2009 Nissan Rogue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Rogue:

2009 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments

Sep 192016

Rogue

The car will not go over 40 miles per hour on mountain passes. It is very scary when sharing a 2 lane highway with trucks. It overheats and you are stuck. I am not the only one with a 2009 Rogue having this issue. It needs to be recalled and repaired by Nissan not by the consumer.

- Reno, NV, USA

Nov 012016

Rogue

My Nissan Rogue will periodically stop acceleration while I am driving on the highway. I have the pedal pushed all the way down and the car will not accelerate. I will be going the posted speed and for no apparent reason, my car will start to de-accelerating on its own. After reading several complaints I am finding out that this is due to the cvt transmission in this particular model. This is a safety hazard to anyone who is driving this car. Also, I have noticed a loud noise when I put the car in gear, which I am reading is a sign that the transmission is going out. I purchased an extended warranty on this vehicle but none of the repairs that I have listed are covered. This car is a piece of junk and I will not get anything for it upon trade-in. I am stuck with this car, and have put over $3,000 in this car already over the last 6 months.

- Forney, TX, USA

Jul 022016

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan rouge. While driving approximately 60 mph, the RPM gauge fluctuated without warning, causing the vehicle to accelerate and decelerate independently. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic twice, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was later taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was approximately 87,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 012009

Rogue

This is a safety issue! - over the past few years, I filed a complaint to the NHTSA and made numerous complaints to the dealer service center about this ongoing problem with the cvt. I commute everyday on the NJ turnpike. I have to make stops 'to let the engine/cvt cool off' both going and coming home from work because the car will not accelerate. I barely get over to the shoulder in high speed traffic. Sometimes if there isn't an immediate shoulder, I have to go at a speed of 5-10 mph in high speed turnpike traffic of 60-80 mph to finally get to a shoulder. I already replaced one cvt in this car. This problem has been going on since 2009 when I purchased this car. Now I see in 2014 Nissan came up with a 'fix' to replace/install a cooler kit and a trans oil cooler. The two kits cost about $860 without installation. Why is this cost passed on to us the consumers" this is a problem with the Nissan cvt design. Nissan should make good on their promise to the customer and recall the vehicles with this cvt issue to replace/install the needed parts without making us pay for their defective vehicle design. Oh and I I said earlier, I have been complaining to the dealer service center for years including 2014 and none of the service techs ever mentioned the cooler kit fixes to me. Their response was that they could not duplicate the problem I was having with the car. I will never buy another Nissan and I tell everyone I know about these cvt issues. There are at least 100+ complaints on this site about the cvt. What will it take to get a recall? why do the consumers have to pay for Nissan's faulty cvt design"

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Sep 042015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that after driving for an extended period of time which exceeded one hour, the vehicle would stall as the service engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that while driving uphill, the vehicle would decelerate independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Aug 202015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle made an abnormal rumbling noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tires may be the cause of the failure. The tires were rotated, but the rumbling noise was still present. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic for a second opinion where it was diagnosed by the technician that the tires were not the issue; however, the motor was moving when the vehicle was on. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the axle needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic who stated that the dealer never performed the repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Tuskegee, AL, USA

Aug 062015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. After stopping at a stop sign, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. While the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle suddenly jerked forward. In addition, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the intake valve hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air filter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Smithfield, ME, USA

Jul 192015

Rogue

When I was traveling on the highway for over an hour going 80 mph, the vechicle quickly deccelerated and when I stepped on the pedal for gas all the way to the floor it did not accelerate. It was very scary since there were are traveling behind me and I was afraid they would crash into me. This has happened every time I take my vehicle on the highway traveling for over an hour for the past year. I am terrified I am going to cause a crash while traveling with my child, this is definitely a safety hazard.

- South Portland, ME, USA

May 172015

Rogue

While driving a highway on 65 mph sudden loss of acceleration occurs. Pressing the acceleration pedal does not make any effect on a car speed. RPM falls to 1-2K and did not goes up. Was able to pull over and stop. After 15 minutes with the engine turned off, problem disappears. This happened for the third time, as a previously, it occurs after a long drive (more than 3 hours) or on a high speed (more than 75 mph). It is a safety concern when a car decelerated from 65 to 30 mph on a highway.

- Golden, CO, USA

Apr 232015

Rogue

My transmission got stuck in 1st gear when pulling out onto a busy road, causing me to have pull over and almost getting hit by other vehicles, when I took it to my mechanic and then a licensed Nissan dealership I was informed it was the transmission and furthermore informed that on the Consumer Affairs Nissan website it states they have had many problems with this transmission and doubled the warranty from 60,000 miles to 120,000 miles due to this defective transmission, on not just my model and year but over 8 years and 3 different models of Nissan however because I was 5000 miles over the warranty they would not help me pay for the $3586 I had to pay to make the vehicle driveable and secondly what if this transmission would have gotten stuck or went out on a hwy where I was doing 65 mph Nissan should also be responsible for the cost for getting this defective product fixed I call them several times at Consumer Affairs and they will not assist me at all because I am 5000 miles over the warranty the public needs to know how terrible of a company this is and how dangerous this could be for others who own these vehicles.

- Depere , WI, USA

Dec 062014

Rogue 4-cyl

Car transmission makes whining sound. As you drive up an incline it gets worse. Car shuts down while driving. You are forced to pull over as you have no power. After 5 -10 minutes the car will start up again. Car was brought to Nissan and they were aware of the issue. They installed an external oil cooler as their cvt transmission has issues with overheating. This is most definitely a safety issue as the car just shuts down and apparently this is a known problem by Nissan. Nissan charged $1000 to fix the issue which should be a recalled safety issue with the car. There have been numerous complaints and situations where this has happened to other Rogue owners.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

May 202014

Rogue

Vehicle lost acceleration while changing lanes and crashed with another faster car.

- Arcadia , CA, USA

Jun 142014

Rogue 4-cyl

The car went into "limp mode" unexpectedly and does not move. Nissan's older cvt transmission gets hot and to protect itself, Nissan has it programmed to shut itself down. As a result, the car will not move, even though it is in gear. This happens after long highway drives (1 hour +) or when climbing long hills. The dealer solution is to continually flush the transmission fluid every 30K miles at a cost of over $200 each time. This is very very very dangerous, if you are making a left-hand turn into traffic after coming to a stop, there is a huge potential to be involved in a collision. Additionally, when on the highway, climbing a hill, the car has again, gone into limp mode and slowed down to a crawl, making the vehicle behind you almost rear-end you. Additionally, Nissan's answer has been to extend the warranty on the transmission to 120K, but that is of no value because the dealers will never admit that the cvt needs replacing nor does it pay for the $250 cvt flush. Please look into this, it is very very very dangerous.

- Mayfield Heights, OH, USA

Aug 032014

Rogue 4-cyl

I was traveling on a highway on a long distance trip and after about 2 1/2 hours, my vehicle won't accelerate past 60 mph as I was passing another vehicle. It was dangerous this happened because vehicles(including big trucks) behind me had to brake because of my unexpected no acceleration. There were no warning lights lit on the instrument panel to indicate anything wrong. After a the rest stop, the vehicle went back to normal but did it again while returning three days later and after driving for more than two and half hours. Called Nissan customer service and was told to take it to Nissan dealer to get checked. Called dealer and I have appointment next week.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Apr 232014

Rogue 4-cyl

TL * the contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate past 80 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but the results were unknown. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 23,000. Updated 09/26/14 the consumer stated after driving 80 continuous miles the vehicle would loose power. It would decelerate to 30mph and not respond to acceleration. The manufacturer was notified and refused any assistance. After driving 50 continuous miles at a time, the driver must pull over to a safe stop in order to let the engine rest for 10 minutes. Updated 02/25/2015

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 212014

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle suddenly decelerated then stalled. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and wait for hours before it could be restarted. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 84,000.

- La Plata , MD, USA

Apr 102014

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, there was a complete loss of engine power without warning. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Mabscott, WV, USA

Sep 062013

Rogue

I was leaving a store and gas light came on. I knew that I had fill up before entering the I-95 interstate and I was a bit perplexed. I drove to a gas station and filled up once again and notice that the gas gauge filled to its capacity. This occurred a few months ago and I dismissed it. On 9/19/13, I stopped at a gas station and the check engine light came on. On 9/20/13 I took the vehicle to the dealership for a diagnostic check and was told that I needed a fuel sending unit which would cost me $1,087 which includes parts and labor. Of course, I decline to repair it because at that time I was frustrated with Nissan and was thinking about trading in the car. Previously, I took the vehicle back on two occasions for transmission problems which I was grateful that it was under warranty. The dealership replaced the transmission and treated this incident an occurring problem with 09 Rogue. I only have this vehicle for 1.5 years and I am fearful each time that I drive. Even the triple a young man told me to get rid of it because within the last month he has to tow quite a few. My commute on interstate each day is worrisome because I don't know what is going to happen next. Now I am stuck with a new problem with this vehicle that I am still paying for and spending more money on gas because I don't know what can happen. Please we must do something with this company Nissan. I placed a complaint today 9/23/13 and was told they would call me back since they don't have any information with this type of recall. (liars) they are lots of complaints about the fuel sending unit on Nissan. I am not certain if I will continue to make payments on a car that I truly feel unsafe with or write off my loss and look for another vehicle. Either way, I had to write this complaint since I have never felt so unsafe driving a vehicle.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 132012

Rogue 4-cyl

When going over 60 miles an hour, usually about an hour into a long drive, the Nissan Rogue will not accelerate. The RPM indicator goes haywire and my foot is completely down on the pedal but there is no acceleration. This first happened in August 2012 when I was driving over a mountain to get to the desert so I thought the car was overheating. Since then this has been happening consistently whenever I drive for over an hour (which I often do for work). At times, the car will not move forward if it is at a stoplight even when my foot is completely on the floor. Then it revs up after a minute but not before everyone else starts honking. This is extremely dangerous when you are on the freeway and suddenly your car stops accelerating. All the cars behind you start passing you but it will only take one car not paying attention to cause a huge accident, injury or death and then Nissan will be in real trouble. I have found hundreds of incidences and complaints from other Nissan Rogue drivers over the past couple years with the exact same problem.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

May 272012

Rogue

We had a check engine light come on, took it to the dealer the next day said it was nothing. Went on a trip 200 ish miles on the way home I had to pass a car and when I stepped on the gas nothing happened. I was left looking at on coming traffic and had to move back over. No acceleration at all. Scared we were going to ruin it by driving any longer I pulled over. We had lunch and tried again about an hour later it seemed fine. About 15 mins into the drive it did the same thing. Not sure exactly what the problem is but I believe it has something to do with the transmission. Also yesterday it rained and now the traction control light has come on. The car is far to new to have these kind of problems, and they could cause accidents.

- West Palm Beach , FL, USA