CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 has a small, but significant number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the Pathfinder's transmission shakes violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2014 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder:

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 152015

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. While exiting the vehicle, the doors automatically locked while the key fob was still in the vehicle. In addition, the contact was unable to re-enter the vehicle to get to her child, who was trapped in the vehicle due to the failure. The contact also stated the vehicle was difficult to shift from drive into reverse or reverse into drive. Additionally the liftgate failed to remain open and closed independently numerous times. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Jan 072014

Pathfinder

The hood starts to flex or shake at speeds of 70mph and above. Transmission has a severe shudder when accelerating slightly between 20 to 30mph.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jun 042015

Pathfinder

Purchased pre owned 2014 Nissan Pathfinder sl 4X4 wit 30,000 miles from serra visser cullman, al Nissan dealer in May 2015. Shortly after purchase noticed passenger air bag light would malfunction (meaning showing that it was off) when someone was sitting in passenger seat. Even when no one was sitting in seat it would show air ag was active when it should be turned off. Took to same service dept. I bought vehicle from. They ran diagnostics and said vehicle was functioning as it should and to basically ignore light. I was told "trust me your air bag will activate". now vehicle has 37,100 miles and starting to notice the cvt transmission will shudder/judder at certain speeds. Take for instance yesterday between 20-25 mph the vehicle just started to jerk significantly. Took to serra visser Nissan in cullman and they said that there was a technical service bulletin out on the problem and that it needs reprogrammed. The cost was 105 at my expense. I declined because this should fall under the power train warranty and proceeded to call Nissan Consumer Affairs hotline to open case about issues. I have researched online and have read hundreds of complaints about the same exact problems. It seems that none of the reprogramming, replacing transmissions, torque converters even solves the problem. Ive even read where it is a design flaw in transmission. I'm hoping they put a recall out for these issues or by back vehicles. I dont feel safe in it and certainly dont believe owners should pay to have any of these issues resolved.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Feb 012014

Pathfinder

2014 Nissan Pathfinder purchased 12/31/2013. Transmission acted odd within first month of ownership, but was told it takes some time to get use to the cvt. Accepted the judder for about a year, as it was only occurring during slow speeds in parking lots. Had a couple close calls in the spring of 2015, where the transmission shook violently and the car was stalling in intersections. Dealer said they needed to flash the computer to fix the problem. Wife drove the car 9/15 (12,000 miles on odometer), car continued to judder, so we took it back to the dealership. Dealership unable to replicate. Service manager said that they know there is an issue, but until the computer throws a fault code, they are not authorized to perform work. I called Nissan na, they didn't really care, said that the regional rep would call at some point. 9/17, service rep called and said they still cannot find a code, asked that I pick it up and continually drive it in the condition that creates the judder and force the car to throw a code so they can work on a fix. Purchase new, two times in the shop, two more and I will pursue state lemon law. Outstanding dealership and service manager support, but their hands are tied on this one. Bottom line is that the Nissan corporation knows there is a problem, but refuses to fix. The safety of my family and other occupants in the vehicle is not important. Severe injury or death, as the result of loss of power is not enough to fix. Evidently the $4000 for a new transmission and torque converter is more valuable than my families life. Who says you cannot put a price on human life, Nissan does.

- Eagle, ID, USA

Oct 312014

Pathfinder

I have been experiencing a shuddering and hesitation with my transmissions for months now. I usually feel this when accelerating from low speeds. It is a shaking/vibrating felling and it feels like the car does not want to shift gears. I have complained about this to East charlotte Nissan since October, where at first I was told it was a recall. Well, another individual, said it was not showing up as a recall at that time. I took it back in December, but the car still did not have a recall. As the problem persisted, I took it back to the same dealership where I was told that the transmission was given an update and that if it continued to bring it back because Nissan requires them to go through a series of steps before replacing the transmission. Well this past week (June 15-21), it has gotten much worse. In addition to the shuddering, hesitation, and vibration while accelerating, the vehicle has begun almost acting like it was to stall while decelerating. This is becoming extremely dangerous and it needs to be corrected. I have another aappointment scheduled for Tuesday. Hopefully this time I will get some results.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 112015

Pathfinder

Multiple times when making a right or left turn in AWD when moderate to forceful acceleration is required to make the turn or be hit by oncoming vehicles. From a dead stop, a turn is executed and the accelerator is depressed between half-throttle and full-throttle. The vehicle responds normally at first but about 1-2 seconds into the turn the powertrain cuts out and will not accelerate to more than a crawl. This can last up to 6 seconds and puts the vehicle in jeopardy. I have experienced this on multiple occasions and have narrowly escaped collisions several times. When this happens, I have tried different things in order to get the car to respond. None of the following has worked: Releasing the accelerator and reapplying (pumping). Giving and holding full throttle. My uneducated opinion is that this is a software glitch for the cvt. I think that the transmission assumes that there is wheel spin upon acceleration (although there is none) and the anti-skid software reduces engine power to prevent wheel spin. This has put me in life threatening situations. I reported it to Nissan at the first complimentary oil change and was told that it was nothing to worry about. When I pull out in front of a speeding 18-wheeler, I worry. I feel that I cannot depend on reliable acceleration in normal traffic conditions. The condition is difficult to repeat on-command.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Apr 302015

Pathfinder 4WD

I have experienced a shuddering on a brand new 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, which started with less than 100 miles on it. At 3200 miles it happened 5 or 6 times. Today I learned it needs a new transmission, but when I ask if the new transmission has been upgraded or if they have found a fix I am told "it is a new transmission coming from Nissan" "we are not told of the upgrades, they just send us the new transmission". as far as I can tell, there has not been a resolution to the well known problem with Nissan cvt transmission. I am concerned I am getting a new transmission with an old problem and no one can/will tell me otherwise. Is my car going to be safe" where can I find out if this new transmission does not have the same problem my 2014 transmission had"

- Hood River, OR, USA

Apr 272015

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at low speeds, the vehicle vibrated and hesitated when attempting to accelerate from a stop position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Melbourne , KY, USA

Jul 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Bought 2014 Pathfinder in 12/2013. Noticed transmission vibration and shudder during long trip and upon return complained to dealer. I had not heard of this problem in other Nissan vehicles so was unaware. Took vehicle to dealer who did test drive, but said could not duplicate, but said problem was with continuously variable transmission (cvt) torque converter. Offered no remedy. I do not feel secure in traffic as do not know if transmission is damaged by shuddering. Nissan did a cvt reprogram to improve transmission diagnostic and service, but I do not know what this does to improve performance of transmission. Nissan will tell me nothing. I am requesting a cvt recall by NHTSA to facilitate necessary repairs as it I regard the unit a safety hazard.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Apr 042015

Pathfinder

We are grandparents to 16 grandchildren. We bought our 2014 Pathfinder February 21, 2015 so we would be able to take some of grandchildren on trips with us. On April 4th, 2015 while driving on the freeway with 5 of our grandchildren the engine stopped with no warning. We almost got hit 6 different times while trying to figure out what happened and what to do. The fear that we felt for the safety of our grandchildren is describable. Something no one should have to experience especially driving a brand new vehicle. The engine ended up shutting off 2 more times that same day. We took the Pathfinder into the dealership only to be told that they did not find anything wrong.... April 11th, 2015 while driving our grandchildren out of town to a baseball game the engine shut off again...at this point we do not feel safe driving this vehicle, which is sad because it is brand new and we paid good money for it. It is back in the shop as of today, April 16th, with no answers.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Pathfinder 4WD

Transmission intermittently shudders at 10-20 mph causing poor drivability and potential loss of control. Transmission has been reprogrammed several times and replaced with a rebuilt transmission at 19,413 miles. Shuddering has started again, the dealer applied the latest recall (PC357) but no real change in operation. I started a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs (18336725) but the contact has been extremely difficult to actually talk with. Nissan left one voice mail while I have left 6 voice mails over 2 days with no call backs.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jul 172014

Pathfinder 4WD

I have had the car back to the dealer on 4 different times, they claim to have fixed the airbag, but after the fix my light continues to be on intermittently even when an adult is in the passenger seat. I was told by the dealership that Nissan said the airbag would deploy even though the light wasn't working. I feel that Nissan is not honoring their warranty, I bought a new car and the light isn't working and I can't be sure the airbag is working either. I have also had problems with the electronic key, I was given a new battery in my fob but I still continue to get a no key detected at different times even when the car was running the dash will all of a sudden say no key detected. My last problem is with the car rolling back on a hill, I purchased an automatic, when stopped on a hill I have to gun the accelerator to stop the car from rolling back on the car behind me. The dealership informed me to treat the car like a manual and put my foot on the brake and the accelerator. The dealership told me there is nothing they can do that Nissan will not repair anymore transmissions. This is totally unacceptable for a new car, if there is a problem with the transmission they should fix it. Again I have had my SUV into the dealership multiple times for this problem.

- Damascus, MD, USA

Nov 032014

Pathfinder

This has happened several times since I bought my brand new 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. It will shudder and you lose control of the vehicle. To begin with it started at low speeds but now it doesn't matter how fast nor how slow you are going and it has almost got me in wrecks several times in the past month.

- Newville, AL, USA

Jan 302015

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle began violently jerking and shaking without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Forest, MS, USA

Mar 192014

Pathfinder

Vehicle began to shudder and nearly stall at low speeds. Vehicle would lose all power, and then suddenly surge. Vehicle returned to abeloff Nissan (broadheadsville, pa), and the mechanic was able to verify the issue. Nissan identified the issue as the cvt transmission and replaced the transmission. On 02/05/2015 this same loss of power was experienced while driving at low speed. My wife was entering roadway and vehicle lost power, nearly causing an accident. The vehicle was taken to the ken pollock Nissan dealership in wilkes- barre, pa, and they were eventually able to duplicate the loss of power. Nissan-usa advised the dealership to replace a brake light switch as the brake lights would not go off when parked. I picked up the vehicle from the dealership on 02/16/2015, and the next day the same loss of power occurred three times on a five mile trip. Nissan -usa was contacted and a complaint filed. Nissan has not been able to correct the problem, and have refused to buy back the vehicle. Nissan continues to sell this model year, and I believe this is a major safety issue, and needs to be addressed.

- Plains, PA, USA

Mar 062015

Pathfinder 4WD

After 2 days of purchasing this vehicle I traveled out of state and the car started jerking after making a stop and resuming speed. I had to drop off at a nearby dealer and had to rent a vehicle to get back home. They have not fixed the problem yet but I think it will end up being transmission failure. I am very disappointed with Nissan. It is the second car that we get and have the same problem.

- Lanham, MD, USA

Jan 182014

Pathfinder

Car jerks and struggles to increase speeds during this time. When in traffic traveling at a reduced speed car will jerk like the transmission is slipping and fail to increase speed.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Jan 072015

Pathfinder

Hesitation and stalling has happened several times. On one occasion I had 4 co-workers in the car at the time (they are all witnesses) and I pulled out to make a left hand turn in front of on coming cars and the car hesitated causing an almost catastrophic event. The dealer says that they can not just replace the transmission until it has been documented happening several times and even then they will not guarantee that it will fix the problem. I asked if they would trade out my car with the 2015 model because as stated by them the 2015 model does not have these issues and they said they would however, my payments would go up to an amount that I can not afford to make. They were unwilling to make my payments the same as they are now. The head of the customer service department actually stated that no matter what they do it will not fix the problem because it is the way the vehicle was manufactured by Nissan. To date there is no actual "recall" on this problem.

- Monroe, GA, USA

Dec 222014

Pathfinder

Acceleration / transmission problems with 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. Issues began at 3100 miles. No acceleration from stop, or very minimal. Felt as if the transmission was "slipping" and would not engage, or similar to drive a manual transmission at mph in 4th gear. Issue recurred several times on my commute home. Was stranded on the side of the road and required towing because I could not make the vehicle move forward at all. Abnormal burning smell coming from front of car was observed. I was stranded in winter with a 3 month old in the car. At one point I was basically stuck in the middle of an intersection due to the lack of acceleration. I was nearly rear-ended in one case and was in serious danger of being sideswiped by oncoming traffic. Depending on the situation, this issue could present a major safety hazard (and did for me). For the first time in my life, I was worried for my personal safety while driving a car. Also observed erratic engine RPM's at idle (from 1000 to 1500) and while coasting. RPM would jump up and down with constant (or no) throttle applied. Dealer has had the car for over 3 weeks at this point. Initially they were not able to replicate the issue, and no error codes were shown on the computer. Eventually they did replicate the issue and are now replacing the transmission control module after consulting with Nissan. I have the impression that neither Nissan or the dealer has any clue how to fix the issue. They are just trying different things to see what makes it work again. Based on the lengthy list of similar complaints, Nissan is apparently not too concerned...

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Jan 042015

Pathfinder 4WD

I was involved in a roll over accident and neither the driver or passenger airbags deployed. The side airbags did. The vehicle went head first into the ditch and then flipped over. The vehicle was recalled for the passenger airbag after I first bought it and supposedly "fixed." Obviously not. The driver side airbag did not deploy either. My Pathfinder is a total loss. This is definitely an issue. This vehicle has also had multiple other issues including the engine coils, transmission computer and finally the whole transmission has been replaced. Terrible in the snow and vibrates like crazy! this vehicle is obviously unsafe and garbage!

- Rotterdam Junction, NY, USA