2 weeks in the time that I have owned it for them to "repair it".

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Mar 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2013 Nissan Pathfinder: The pabi light stays on while a passenger is sitting in the front passenger seat. The light stays on as the individual sits' in the correct position as the owner manual's states. The light also stays on while no one is sitting in the front passenger seat. The vehicle was purchased on February 18, 2013 (new). The vehicle has been in 7 times for the same repair. The have replaced the sensors, the seat and the problems still occurs.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Aug 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Purchased a new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder and immediately on the drive home noticed an issue with the passenger side airbag. 1) the passenger side airbag "off" light stays lit when an individual is in the passenger side for the duration of the ride. 2) the supplemental airbag warning light on dashboard stays flashing for the duration of the ride. Took to the dealership in North haven, ct where we purchased. Their diagnosis was that we did not enter the car properly. We needed to both enter the car, fasten our seatbelts, then turn on the car for the passenger side airbag to be functional. Entering the vehicle as advised by the service technician did in fact allow the passenger airbag "off" light to be turned off and the flashing warning on the dashboard to disappear. I view this as a huge safety issue. The purpose of the passenger airbag sensor is for it to be operational when weight is applied to the passenger seat not for it to function only when you fasten your seatbelt before starting the vehicle. I said to the service manager "so you are saying that the passenger airbag will not operate if anyone enters the passenger side while the car is running? what are mothers supposed to do when they pick up their child in an idling vehicle?? his response was ?I guess they will need to pull over to the side of the road, turn the car off, then turn it back on for the airbag to function." The recall on the early 2013 models of the Pathfinder should be expanded. This issue needs to be addressed.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Jul 162013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The passenger airbag light that indicates the airbag is off for the passenger side has come on over 4 times now with both my wife who is 5'6" ~160lb's and my daughter 5'5" 90lb's in it. It came on randomly all times and went off randomly. I took it to the dealership who has stated that it does not fall within the VIN range of the 2013 Pathfinder recall for this same issue. It seems the problem is more widespread then Nissan is willing to indicate.

- Essex, MD, USA

May 312013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the passenger's side air bag would not activate when the front passenger's seat was occupied. When a 100 pound person occupied the seat, the air bag would not recognize the weight however, the air bag would recognize the weight of a 140 pound person. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for service under NHTSA campaign id number:13V069000(air bags), but the repair did not correct the problem. The contact scheduled an appointment for further inspection. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 4,866. Update 4/7/14 va the consumer believes this vehicle is a lemon in accordance to the Massachusetts consumer protection act (Massachusetts general laws; C.90 sec. 7N1/2). Since the purchase of the vehicle, it has been taken to the dealership for failure a total of 7 times. The vehicle has been out of service for repairs for a total of 45 business days. Failures also include rear hatch scraped against the body and spoiler contacts the roof when opening/closing, vehicle shuddered around 16 miles per hour, loss of air from the left front tire, driver's window would not close, vehicle shuddered between 12 and 20 mph, and the climate control on driver's side not working properly. Updated 04/9/2014

- Hingham, MA, USA

Jul 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The airbag sensor indicator has come on with an adult over 150lbs in the passenger seat. This has happened several times and at different speeds. The adult was sitting correctly in the seat. I have taken it to the dealership three times. Told first time that since it can't be duplicated at the dealership, they can't do anything. Next I was given a copy of the owner's manual. Last time, I talked with the dealership manager and he told me that the sensor would be replaced. The day I was to take it in, I received a call that it needed to be inspected by a Nissan certified technician. I let him look at it and was told that nothing showed up wrong and the sensor would not be replaced and given another copy of the owner's manual. This is a safety issue. The airbag should never turn off with a average sized adult in the seat.

- Thorsby, AL, USA