2008 Nissan Rogue drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Rogue:

2008 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 192016

Rogue

"takata recall" I was driving down the highway and stop for the red light, the light turned green and I went to pull into the intersection for a left turn and my car would not move. I was lucky I was not rear ended by the cars behind me. I had my car towed to the dealer. The diagnosis was internal transmission failure. I also had the same diagnosis back in 2013 with a whistling and knocking sound. It was called a cvt problem but in 2013 it was still under extended warranty so a new transmission was put in free of charge. This time I am ask to pay for a transmission out of pocket that I know is defective and it will cause a serious accident one day. My car is at hudson Nissan charleston SC 29406 with a price tag of $5101.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Dec 012016

Rogue

I live in the denver area, and my daughter is in college in Utah. She complained for the last several months while in school that the car would sporadically just stop accelerating. She also said she had not changed the oil in a while, so I thought that's what her problem was. She then changed the oil, and continued telling me that it would just stop accelerating, and she said she was scared to drive it, because she felt she would get into an accident. Her school is in South central Utah, and the closest Nissan service center was 100 + miles away, so I recommended she take it to the local mechanic, who filled it with transmission fliud. I then told her to take it to the nearest transmission shop, (provo, 100 + miles away), and he told us about the Nissan cvt transmission issues, and it would be $3900 to replace. The car now has 123,900 miles on it. After researching, and finding out that Nissan extended the warranty to 120,000 miles, which I knew that the car was over the warranty, but decided to have it towed to ken garff Nissan, nearby. The verdict, replace the cvt transmission at my expense, for $4600. I told the technician that what's the use of paying that much money, and then have the same problem happen again. He explained that now they also install a cvt cooling unit, which is suppose to fix the problems. I let him know that that's what Nissan should have originally done, recall the transmission, and install the cooling unit. I immediately called Nissan Consumer Affairs, and filed a complaint. They called the next day, (today), and said they could not do anything, and closed the case! the investigator said that this only happened in the rouges from 2003 through 2010. I let him know that that was not true, and is happening to several other models with the cvt transmission, up to 2015! he said there was nothing they could do but to put me in a new vehicle!

- Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 182016

Rogue

After highway driving when stopped at a traffic light vehicle has no power upon resuming driving

- Whitinsville, MA, USA

Feb 012016

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced severe front end vibration without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure was confirmed; however, the remedy was not provided. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed new tires. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to another independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission was defective. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 115,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Jun 052016

Rogue

It's been going on for a year now. The dealership I bought the car from couldn't figure out the problem. The car revs up with no applied acceleration. It will slow down to 45 mph and I'll have to pull off the road cut it off and restart the car and it'll straighten out for another 30-45 miles and repeat. It's pretty dangerous bc the first time it happened I was on the interstate. I've read a lot of forums and it seems to be an ongoing problem in most Nissan. Not just the Rogue. I feel as if this problem should be on immediate recall.

- Alma, GA, USA

Apr 072016

Rogue

I was driving in highway conditions (55mph in 55mph zone) when the car suddenly decelerated and would not get above 30mph. Cars behind me had to swerve around me in order to get around me with the sudden deceleration. I was able to make it off the highway & onto local roads. Every time I had to accelerate after a stop light or stop sign, the car would not initially accelerate despite me pushing full down on the accelerator. This repeatedly almost resulted in my being hit by cars behind me. I was able to slowly make it home. I took the car to the dealer I bought it from, and was told that the cvt transmission had failed. I was also told that I am beyond the warranty extension (about 9,000 miles past the 120,000 extension), so I will be responsible for the cost of replacing the transmission. I don't understand why this has not been a recall with the # of complaints all about the same issue. Also, if the manufacturer has extended the warranty, doesn't that mean they must be aware that it is a widespread problem?! it is so dangerous to be driving at 55 and suddenly without warning decelerate significantly. It is a wonder that no one has been hurt (& unfortunately probably only a matter of time before someone is). This appears to be widespread issue with this year & model of Rogue.

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 112016

Rogue

The 2008 Nissan Rogue we purchased in March 2009 has experienced continual cvt transmission failures. The first failure was May 2009 and the cvt was replaced. The part was found to be malfunctioning after determining the vehicle was not shifting properly and was experiencing high rpms while driving. The cvt was replaced again in April 2014 after losing functionality in a potentially dangerous situation. The failure of the transmission occurred while traveling at high speeds on the expressway at which point the vehicle suddenly experienced heightened rpms, began decelerating and would not accelerate greater than 20mph. We safely exited the expressway at an approaching exit and coasted to a Nissan dealership less than three blocks from the expressway exit. Nissan recently alerted us that the current cvt transmission in our vehicle will need to be replaced again despite having only 20,000 miles since the replacement in 2014. Nissan has declined to cover this faulty part in the vehicle and has offered instead to provide a longer warranty if we purchase a brand new vehicle instead. If the cvt fails in this vehicle, it will have been the third transmission during our ownership of the vehicle, requiring a fourth to be installed.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Mar 282016

Rogue

I was hearing & feeling a noise when accelerating and decelerating so I took my car in to the Nissan dealers service center to see what was going on. They stated that my transmission and transfer case needed to be replaced. Nissan has extended the transmission warranty to 120K miles but doesn't back the transfer case or anything else that relates to this know issue. They should be held liable for all issues concerning this matter.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Mar 142016

Rogue

Vehicle started with a whining noise which eventually was followed by loss of speed/power. Acceleration after stopping was reduced to a crawl, also grinding noises and shaking and vehicle wanting to stall. I am now unable to drive as I am fearful of devastating consequences. This car was bought new and still owe $6500, and a new transmission running approx $3000 the expense does not make sense. Nissan knowingly sold vehicles to consumers to fill they're pockets putting all at risk and fail to support the defective product!

- Hudson, NH, USA

Mar 132016

Rogue

My car had a lost power driving back from rocky mountain national park and I was forced to pull over and turn off my car it started up and I was able to make it back safe but I think it has something to do with the cvt. I really sucks and I don't feel safe driving my car right now.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 182016

Rogue

"defective cvt transmissions" I took my vehicle to dealer for an oil change and to have a light knocking coming from somewhere in engine checked. I paid for a diagnostic. I was told that the transmission was bad that I fell under the recall but not with current mileage 131,099. I was told I had to pay to replace cvt transmission. I hear the noise only when the vehicle is in motion not when it's stationary.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Jan 022016

Rogue

I have a 2008 Nissan rouge I also have problems with tans going up hill its like it quits pulling and now the check engine lit is on and it want change like it should took it the dealer had it in the shop before twice and they said it fixed it was leaking fluid from the trans. And now this happens guest some one have to get heart or killed before some one makes Nissan fixes the problems with the vehicles when they stop working they our a problem with it I see all of the complaints and still no one has done anything why.

- London, KY, USA

Dec 142015

Rogue

I had a Nissan Rogue cvt transmission issue last year. Our car had multiple acceleration issues that we got lucky we didn't have any accidents. One of many issue was on labor day weekend we decided to go on a vacation to relax after days and weeks of hard work at the office. Again our vacation was cut short. It took us 6 hours to drive a 2.5 hour drive. I had to stop, let the transmission cool down and drive again with a speed of less than 50mph sometimes taking the streets to keep the speed down. I took the car to the dealer, under warranty, they wanted to do a few minor services. They told me that they had fixed the problem and that there wouldn't be any more issues. It happened again and again. Finally, I opened a case through Nissan and got my car a new transmission. The transmission has starting problems again and I am really tired of this. I got a call from my wife this morning that she was in the middle of the intersection waiting to make a left turn. She had loss of acceleration right in the middle of the intersection as the light turned red and and cars from the other side started to go straight to her honking their horn. She said that the car would not move and finally started to move very slowly. She was terrified and crying. I am really tired of this and really its unacceptable. Our rouge is our only car and my wife drives it to and from work and it is at this point that I can not accept this issue anymore, it is a danger to my family. I have had it with this car.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 262015

Rogue

This is my second transmission the first one warrantee cover it but now I have no warrantee and the cost is about $4,000 this is not what I expected from a good company name. The vehichle was stationart when it happen it did not have power to move.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Oct 022015

Rogue

On an out of town trip to hereford Texas from ft. Worth tx., vehicle would not go above 60 mph halfway to my destination. After several trips to the dealership, the transmission was replaced. Transmissions is acting up again after 40K miles and cant be trusted to be on the road as the you can step on the gas all the way and speed will not exceed 60 mph. It seems to mess up when on longer drives of over 30 minutes when the transmission gets hot.

- Watauga, TX, USA

Oct 312015

Rogue

Transmission safety issue - while driving on the highway my vehicle completely stopped pulling. We were in heavy traffic and my daughter was a passenger in the back seat. There was no warning before this happened, no warning lights at all! my daughter and I could have easily been seriously injured or killed.

- Trussville, AL, USA

Mar 162015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. While driving at approximately 25, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. After the vehicle was repaired, it was discovered that there was a transmission leak. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000....updated 02/19/16

- Belflower, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Rogue

While driving 2008 Nissan Rogue on highway 70 in New Mexico at posted speed limit of 75 mph, the vehicle experienced rapid loss of speed and power in which pressing down on accelerator had no effect on vehicle. Pulled over to the side of the road and shut vehicle off. Inspected vehicle for any obvious signs of source of malfunction. Restarted vehicle after 20 minutes and resumed travel with no additional problems on this trip. This malfunction has repeated on several occasions since, with more regularity to date. Seems to occur most often when driving to a higher elevation after an hour or more of continuous operation. When malfunction occurs, engine will not exceed 2500-3000 rpms even with gas pedal fully depressed. This happened first in January 2014 and I took it to Nissan dealer in albuquerque who said nothing was wrong with transmission. Vehicle worked fine for over a year and two months ago again started with this problem. Malfunction is intermittent, but recently more frequent. I brought it to a Nissan dealer in las cruces nm but they didnt have a transmission tech in that day. I was charged a $120 diagnostic fee and told they could find nothing wrong but to bring it back on a day when transmission tech will be in. Its an hour and half drive for me each way. Have since read many similar complaints on the internet from other owners of same year, make and model vehicle. I feel there should be a recall on this vehicle for this problem.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Jul 292015

Rogue

The cvt (continuously variable transmission on my car exploded when the seals failed (a defect common to these cars) going about 60 mph on the way through Kansas to Colorado. It almost caused an accident as it led to the car smoking and an extreme loss of speed while in traffic. Nissan knows there are defects with this transmission and yet continue to put them in the Nissan Rogues.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jul 092015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Rogue. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle started to lose acceleration power and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission valve body needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000. The VIN was not available.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA