2.2

2010 Nissan Rogue drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Rogue:

2010 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 302015

Rogue

We purchased the car as a new car demo. It had about 5000 miles on it. The car ran pretty good for 60/70 thousand miles and then we started noticing that when we went on longer drives(highway), the car would go into a "powerless" state when you stopped or slowed down. We later became familiar with the term "limp" mode or "safe" mode. The transmission goes into these modes when it is overheating. I took it to the dealership when it first happened and they said there was nothing they could do because no computer codes had surfaced for the trouble. This visit was around 80K, well under our 125000 mile warranty. The most recent time was 2014 we went out of town again and the check engine light came on. Being about 400 miles from home, we stopped at a local auto parts store and had them check the code. They told me the clutch/torque converter was making a code pop up. We preceded to drive home and took it to the dealership the next day. At this point we had 119000 miles on it still under the warranty. Thecheck engine light went off before we could get there. The dealership once again said nothing was showing on the computer even though I told them exactly what code I had learned of before returning to the shop. They again claimed to not be able to work on the car without the code. I guess they aren't real mechanics! anyways, we now have 140000 miles on the car and the code is present again and all Nissan can say is it is out of warranty. They offered to give us "employee" pricing on a new car but completely refuse to help with the repair. Doesn't make us feel good about owning another Nissan.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Feb 012014

Rogue

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Rogue. While driving at highway speeds, the vehicle suddenly failed to accelerate past 65 mph and the rpms would not increase past 3,000. The failure was intermittent and occurred after driving for more than one hour. The contact also indicated that the failure was more severe while driving up an incline. In addition, the service engine light recently illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Crozet, VA, USA

Aug 252014

Rogue

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Rogue. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cvt (continuous variable transmission) needed to be repaired. As a result, the vehicle transmission was flushed however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Aug 022015

Rogue

2nd complaint of repeated issue, subsequent occurrence. 2010 Nissan Rogue lost power and decelerated from 70 mph to approximately 40 mph while traveling on highway, hazards applied however vehicles approaching had to change lanes. On this occurrence a vehicle check engine light appeared. Pulled off road and when accelerator was depressed engine revved to approximately 2500 RPM with no forward motion then lurched forward rapidly accelerating then lost power again before returning to normal operation. Note that Nissan dealership acknowledges that this is a known issue, instructed that the cvt transmission warranty has been extended to 120K miles and to bring to dealership. Nissan states this is the result of transmission overheating and causing the vehicle to enter safety (also known as limp) mode.

- Leander, TX, USA

Jul 262015

Rogue

Was driving highway speed for an hour when the vehicle stopped responding to acceleration. Got off the highway and allowed the car to rest. Upon another hour at highway speeds the car again did not respond to acceleration.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 212015

Rogue

Pulling away from multiple stop signs, the Rogue would not accelerate even with pedal pressed to floor. People were honking behind me and passing. Had this same issue with going through traffic circles to slow down and yield and then try to accelerate again. Rogue took several minutes to go up to 40mph. I finally had to pull over into parking lot. I turned car off and waited about 5 minutes to then try again. When I turned the Rogue on this time, it seemed to function normal. I was able to continue at normal speeds and acceleration the remainder of my trip. My husband and our mechanic were not able to replicate the problem. I have read that many people seem to have this same issue. Very dangerous since you expect car to move as you pull into traffic and it does not. There were no lights on dash at time of incident. I have noticed the vdc & slip light has come on several times over the past 2 weeks for no apparent reason. Including today about 3 hours before this acceleration problem. I had been driving to several places throughout afternoon with car shut off between. I would estimate I drove a total of 60 miles over a 5 hour period. Car started acting up during the last 30 minutes before my final destination. When this took place, it took me about 1 hour to go 17 miles. Normally it takes me just under 30 minutes.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Aug 092013

Rogue

My 2010 Nissan Rogue stopped accelerating properly on a highway. I could not properly merge into traffic. Very scary!!! I made it home and thought it was a fluke. It then began stalling periodically, and the acceleration issue continued. We needed a new transmission at 78K! flags forward 46K more miles on replaced transmission, ...the problem reappeared and was worse! Nissan won't replace this one and was very rude, unprofessional and won't semi the problem and serious safety issue. This was my third Nissan, but my other two were muranos and never had an issue. My experience here was so scary and so disappointing with Nissan dismissal of this serious issue that we will never buy another and will tell all our friends and family too. You should not buy from Nissan as they do not stand behind their products!

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 052015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Rogue. While driving 60 mph, the transmission failed without warning. The contact stated that the transmission failure caused the vehicle not to accelerate. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- N. Miami, FL, USA

May 252015

Rogue

After driving about an hour, the cvt no longer works and the car will not accelerate, even if you put the pedal to the floor. It will not go above 2,000 rpms and if you go up a hill you will lose accelerations. This happens frequently after an hour or more of driving. The only way to temporarily fix the issue is to turn the car off for a while. It has almost caused major accidents on the highway.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Aug 012014

Rogue

Vehicle was traveling 70 on the interstate on cruise control when the speed suddenly dropped 20 - 30 mph and the engine started racing forcing us to pull the vehicle off the road. The vehicle idled properly then drove properly the remainder of the trip. This scenario has happened several more times, all but one while on cruise control. I took the vehicle to the service department at a Nissan dealership. Mechanic diagnosed the problem as the issue in Nissan service bulletin ntb14-002A:::---- 2008-2012 Nissan Rogue; reduced performance due to cvt fluid temperature protection logic the maximum vehicle speed is, or was, reduced by the cvt fail-safe logic after continuous operation under the following conditions: 1)high RPM and/or high speed driving (RPM of 4000+ or speeds of 65 mph [104.6 km/H] for 1.0 ? 1.5 hrs. Or more) 2)driving in ambient temperature of 96 degrees or higher 3)climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles (9.6 km) or more 4)whine or rattle type noise occurring during reduced engine performance (vehicle speed decrease) ---- Nissan has a known and intentional issue in the transmission system while operating under some very normal conditions. Nissanusa Consumer Affairs initially told me that the warranty had been extended for this vehicle and the problem would be covered. They have since indicated that the repair for this issue (adding an external cooling mechanism to the transmission) is not covered by the extended the warranty... looking for some sanity here. Nissan needs to fix the transmission (design?) problem under their extended warranty....updated 09/11/15

- Belleville, IL, USA

May 162015

Rogue

While driving on the interstate at 75 mph on a hot day 90 degrees. I was using max A/C. car was fine and suddenly felt sluggish and wouldn't accelerate. I pulled off at next available exit, after a complete stop the car refused to move then suddenly accelerated slowly similar to when an abrupt brake is applies and car moves very slowly (extremely dangerous condition all the rouges have) I shut off the A/C and let car rest for 5 minutes then got back on the highway, although feeling sluggish I arrived at my destination. On my ride home several hours later I did not use A/C and outside temps had dropped to mid 70, the car appeared fine. I will note that this problem also occurred 2 years earlier in the summer of 2013 at 87,000 miles during another long highway trip driving in high temps. In this case I cancelled trip and brought car to the dealer after cool down period, the problem didn't present itself, no dash lights or codes same as previous. The dealer charged me $1800 to change dirty transmission fluid. Problem is back again at 112,000 miles. There is a serious problem with these cars that is "dangerous". had I needed to come to an abrupt stop on the highway I would not be able to move out of the way and as a separate issue when you abruptly brake the car can't get out of it's own way and has scared me several times.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Mar 172014

Rogue

Every time I come to a complete stop, or go onto a freeway, my car cannot accelerate at the proper speed when pushing down on the peddle. There is about a 5-10 second delay to get it to the correct speed. I've been honked at and I've been almost hit because of this. I have a 3 year old daughter and I'm scared that one of these days I'll get into an accident because of it. I feel unsafe and in danger because of this car. It's unfortunate because I always thought highly of Nissan.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 162015

Rogue

Car failed to accelerate while on the highway going 70mph. This is a very dangerous, precarious place for Nissan to put drivers as they attempt to accelerate on the highway. This transmission problem is in need of a recall before lives are lost.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 132015

Rogue

I bought this 2010 Nissan rougue 5 months back from carmax, lexington, ky. I travel frequently from lexington, ky to cary, nc and New York, NY every quarter. I used my son car Camry and rental cars( chevvy, Ford, Toyota and Nissan ultima), but never faced this problem. The problem is when once on highway I set the vehicle in cruise control for 72 mph, suddenly when the highway elevation starts to go up, the cruise control is dropped and the vehicle starts speed starts to slide up to 30...the elast it dropped is 29 mph, evwn while you are pressing accelerator ( infact it is floored ). then I stopped using cruise control, but for every elevation the problem persists, thias continues till I stopped getting high altitudes. Around lexington, ky where ever I go I hit mountains, so I started facing this problem, when ever I hit us 64 E, us 77N or S and us 75 N or S........yesterday my self, my wife and my daughter are coming home from New York to lexington, the problem started once it hits mountains and continues till weschester, ky whivh is 20 miles from lexington, ky. The drive of 12 hours, took absolutely 22 hrs with break for every 3 hrs ( break of 20 to 25 mts), other than breaks just imagine on highway the vehicle starts to drop the speed and what happens with vehicles behind you, even highly loaded trucks crossed us and drove comfortably.......it is a serious dangerous problem with Nissan rougue...to be rectified or fixing the problem. The same routes I drove in different vehicle as mentioned above even Nissan utima as rental car, no issues, but for this vehicle. Then online I found that mine is not the first or last vehicle, there are more Nissan Rogues like this. We need justice from the Nissan usa.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 122015

Rogue

I was on a road trip about 2 hours or so into a 7 hour drive and my vehicle would not accelerate up inclines. Absolutely no power!! the gas pedal was completely depressed to the floor. I went from 75mph to 45mph and was almost hit from the rear. This also happened on the return trip, but this time I knew enough to get in the slow lane when I approached an incline. Once I was on straight, flat parts of the interstate it took a little while before I was able to get back up to speed. I stopped for gas and tried to back up on a slight incline and I could shift into reverse but the vehicle would not move. A short time into the rest of the trip home my service engine soon light came on. Very dangerous. I do not feel safe at all in this vehicle.

- Monson, MA, USA

Apr 012015

Rogue 4-cyl

2010 Nissan Rogue. Consumer writes in regards to the wiring harness connector recall notice, driver seat slides back, engine service light and other vehicle issues. The consumer had difficulty getting the gear shift out of park and the vehicle had a jerking effect while driving. The consumer referenced recall # 15V032000.

- Corona, NY, USA

Apr 132015

Rogue

I was driving 80 mph with traffic on a heavily congested hwy - I-4 when the transmission stopped working. There had been a high pitched whine during the last hour of travel and the car just started decelerating. Air temperature outside was approx. 80 degrees. There was a smell possibly of leaking fluid. Took to dealer and there is a known transmission problem on Nissan vehicles with the cvt transmission causing them to overheat, etc. This should be a recall, not an extended warranty issue. This vehicle is 4 years old and should not have transmission failures. I was stuck on a highway in the middle of nowhere and it took 2 hours to get to a dealer which was one and a half hours away from home.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 082012

Rogue

Vehicle would suddenly and unexpectedly lose power, especially on inclines or in hot weather. While traveling up mountain road, vehicle suddenly lost power and I was nearly rear-ended as other vehicles coming up the road rounded the corner at a higher rate of speed. While leaving the palm springs area, vehicle suddenly lost power while driving in heat exceeding 95 degrees. After exiting freeway, vehicle would not accelerate and cars exiting the freeway at higher rates of speed had to swerve to avoid my vehicle. Nissan has replaced the transmission on three occasions and each time the problem has recurred.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Rogue 4-cyl

Driving at highway speed, the vehicle would refuse to accelerate to pass a vehicle. Happened multiple times on a 1 hour road trip, causing near fatality as car would not accelerate up a hill and when in the course of passing a disabledvehicle, the car would not speed up enough to keep up with traffic speed in adjacent lane, causing driver behind vehicle to slam on brakes to avoid collision. The vehicle refused to accelerate the remainder of the trip (1 hour more) and engine light illuminated.

- Apo, AE, USA

Sep 122014

Rogue 4-cyl

Driving at interstate highway speeds, the vehicle would immediately loose power. Speed would drop from 70 mph to 45-50 mph very quickly. It seemed like within 100-200 yards. This occurred on flat ground after driving several hours or sooner when going through hilly terrain, such as the appalachian mountains. Once the event occurred, it would reoccur. For example it would slow quickly going up a hill, then going down the hill you could get back up to speed. Once you started up the next hill, you would loose speed very quickly again. On flat ground after the first occurrence, anytime you accelerated - such as during passing, it would loose speed. To temporarily "reset" the car, we would stop for 10-15 min. This would allow the car to be driven for about 1 hour before it would reoccur. Two things happen as a result of this, one when we were passing a truck who was slowed by a hill, we partially got around the truck, then immediately lost speed. Cars following us would really need to be paying attention. On flat ground you would just loose speed immediately and cars would quickly catch up. Second, stopping frequently causes trips to take a lot more time. Checking the internet resulted in Nissan's knowledge of this problem which caused them to increase the warranty. They need to fix it.

- Greenwood, AR, USA