2009 Nissan Rogue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Rogue:

2009 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments

Dec 012009

Rogue

This is a safety issue! - over the past few years, I filed a complaint to the NHTSA and made numerous complaints to the dealer service center about this ongoing problem with the cvt. I commute everyday on the NJ turnpike. I have to make stops 'to let the engine/cvt cool off' both going and coming home from work because the car will not accelerate. I barely get over to the shoulder in high speed traffic. Sometimes if there isn't an immediate shoulder, I have to go at a speed of 5-10 mph in high speed turnpike traffic of 60-80 mph to finally get to a shoulder. I already replaced one cvt in this car. This problem has been going on since 2009 when I purchased this car. Now I see in 2014 Nissan came up with a 'fix' to replace/install a cooler kit and a trans oil cooler. The two kits cost about $860 without installation. Why is this cost passed on to us the consumers" this is a problem with the Nissan cvt design. Nissan should make good on their promise to the customer and recall the vehicles with this cvt issue to replace/install the needed parts without making us pay for their defective vehicle design. Oh and I I said earlier, I have been complaining to the dealer service center for years including 2014 and none of the service techs ever mentioned the cooler kit fixes to me. Their response was that they could not duplicate the problem I was having with the car. I will never buy another Nissan and I tell everyone I know about these cvt issues. There are at least 100+ complaints on this site about the cvt. What will it take to get a recall? why do the consumers have to pay for Nissan's faulty cvt design"

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Sep 042015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that after driving for an extended period of time which exceeded one hour, the vehicle would stall as the service engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that while driving uphill, the vehicle would decelerate independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Aug 062015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. After stopping at a stop sign, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. While the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle suddenly jerked forward. In addition, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the intake valve hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air filter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Smithfield, ME, USA

Jul 192015

Rogue

When I was traveling on the highway for over an hour going 80 mph, the vechicle quickly deccelerated and when I stepped on the pedal for gas all the way to the floor it did not accelerate. It was very scary since there were are traveling behind me and I was afraid they would crash into me. This has happened every time I take my vehicle on the highway traveling for over an hour for the past year. I am terrified I am going to cause a crash while traveling with my child, this is definitely a safety hazard.

- South Portland, ME, USA

May 172015

Rogue

While driving a highway on 65 mph sudden loss of acceleration occurs. Pressing the acceleration pedal does not make any effect on a car speed. RPM falls to 1-2K and did not goes up. Was able to pull over and stop. After 15 minutes with the engine turned off, problem disappears. This happened for the third time, as a previously, it occurs after a long drive (more than 3 hours) or on a high speed (more than 75 mph). It is a safety concern when a car decelerated from 65 to 30 mph on a highway.

- Golden, CO, USA

Mar 172015

Rogue

Wife turning left at stop light. Stepped on gas pedal and very little acceleration, almost T-boned. It happens intermittently, and with no warning. I was driving to the dealer and it happened to me. Stopped for a red light and then the problem was gone. The dealer said the break switch was the problem. I declined repairs because every time I take the Rogue to check and repairs something else need fixing. I will take for repairs to a aaa repair shop near my home. Wounder if other Nissan Rogue owner have experienced this problem. The scary thing is that there is no warning lights on the dash and no warning at all. Thanks you. Don masias

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 132014

Rogue

The vehicle would not move when accelerating. This was the first time and since then it has happened on multiple occasions. The check engine light has not been on at all it randomly occurs. It seems that it would be an extremely hazardous situation for a vehicle to hesitate in regards to acceleration. It is anywhere from a 2-10 second delay. I have just learned that this is a common problem among many owners of the Nissan Rogue and it needs to be addressed immediately before someone is injured or worse dead. I am scheduling an appointment to address the issue but when I am making a left turn into traffic and I'm met with vehicles coming towards me as my vehicle hesitates to accelerate I would definitely consider this a life threatening issue for both me and my family.

- Wynne, AR, USA

May 282012

Rogue 4-cyl

While driving home from wa to ca I noticed while driving up the great vine my 2009 Nissan Rogue started to decelerate from 70 mph to 45-55 mph, I had my foot pressed pedal to the metal with no acceleration. The vehicle just made it but while at another slight hill my vehicle did the same thing however this time it reduced to speed that posed a safety concern while on a highway. The speed dropped from 70 to about 30 in a matter of seconds. My infant son and wife were in the vehicle as it started to shut down I managed to get out of the highway but not before we had big rigs and other vehicles slow down or change lanes to avoid a collision. My vehicle would no longer move nor would for I had zero acceleration capabilities. Please recall this vehicle for it poses a safety concern that may cause a serious injury, lawsuit and even death to an operator, passenger and or others.

- Murrieta , CA, USA

Jul 232014

Rogue

My girlfriend was driving on highway 80 East heading up to truckee. While climbing in the mountain the car lost the ability to rev higher than 2500rpm. Her speed tropped from 65 to 35 on a mountain road and was almost rear ended by a semi. No matter how much gas she gave the care would not go faster than 35 mph. She had to pull over off the freeway and after shutting off the car for 15 minutes every ran fine. Now any time we drive for more than 60 minutes we loose power and have to pull off the highway to let the car rest because of loss of power. Almost been in two accidents.

- Dublin, CA, USA

May 202014

Rogue

Vehicle lost acceleration while changing lanes and crashed with another faster car.

- Arcadia , CA, USA

Jun 082014

Rogue

My 2009 Nissan Rogue is having problems with being unable to accelerate when going up an incline with speeds of 55mph and above. This has been an ongoing problem for almost a year. I'll be doing 60-75mph and then I notice that my foot is on the floor board and I'm losing speed. The first time this happened (July 11, 2013) I lost all speed and had to pull off the interstate. It was incredibly dangerous. On top of it I wasn't able to get my car to start for 20 minutes. I took it to a mechanic after it happened who said everything was fine, and he couldn't find anything. The loss of speed has happened on at least 5 occasions since last summer.

- Rockville, MD, USA

May 012013

Rogue

I was driving at highway speed between 70-75 mph on the interstate. After exiting off the interstate and stopping at the stop sign, I pressed the gas pedal and it stalled in the middle of the intersection with oncoming traffic. The motor was still running but the car would not move for several seconds. There have been two other incidents, 8/9/13 and 10/10/13, when I was traveling on the interstate at highway speed and passing another vehicle and my Rogue stalls and would not accelerate and I had cars behind me and cars in the right lane. I put on my hazard lights and was eventually able to get over and had just enough momentum to get to the side of the road. I put the car in park and sat for 5-10 minutes. I then put the car in drive and it drove normal. People need to be made aware that these Nissan vehicles will stall without warning and it seems to occur most often when driving at highway speeds so passing vehicles on two way roads can be dangerous! I have been told by Nissan that it's the transmission and it is a known issue with Nissan.

- Midland, TX, USA

May 152013

Rogue

I had driven my 2009 Nissan Rogue as I was driving for about 1 hr @ 65mph and all of a sudden the speed decreased on its own.. I let go of the gas and then quickly put my foot on the pedal again but it would not speed up.. I had my foot completely on the gas pedal. But it would not go faster than 20mph. I was driving on the freeway there could have been an accident... with my two kids on board...

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 092013

Rogue 4-cyl

My car was in garage running in park. Stepped out of vehicle, was standing outside door. Car shot backward out of garage, onto driveway. Never saw anything like it. Make a sharp turn with back end coming out of the driveway and facing to the right of my garage. (my two legs run over by the vehicle as it turned around). Car proceeded to turn forward down hill over front of my yard and stopping in my neighbors empty lot next to their house. Coming to a stop after hitting a tree. After looking in vehicle after it stopped, car was in parked gear.

- Dickson City, PA, USA

Aug 132012

Rogue 4-cyl

When going over 60 miles an hour, usually about an hour into a long drive, the Nissan Rogue will not accelerate. The RPM indicator goes haywire and my foot is completely down on the pedal but there is no acceleration. This first happened in August 2012 when I was driving over a mountain to get to the desert so I thought the car was overheating. Since then this has been happening consistently whenever I drive for over an hour (which I often do for work). At times, the car will not move forward if it is at a stoplight even when my foot is completely on the floor. Then it revs up after a minute but not before everyone else starts honking. This is extremely dangerous when you are on the freeway and suddenly your car stops accelerating. All the cars behind you start passing you but it will only take one car not paying attention to cause a huge accident, injury or death and then Nissan will be in real trouble. I have found hundreds of incidences and complaints from other Nissan Rogue drivers over the past couple years with the exact same problem.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Dec 212012

Rogue

I bought this car from a Toyota dealership and a used car with 82K miles on it. Around christmas I was on my way from modesto, ca on the I-80 back to reno, nv. I had the cruise control set to 70 and while going uphill the cruise control shut off and I began loosing speed really fast. I put my foot on the accelerator but there was nothing. I had the pedal floored and yet I kept loosing speed. At first it happened only on hills, now it's happening on flat land. I've also noticed that going from a stop to go point my car almost stalls as if it were a manual, it's automatic. I've almost gotten into an accident a few times because of this issue. The Toyota dealership I bought it from says they, "can't replicate the problem, " so I'm driving around this car hoping for the best until it gets worse and actually causes and accident or until the check engine light comes on. I did research and the symptoms from other rouge owners similar to my symptoms, all ended up in new transmissions...

- Reno, NV, USA

Jun 062012

Rogue

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle decelerated without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- La Vernia , TX, USA

Jul 092012

Rogue

At several times in the past coming from out of a stop, the vehicle would not accelerate. The first time it happened I was able to push the pedal hard to get acceleration and managed to regain acceleration. On 7/9/12, while driving on the freeway at steady speeds, I began to slow down to slowing traffic, when traffic picked up I was not able to get acceleration out of the vehicle. I punched the pedal to the floorboard and got no acceleration whatsoever. The rpms would not increase the overdrive would not respond and was just coasting at 40 mph. This was such a risk as I had fast coming traffic and had to pull to the slow lane to not be a hazard in the middle of the freeway. The vehicle never regained acceleration and had to keep pedal pushed to continue moving. I proceeded to take the vehicle to the dealer, but the insisted that since they received no computer error codes or could not duplicate the problem, they could not do anything for me. I searched online and noticed it has been happening to lots of people and could be several possible issues. It seems most of the causes are a result of long distance driving which I do 4 times a week and somehow resets upon turning off and turning back on vehicle or vehicle cooling down. The dealer "could not" spare the time for someone to drive it for that long so they left it at that.. I feel this is a big safety hazard and hope that this issue can be dealt with the manufacturer as a recall.

- Bloomington, CA, USA