Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Nissan Quest is great in terms of low complaints, but it also has an abysmal crash test rating for one very common type of impact.

The IIHS' "small overlap" crash test rates the vehicle's ability to protect front seat passengers when the car is impacted across 1/4th of the front bumper.

This mimics hitting a pole, or an off-center crash into another car — more common in the real world than a full frontal head-on crash.

See our crash test page for the detailed results — As you can see from the IIHS' crash test video, the Nissan Quest does not protect intrusion into the passenger space & major injury to the front seat passengers is likely.

2012 Nissan Quest engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Quest:

2012 Nissan Quest Owner Comments

Jan 252016

Though my vehicle was not subject to a recall I had the same issue as the other vehicles that had been recalled. With 40 miles left to go, according to my gauge, my vehicle stalled in traffic, on two different occasions, while turning left into gas stations. When I presented this issue to a dealer and to Nissan America I was told my vehicle was not subject to a recall, even though it was for the same problem and required the same repair as the recalled vehicles. I was charged over $300 for reprogramming my computer.

- Donalsonville, GA, USA

Jan 022015

The vehicle has developed a hesitation from a stop position. When you are stopped at a traffic light and try to accelerate, the vehicle hesitates. It does not do it all the time but it is getting more frequent. I had the vehicle back to the dealership before the warranty ran out. They said nothing wrong. I have also talked to Nissan customer relations (mark @ 615-725-7561) and was assigned a case number (19100795). I feel like this is a safety issue which should be addressed by Nissan. I know there is a recall about this problem and hills and low gas. I never let my gas tank get below 1/2 tank and where I live and drive there are no hills. I am documenting this issue in case an accident results, in which case Nissan will hear about it again.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Aug 292014

Engine mount found broken during oil change. Changed and found broken again at about 50000. Changed and found broken a third time at 75000.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

May 302013

Quest 6-cyl

My car randomly accelerated on 2 occasions, May 30, 2013 and June 27, 2013. The first incident resulted in a crash, hitting a pole, tree, and another vehicle. 2nd incident was a near miss, almost had a head on collision with another vehicle. My 9 year old son and I were in the car. No resolution from Nissan. They are not concerned about safety. Want me to take car back without any explanation.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Nov 092012

Quest 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Quest. The contact stated that after accelerating from a complete stop, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The contact also stated that the windshield wipers failed to clear the entire windshield, which created a blind spot. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 34. Updated 7/15/13 the consumer stated the stalling has progressed, which also occurred while the vehicle was in reverse. Updated 07/22/13

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Jun 192012

Quest 6-cyl

3 months after purchasing a brand new 2012 Nissan Quest (purchased vehicle on 04/15/2012), I was driving down a hill at a low rate of speed when the engine shut off and the car stated there was no more gas, even though there was a quarter tank. Cars behind me slammed on their brakes and luckily we were not hit. I put the car in neutral and after coasting down the hill and reaching a level part of the road, my car started again and told me that I had a quarter tank. After taking the car to the dealer, I learned there was an open recall campaign (NHTSA recall 12V076) on the 2012 Quest and the remedy was not performed prior to me purchasing the vehicle, which is against regulations as the recall campaign was started by Nissan before I purchased the vehicle. On 06/20/2012 (1 day after the incident) I took the car to a Nissan dealer to be repaired and the problem was supposedly fixed at town center Nissan under R/O number 6012078/1. on September 26th I started to turn into an intersection on a green arrow when my car shut off and said I was out of gas, (a minute prior to that the car said I had 37 miles and a quarter tank left). I was almost rear ended (the car had to swerve into another lane) and good samaritans pushed me into a parking lot close by. I realize that NHTSA has already acted on the problem my car experienced, but I feel something should be done with regards to the dealer "gwinnett place Nissan" who sold me the car without first fixing the problem (since it was a brand new car). I also want NHTSA to be aware that the "fix" so far has not worked for my vehicle. We are giving them a "final repair opportunity notice" via the lemon law.

- Acworth, GA, USA