2004 Nissan Quest electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Quest:

2004 Nissan Quest Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 152004

Quest 6-cyl

The consumer noticed when the doors were shut, the lights illuminated as if the door were open. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and they reported it was fixed. The problem returned when consumer drove the vehicle home that day. There was a problem with the hatchback door lock. When closing the door, the consumer had to bang it hard to get it closed. The sliding door was having problems as well, it must be slammed in order to close it. The dealership has attempted to fix the problems with the doors. The tire problems began about 2 weeks after the purchase of the vehicle. Tire lights are coming on, indicating that the tires are loosing air. Owner advises that one time the tire light would come on about every block. The vehicle was taken to the dealership after this. The tire had a nail in it. There is also problems with the transmission. When shifting from park to drive, it is very difficult to shift. Owner received a recall letter about this last year and in January of 2005. The recall number is not available. The dealership states that this recall is closed. The dealership won't look any further into the transmission. There is a problem with the front passenger seat, you could see the metal in the seat. The radio has been replaced three times. It is now needing to be replaced again. The car has a bad smell, like rotten eggs. The smell is coming from engine. Dealership reports it is coming from a computer chip and it still smelled after replacement. The same smell returned and then the owner returned the car to the dealership, they kept it for two months. The dealership replaced the catalytic converter. The owner advises that there is still a bad smell. The dealership reported the smell must be sulfuric acid. The owner went to the doctor in regards to the bad chemical smell that burns. The vehicle had problems with the battery. Owner paid for car rental. The drivers seat moved when the consumer applied the brakes.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 212004

Quest 6-cyl

Re: my 2004 Nissan Quest-have had same problem recur for almost 1 yr & dealer has not fixed it in 5 tries. On 7/21/04, brought my van in for service 'cause an alarm beeper would go off randomly when driving-comes from rear power liftgate. Besides the constant beeping, at times the liftgate will not open, also when open the liftgate will not close using the power buttons-then liftgate needs to be shut manually. At my 7/21/04 service appt, the dealer ordered a part that would be installed later to fix beeping. Picked the van up about 4:30 pm, got groceries, picked up daughter & drove home. On the way the van was beeping all the way when suddenly a flashing warning light came on that said "warning lift gate open". I panicked thinking my lift gate was about to fly open. I pulled over confused because liftgate was not open. I pushed interior control for lift gate but liftgate did not open. Thinking I was temp. Ok, I slowly drove home w/ flashing warning signal on whole time. When I got home-tried to open liftgate. It wouldn't budge-not w/ power controls inside van nor key fob. It wouldn't open manually either. At that point, I was afraid to drive van any further. Was well after 5 pm & the service dept would be closed but I called them anyway. I talked to john nelson, sales mgr & explained what happened. Told him I was afraid to drive van because of warning light but can't seem to open/close door either. He assured me that van has "safety mechanisms" that would prevent door from flying open while driving. I told him that it was hard to believe van was safe when it seemed warning lights were malfunctioning. Since 7/21/04 the warning light has not come on again. But the problem that preceded the warning light-the constant beeping-still happens all the time, but only when it's warm. Since I live in wi Nov 04-Mar 05 was problem free. Don't know if door will really fly open, but I know Quest already had recall for similar problem-sliding doors not latching in sub-40 weather.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Jan 032005

Nissan Quest 2004 has been in for service 5 times. Tire problems, console lights (possible short) and rear interior lights. The air conditioner failed, the door handle fell off, the front driver side tire was continuously losing air.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Nov 182003

The service engine light came on, the consumer has taken the vehicle in on three occasions. Each time a different service was performed, to include, the computer was reprogrammed, a fuel assembly repair, and a small leak in the vent control valve. The vehicle is in the shop for the check engine light on again.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Dec 202004

Quest 6-cyl

We got the car in Dec 2003. Between Feb 2004 and April 2004 the car had 5-6 hard stars; in most cases it took less than 5 minutes to have it started and only one time more than an hour. I left it there and came back after 5 H.---it started right away. All this happened in houston tx.. Dec 20 2004 in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania, second day of our holyday vacation. I"ve tried to start it for more than 3 hours, until the battery went dead. Finally the dealer picked it up. After about 10 day the Nissan ?trained? auto mechanic comes up with the diagnostic: ?no problem with the car, you just flooded! it is not going to be covered by the warranty!? you don?T have to be a mechanic to know that an injection engine can?T be flooded unless the car has a problem ( no sparking, injectors licks, off timing"). same car the radio/cd sometimes just won?T play; the power is on but no sound. Usually after 5- 10 minutes will go on. The rear ac fan came loose and had to be replaced. (at least this is a problem that could and had been fixed!) nice car but I have to file for lemon. I pay for a new car and I expect it to start when I need it not when it "feels like"

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Dec 222003

Quest 6-cyl

I have had nothing but problems, both big and small, with my brand new Nissan Quest SE. I can almost deal with the sqeaks, rattles, broken buttons, broken lights, malfunctioning sensors, radio problems, and malfunctioning slider doors, but the problem I cannot accept is the failure of the car to run during damp or cold days. The car cranks and starts after a few attempts, but when it is put into drive it either lags as if it's running out of fuel, or dies completely. This has happened on at least 8 occassions, 2 of which I had to call a tow truck because I could not restart the car. Unfortunately, my dealership cannot replicate the problem so nothing has been done. Meanwhile, I never know if my car will run on these days, I have even been forced to walk down the street in below zero windchill temperatures with my children in order to get help. I purchased a new car to have safety and peace of mind, and instead I am losing sleep at night and asking Nissan to buy this car back. I will list the most recent occurrence on the form, but please note this has happened at least 8 times.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Aug 012004

Quest 6-cyl

My van has been repeatedly in the shop since the day we bought. First it was the internal light relay, then noise from the ac, then the dvd/radio didn't work, then rattles from doors, back windows and seats, then all the recall items lastly more rattles in the back and the passenger airbag sensor which ive been informed cannot be fixed. "they haven't come up with a fix for that problem yet.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Aug 062004

We purchased our 2004 Nissan Quest on October 6th, 2003. This was a vehicle that we wanted to get for our family after reviewing safety information etc. Not even two weeks after we had finalized the sale, transmission fluid was all over a parking lot due to a plastic clamp not being replaced at the dealership. Our van would not start and had to be towed to the dealership in order for everything to be checked out. Our second incident happened about a week ago and we are very lucky that there weren't any injuries to report. We were driving down the highway and with the accelerator "floored" our van would not go over 55 mph. On a main highway this is not safe due to other drivers doing above the speed limit or well above. We tried to take it to our dealership but with it being past business hours there was no way that we would have been able to meet with a service representative. The next morning when we took it to the dealership, it was as if nothing had happened. I am very disappointed in this car and can't believe that in less than a year, we are taking it in again to the dealership to have it worked on. Luckily our dealership has gone above what we asked and has done their best to work with us, but without other people complaining and this not being investigated there is little that they can do to pinpoint the problem to fix it. This is the most expensive car that we have bought ever and this is the most times that we have taken in a car for problems in such little time. With two small children, we thought that this van would be the most economical and safe vehicle that we could afford for our family, but we are sadly learning that there are underlying problems that need to be officially recognized and taken care of before something happens to someone. It would be disappointing and sad to see if this occurrence is what it takes for Nissan to investigate such complaints.

- Mounds, OK, USA

Jul 162004

Quest 6-cyl

We purchased this van in Sep of 2003. At the end of Oct I went out to leave for work and the van wouldn't start. We had it towed (my expense) to the dealer. Once it arrived there it started fine. A couple weeks later it did the same thing and we just waited until it warmed up and it started just fine. We discovered that it was doing this when the temperature was below 34 degrees. We again took it to the dealer and they kept the van for 2 1/2 weeks. They finally told us that they were flying in a technician from California to change the fuel pump. Haven't had this trouble until now. Again this week I went to leave for work and it wouldn't start. (now it's 80 degrees outside) the wrecker tried to start it 3 hours later and it still wouldn't start. But after being towed and bounced around it starts again. The dealer has kept the van again and is going to change the fuel pump again. In between these 3 visits we have had to take it in numerous times because the van would have no power and start off in 2nd or 3rd gear. Each time we took it in we were told that Nissan knew it was a problem they just hadn't figured out how to fix it yet. This was finally fixed 2 weeks ago. We have taken the van in because the driver window stutters as it's rolled down, the doors rattle, the passenger side sliding door sticks and difficult to open, and the carpet under the drivers peddles was cut too short and kept pulling loose. Each time I take it in I'm told that there is nothing that can be done. For the window stuttering, they told me it was the window tinting (but the passenger window is fine) we are extremely dissatisfied with this vehicle. We are one step away from violating the lemon law. It states that if the vehicle has to be taken in for 4 times for the same problem in a year it's a lemon. Well, we are on our 3rd visit now. I would strongly recommend that no one purchase this van.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

May 152004

Quest 6-cyl

While applying the accelerator pedal, the vehicle failed to accelerate. Within seconds of parking the vehicle a fire occurred. The vehicle displayed a dangerously slow acceleration as if the transmission was in the wrong gear when trying to accelerate the vehicle. There was also poor fuel economy (11.6 to 12.1 mpg instead of the normal 19-26 mpg). Also, within the first few weeks of ownership, the power sliding door on the right side opened independently on two occasions and failed to open or close on several occasions, there were problems with the control buttons, the radio text display on the dash read malfunction multiple times and sometimes it occured when the engine was started. There was a problem with the catalytic converter.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Jan 312004

Quest 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle on 1/6/04. On 1/7/04 radio would, intermittently cut out. Brought vehicle to dealer on 1/9/04. Was instructed by dealer to return vehicle for repair on 1/15/04. To complete the repair the audio unit was replaced. On 1/31/04 radio repeated original problem of cutting out, brought vehicle to dealership for verification as service was not open.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Nov 252003

The passenger side automatic sliding door opened intermittently while the vehicle was in motion or when it was sitting still. When the door opened it was difficult to close. In one instance the door actually shut on the consumer. The manufacturer and the dealer are aware of the problem.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jul 162003

Quest 6-cyl

2004 Nissan maxima sl 3.5L V6 currently four failures under varying conditions cause the vehicle computer to go into "safe mode", flash vdo and check engine lights, and immediately lose power, reducing speed to approximately 20mph. Authorized dealer has repaired each time and each time reported fixed. Nissan North America restates same, refuses to replace under va lemon law. Car owned 5 months, four failures, each of which could have killed me, my family, or fellow commuters. This car travels approximately 100 miles per day into DC from ashburn as well as serving for trips and around-town general ferrying. Nissan does not care about the safety of my family, friends, and those around us. Multiple incidents, no fatalities - yet, nor property damaged - yet.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 182003

Quest 6-cyl

Rear sliding passenger door safety mechanism for detecting limbs/etc. Does not function to provide safety. This mechanism forcefully pushed a 130 lb adult that was applying significant pressure to stop the door, before hitting a 2 yr old child. Adult unable to prevent door from closing, had to pull child out of harm in addition to self.

- Moore, SC, USA