2001 Nissan Quest accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Quest:

2001 Nissan Quest Owner Comments

May 072001

Quest

Our Quest comes equipped with built-in, fold down child seats in the second row. However, the safety belts for these seats (similar in configuration to a regular carseat, thus securing the shoulders, chest and abdomen) retract so severely that every child I've sat in the seats complains that it's "too tight." And it is. When I go to pull the straps loose I have to try several times to disengage the locking devise it seems to have. This is scary for the child, who is truly being squeezed and would be terrifying in an accident if removing the child from the sit was an urgent matter. When the straps lock my son has almost twisted his arms backwards while I'm trying to release him. The seats are very helpful to have, in theory. But because the straps lock so tightly I hesitate to use them. Relatedly, adults sitting in that row have also complained that the adult belt locks into a very tight position, requiring them to pull on the strap several times until it finally loosens a bit, for a while. My dealer says Nissan service can only "clean" the seat belts, not loosen or replace them. I do plan to take the car in to show them the problem, but they didn't sound like they'd be able to fix the problem. Complains.

- Westfield, NJ, USA