CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Jan 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag light does not go off (indicating air bag is not operational) when wife sits in the passenger seat. Her weight and height is ~115lbs and 5'5". taken to dealer 3 times and not able to fix. The dealer checked VIN and this vehicle was not part of the Nissan recall. However, the vehicle was purchased 1/9/2013 and clearly falls within the manufacturing date of the recall. I or the dealer were not informed. First, Nissan should expand the recall to encompass all affected vehicles and second Nissan needs to figure out what is causing the problem after 3 attempts for the dealer to repair. 1st attempt: Zero out sensor and reprogram. 2nd replace sensors. 3rd investigate problem with Nissan tech services and they could not help. This is a safety issue and I don't have a lot of confidence that the air bag would work when the light is out.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Feb 132013

Pathfinder

I was driving and hit a curb with the 2 passenger side wheels simultaneously as I was coming out of a turn. Only going 15-20 mph. The tires didn't even pop but all 3 side curtain airbags deployed. The vehicle didn't roll either. The car was completely driveable other than the airbag problem. Nissan claims the airbags acted properly after they reviewed the data recorder but to me this is a serious safety concern. Nissan reimbursed me for my $1,000 insurance deductible which tells me they agree something was wrong even though they deny it.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 062013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I have become aware of two different issues with my 2013 Pathfinder. First, and most important, is an issue with the passenger airbag. The light that illuminates to inform you if the passenger airbag is on or off will come on or off intermittently with the same person/object in the passenger seat. This has occurred on 4 separate occasions. It happened twice with myself riding in the passenger seat, once with my son, and once with a backpack. The passenger airbag light would be off, indicating the airbag was on, and then after several miles the light would come on. Or the light would be on and after several miles it would go off. This is a safety issue and could cause death if in an accident! I took the vehicle to my local dealership where it was put on the computer, which showed everything was fine. They also drove the vehicle 20 miles to see if they could get it to happen and it did not. Mine was not one of the models on the recall list for this very same issue. They told me to bring it back if it happens again, but I am afraid to drive it. We are a family of seven, so someone has to sit in the passenger seat. The second issue is a shuddering that occurs when decelerating or accelerating at lower speeds. It has happened several times causing me to take my eyes off the road and look at the instrument panel to see if something is wrong. The vehicle is sluggish when this happens. I am worried that it will happen turning into traffic and cause an accident.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Jun 212013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The occupant classification system deactivated the passenger air bag, and activated the warning light, with a 200+ pound person sitting in the passenger seat, centered in the seat and upright, and seatbelt on, for over one hour. Took video showing person in seat @ 55 mph with light on. Dealer and Nissan customer service stated they can not reproduce the problem, therefore, there is nothing to fix, even after showing the dealer the video of the defective passenger airbag warning light. Requested corporate technician to examine car, dealer has not provided this service to date (3 weeks later). Due to the random fault, we can not trust the airbag system to work as designed, and as required by the NHTSA rule fmvss208.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Jun 212013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Brakes failed causing accident. Recall received 2 hours later. Nissan says parts were replaced but did not cause the accident. Why should I believe them? the consumer stated he was attempting to park in the driveway when the brakes failed. He tried to stand on the brakes as well as stomped the pedal with one foot, but to no avail. The vehicle continued up the driveway hitting his garage door and the side of his house. The garage door crumbled and his other vehicle, pushing it into the inner portion of the garage hitting it several times. Also prior to the accident, the passenger air bag light illuminated throughout the entire drive. The consumer stated a recall was issued for the air bag, but he was never notified. Also, the air bags failed to deploy when he hit the garage door. Updated 09/11/13

- Savannah, GA, USA

Mar 182011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

When my wife who is 5"4' and weighs 110 lbs is in the front passenger seat, the passenger air bag warning light comes on indicating that the air bag is off and will not deploy in an accident. This occurs intermittently. I have taken the car to the dealer three times and they tell me everything is in spec.Nissan also told me that it is in spec and they cannot fix the problem. They tell me that the sensors in the seat are to the extreme left and my wife will have to sit to the left and erect.

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I brought the car on 6/14/13 to get the faulty air bag sensor done at the Nissan dealership only to waste our time since they told me that "there was no recall on my VIN and that everything was working fine." I explained again that the air bag off light would stay on when kids or my wife would seat on it. They said "it is a known glitch" but that everything works fine and "I should not worry about it." I contacted Nissan immediately. I spoke to Nissan costumer affairs "wesley" who said that would look into this to get the issue resolved. He also stated that he would contact the white plains dealer. Sounded great. He call me on 6/17/13 to tell me that indeed the dealer "did everything, they were supposed to do" and since there was no recall on my VIN - than everything was ok. This is hysterical. I had actually received an email directly from Nissan usa on 6/15/13 stating that "a review of our records indicates that the vehicle with the vehicle serial number listed above is involved in the recall as follows: Occupant classification system (OCS) sensor. Please contact your Nissan dealership for an appointment to have the recall repairs performed on your vehicle. These repairs are free of charge to you." He first sounded confused but then he proceeded to explain (as the dealership) that "if someone between 90 and 120 pounds sit on the passenger side - the light weight might not trigger the sensor." I asked him where I would be able to find this technical information in the owner's manual. He said that it would not be there. And what about the recall letter? I asked him if he could provided an official letter stating that indeed the air bag sensor light off is not an issue and/or a safety concern. Naturally, he replied that he could not provide such a letter. End of story, my lawyer-wife will now send a formal legal letter to file a complain with Nissan.

- New York, NY, USA

Mar 222013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the air bag erroneously deactivated while the front passenger seat was occupied. The contact also stated that when driving at various speeds, the vehicle would vibrate roughly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 700.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 262013

Pathfinder

Purchased my new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder in February, 2013. Experienced problems accelerating from a complete stop after the first 100 miles I put on the car. I experienced the problem 4 times in the first 400 miles. Then I experienced a major problem turning left from a complete stop. The car barely coasted through the intersection. I had to pump the gas pedal about 4 times to get the car moving. Luckily I was turning left at a green arrow so the oncoming traffic had a red light and was stopped. I asked the dealer to pick it up as I didn't feel safe driving it. They had it a week and opened a ticket with Nissan. They could not duplicate the issue and hadn't heard of any other similar issues so they asked me to pick up the car. My husband drove it on the highway for work (about 1200 miles) and noticed a little sluggishness from a full stop but not too bad. I drove it for a couple of weeks after that and I noticed some minor sluggishness. When it stalled out as I was turning left through a 4 way stop with no oncoming traffic, I decided to take it back. Had I been turning left at a green light with oncoming traffic, there would have been a high potential for an accident with injuries to my child in the back seat. This time I provided blogs to the dealer describing the same issues.the dealer confirmed today that there is a known problem but no fix so I should pick up the car. If it happens again they told me to press harder on the gas pedal. I told them that was an unacceptable solution. I asked for an upgraded rental since I'm now paying for a Pathfinder but driving a basic rogue that they "rented" to me. I am currently escalating the matter through Nissan. I refuse to take the car back and put my family in danger over an issue they admit to but can't resolve. I have also noticed issues with the airbag light that others have reported. This car needs to be recalled.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Feb 262013

Pathfinder

Front passenger airbag would go off while I was sitting in the seat. Sometimes resets and goes off after turn Pathfinder off but eventually always comes back on. Took back to dealership they did a "zero reset" and told me to contact them if light comes on again. They also had to fix a couple of minor cosmetic issues so I ended up with a rental car for a few days...a 2012 Nissan Altima. When husband sat in front passenger seat that airbag light also came on.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA

Dec 202012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The sensor for the front passenger airbag does not work. The airbags are automatically turned off even when there is a full grown adult in the front seat. Also, during routine operation of the vehicle when no one is sitting in the front passenger seat, the airbag indicator may switch to "on." In the event of an accident, an adult front seat passenger will not have the protection of the front airbag due to a faulty sensor. The local dealership is claiming that there is no recall on the airbag sensor--even though there are news articles to the contrary. Nissan customer service says there is no recall under my VIN--even though other 2013 Pathfinders are the subject of a recall. (in fact, I accessed this site from a news article discussing the problem and the recall.) and, both the dealership and Nissan are claiming that the defect may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. At present, the car has less than two thousand five hundred (2500) miles.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 152013

Pathfinder

Passenger weighing >120 lbs sitting on the front passenger seat when the passenger side airbag light "off" was lit indicating that the airbag was turned off. The light turned off after about 5 min of driving but came on again a few minutes later.

- Newark, DE, USA

Dec 152012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Almost immediately after taking delivery on my new 2013 Pathfinder I noticed the SRS system warning light would remain on, unless both front and passenger seat belts were engaged. Additionally, the passenger airbag warning indicator behaves erratically, often failing to shut-off within 7 seconds of vehicle start, and remaining on, even with an adult in the passenger seat. I have thus-far made 3 trips to my servicing dealer, who has been unable to resolve the airbag system issue. On my second service visit, the dealer service advisor mentioned that Nissan tech support had advised him that the ods sensor in the passenger seat may not have been calibrated correctly, at the factory.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Jan 192013

Pathfinder

Air bag sensor light comes on and stays on.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Mar 082013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving home from the dealership the night I purchased the vehicle, and I notice the supplemental airbag icon flashing. (I don't recall seeing it during the test drive.) I did not immediately recognize the icon, so when I got home, I looked it up in the manual, and it tells me that I must get it serviced at the Nissan dealership. Really" not even 15 minutes after driving it off the lot, and I have to bring it back to be serviced??" Nissan better get their act together.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased my brand new 2103 Nissan Pathfinder December of 2012. I noticed within the first couple weeks that the seat belt warning light on the dash would not go out if I was the only person in the vehicle and I was bucked up. So I took it in to service in early January to deal with a defect in the leather and they said that nothing was wrong with the light and that was how it was supposed to work. So everything was fine for another month when the car started blowing smoke. So I took it in for service again and this time a different dealer recognized that that wasn't how the car should be working so he said they would take care of the seat belt warning light. So a couple days later after parts were sent overnight they called and said that my vehicle was ready for pickup. I picked the Pathfinder up and sure enough the seat belt light went off when I got in but now I had an airbag failure light on the dash. Since it was the end of the day they asked me to bring it back in the next day. So after another visit to Nissan they had to call the tech line because they couldn't figure out how to fix the passenger airbag. Long story short they sent me away with my broken Pathfinder because apparently other people have had this issue and the tech line at Nissan hasn't figured out a remedy for the problem. This was unacceptable so I took my vehicle and I called Consumer Affairs to let them know what happened. The agreed that this was a major safety issue but now months later and I can't even get a call back from their Consumer Affairs. This vehicle is not safe and until Nissan can work out all of the "buggs" everyone should stay away from this vehicle.

- Milford, NN, USA

Jan 232013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I have been having ongoing issues with my Pathfinder since purchase with the passenger airbag not functioning properly. Initially it would not detect anybody was in the passenger seat and the dealer try to reset the sensor several times with no success. Now all airbag warning lights are on and per the owners manual the vehicle should not be driven. I was told in Jan parts were ordered to fix this issue and they are still not in. Needless to say I am very very upset and will be looking into legal actions.

Feb 202013