CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Nissan Quest is great in terms of low complaints, but it also has an abysmal crash test rating for one very common type of impact.

The IIHS' "small overlap" crash test rates the vehicle's ability to protect front seat passengers when the car is impacted across 1/4th of the front bumper.

This mimics hitting a pole, or an off-center crash into another car — more common in the real world than a full frontal head-on crash.

See our crash test page for the detailed results — As you can see from the IIHS' crash test video, the Nissan Quest does not protect intrusion into the passenger space & major injury to the front seat passengers is likely.

3.9

2012 Nissan Quest fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Quest:

2012 Nissan Quest Owner Comments

Jan 252016

Quest

Though my vehicle was not subject to a recall I had the same issue as the other vehicles that had been recalled. With 40 miles left to go, according to my gauge, my vehicle stalled in traffic, on two different occasions, while turning left into gas stations. When I presented this issue to a dealer and to Nissan America I was told my vehicle was not subject to a recall, even though it was for the same problem and required the same repair as the recalled vehicles. I was charged over $300 for reprogramming my computer.

- Donalsonville, GA, USA

Feb 192015

Quest

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Quest. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted; however, it would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the solenoid needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle was exhibiting same failures as mentioned in NHTSA campaign number: 12V076000 (electrical system, fuel system, gasoline). The VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,499.

- Southfield, MI, USA

May 192013

Quest 6-cyl

I was going to get gas for my Nissan Quest, the reading said I had 30 more miles to go before empty. I drove around the circle in the road and made the turn onto the road and my car stalled. I was almost hit by a truck behind me, but it swerved off the road to avoid my car.

- Milllersville, MD, USA

Nov 152012

Quest 6-cyl

I was parked on a slope, with about 1/8 a tank of gas and the van would not start. I was able to start the vehicle after I put it in neutral and rolled it to level ground. I googled the problem and found out there was a recall, which I was never informed about. I took the van into the local Nissan shop and they performed the recall fix. When I asked why I wasn't notified of the recall, they said that my vehicle was manufactured after the dates covered by the recall, but it was obviously affected by the same issue (and that the dates in the recall must be "off"). the recall number is 12V076000, it covers vehicles manufactured between 7/29/2010 and 2/21/2012. My vehicle was manufactured on 2/23/2012, and has the same issue.

- North Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Jun 192012

Quest 6-cyl

3 months after purchasing a brand new 2012 Nissan Quest (purchased vehicle on 04/15/2012), I was driving down a hill at a low rate of speed when the engine shut off and the car stated there was no more gas, even though there was a quarter tank. Cars behind me slammed on their brakes and luckily we were not hit. I put the car in neutral and after coasting down the hill and reaching a level part of the road, my car started again and told me that I had a quarter tank. After taking the car to the dealer, I learned there was an open recall campaign (NHTSA recall 12V076) on the 2012 Quest and the remedy was not performed prior to me purchasing the vehicle, which is against regulations as the recall campaign was started by Nissan before I purchased the vehicle. On 06/20/2012 (1 day after the incident) I took the car to a Nissan dealer to be repaired and the problem was supposedly fixed at town center Nissan under R/O number 6012078/1. on September 26th I started to turn into an intersection on a green arrow when my car shut off and said I was out of gas, (a minute prior to that the car said I had 37 miles and a quarter tank left). I was almost rear ended (the car had to swerve into another lane) and good samaritans pushed me into a parking lot close by. I realize that NHTSA has already acted on the problem my car experienced, but I feel something should be done with regards to the dealer "gwinnett place Nissan" who sold me the car without first fixing the problem (since it was a brand new car). I also want NHTSA to be aware that the "fix" so far has not worked for my vehicle. We are giving them a "final repair opportunity notice" via the lemon law.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Sep 022012

Quest 6-cyl

Car was parked on a parking lot on a very slight decline. Low fuel indicator just came on but distance to empty indicator still shows 50+ miles. Vehicle started at first but started to shudder and then engine died. Tried restarting a few times but it will just shut off right away. All electrical components were fine (radio, lights, etc). Had to put 2 gallons of gas to get it to start again. Drove to the gas station right away and filled it up with only 14.5 gallons of tank. Manual says vehicle has 20 gallon fuel tank capacity. I was aware of the recall (campaign: 12V076000) but initially thought that my vehicle was not included since the campaign was back in March 2012 and I bought the vehicle in July 2012. Was later confirmed by Nissan Consumer Affairs and dealer service advisor that my car was indeed not included in the recall. However, car shows similar symptoms with same model cars that were recalled.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA