Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Nissan Quest is great in terms of low complaints, but it also has an abysmal crash test rating for one very common type of impact.

The IIHS' "small overlap" crash test rates the vehicle's ability to protect front seat passengers when the car is impacted across 1/4th of the front bumper.

This mimics hitting a pole, or an off-center crash into another car — more common in the real world than a full frontal head-on crash.

See our crash test page for the detailed results — As you can see from the IIHS' crash test video, the Nissan Quest does not protect intrusion into the passenger space & major injury to the front seat passengers is likely.

2012 Nissan Quest electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Quest:

2012 Nissan Quest Owner Comments

Jan 252016

Though my vehicle was not subject to a recall I had the same issue as the other vehicles that had been recalled. With 40 miles left to go, according to my gauge, my vehicle stalled in traffic, on two different occasions, while turning left into gas stations. When I presented this issue to a dealer and to Nissan America I was told my vehicle was not subject to a recall, even though it was for the same problem and required the same repair as the recalled vehicles. I was charged over $300 for reprogramming my computer.

- Donalsonville, GA, USA

Nov 132015

I bought this vehicle not knowing this vehicle had prior owner trans problem with dealer. At about a month to two month after I bought this vehicle at 68300 in the busy California traffic the vehicle stalled on me foot on the gas but trans is not moving. This is the diagnosis: Doc codes P0725 engine speed * P0746 pic solienoid a * P0776 pic solenoid B * P0868 fluid pressure low * P1701 tcm. * P1722 vehicle speed signal and * P1778 step motor in transmission cvt trans burnt replacement was recommended at a cost $ 3110,81 and labor cost $ 1619,00. Trans was done by August 14 2014 in November 2015 the same thing again too many people are having the same problem with this trans in cars an vans the dealer is doing nothing about it. Imagine 3 times same vehicle and it' under 70,000 miles

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jul 102014

May 2014, I had a wet driver side a pillar that was leaking. Nissan attributed it to a defective sunroof with a crack. The headliner, subwoofer and amplifier were replaced. On July 10, 2015, I took my car to a flagship carwash. After my car was washed I noticed water on the right side of the rear sunroof and on the headliner in the rear of the vehicle on both the right and left sides of the car was wet in all the above noted locations. My radio also stopped working. Nissan had my car for five days and said they could not recreate the leak or determine what was wrong with the radio. They would not look at the radio as it was not under warranty. I took my car to a local radio repair shop and they discovered rust behind the panels in the rear of the vehicle, in the cargo area and 2 inches of water under my cargo area. Vehicle was purchased Feb 2013 new.

- Parkton , MD, USA

Feb 192015

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Quest. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted; however, it would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the solenoid needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle was exhibiting same failures as mentioned in NHTSA campaign number: 12V076000 (electrical system, fuel system, gasoline). The VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,499.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 152012

Quest 6-cyl

I was parked on a slope, with about 1/8 a tank of gas and the van would not start. I was able to start the vehicle after I put it in neutral and rolled it to level ground. I googled the problem and found out there was a recall, which I was never informed about. I took the van into the local Nissan shop and they performed the recall fix. When I asked why I wasn't notified of the recall, they said that my vehicle was manufactured after the dates covered by the recall, but it was obviously affected by the same issue (and that the dates in the recall must be "off"). the recall number is 12V076000, it covers vehicles manufactured between 7/29/2010 and 2/21/2012. My vehicle was manufactured on 2/23/2012, and has the same issue.

- North Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Sep 022012

Quest 6-cyl

Car was parked on a parking lot on a very slight decline. Low fuel indicator just came on but distance to empty indicator still shows 50+ miles. Vehicle started at first but started to shudder and then engine died. Tried restarting a few times but it will just shut off right away. All electrical components were fine (radio, lights, etc). Had to put 2 gallons of gas to get it to start again. Drove to the gas station right away and filled it up with only 14.5 gallons of tank. Manual says vehicle has 20 gallon fuel tank capacity. I was aware of the recall (campaign: 12V076000) but initially thought that my vehicle was not included since the campaign was back in March 2012 and I bought the vehicle in July 2012. Was later confirmed by Nissan Consumer Affairs and dealer service advisor that my car was indeed not included in the recall. However, car shows similar symptoms with same model cars that were recalled.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Aug 292012

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Quest. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was not accurately displaying the level of fuel in the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle stalled while driving 35 mph due to low fuel although the fuel gauge indicated that the tank was half full. The contact inquired with the manufacturer regarding NHTSA campaign I.D. number: 12V076000 (electrical system: Software) before purchasing the vehicle and the manufacturer advised that the vehicle did not fall under the recall. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer. The failure mileage was 500.

- Auburn, AL, USA