2010 Nissan Rogue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Rogue:

2010 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 092013

The first incident happened last summer. While going up a hill at 75mph (speed limit in that state), the cruise control cut off, and vehicle lost power, and RPM's would not exceed 2500 RPM and would not go over 60mph, which every time I hit a hill, would decrease to 40mph. This happened 3 times in the next two hours, where RPM's would not exceed 2500 RPM, which is very dangerous when semi-trucks are behind you. A search online stated this was the transmission going into fail-safe mode, although the dealership stated no, because a code would come back. For almost a year, I would not take my car out of town for work, for fear this would happen again. Decided to take it on a long road trip this August, and again, the same incident occurred. This time, the only way to get RPM's and mph's back, was to pull over and let the car sit for 20 minutes or so. It would then drive normal for anywhere from 30 min-1 hour, before loosing power again. Took it into dealership upon arriving home, and this time, there is a bulletin for the transmission fluid overheating, and it needs a cooler, to the tune of $1,400 and is 2 months backordered. I was told this problem would only occur on long road trips, and I would be fine taking it on a 5 hr trip that weekend. Come 3 days later, 45 minutes into the trip, the cruise control cut off, began blinking, check engine light came on, and RPM's decreased to btwn 2000-2500. Pulled over to let it cool, and then it would not accelerate over 40mph on the highway. Decided to turn back around, and 3 times on the way home (appx. Every 15 minutes), I lost all power. The car was still running, but the RPM's would not go over 0, and the car would not move. Had to let it sit for 15-20 minutes each time, and then was able to drive 15 min, before loosing all power again. Took it into auto shop, and code reads, "P1778", which is "step-motor malfunction".

- Madison, WI, USA

May 302014

Rogue 4-cyl

I purchased a car from gwinnett place Nissan in November 2013. In may of 2014 while driving my children to disney the car started to decrease in speed. I was driving at 75 mph and without warning the car started decreasing in speed. My car went from 75 to 40 in a matter of minutes. Although I had the gas pedal all the way to the floor, it wouldn't pick up any speed. Thank god there wasn't any accident. I've spoken to Nissan about this many times and no one seems to be handling this problem. What will it take for Nissan to recognize and fix this issue. A fatal accident?

- Buford, GA, USA

Aug 182014

After driving 45 minutes on the interstate highway, I exited the highway and pulled into a state highway to continue my trip. After proceeding from the stop sign at the off ramp, I was nearly in an accident because the vehicle failed to accelerate properly. I placed the acceleration pedal to the floor and the vehicle would not go any faster to clear the intersection. Oncoming traffic had to slam on their brakes I. order to avoid a collision. It is not safe to have a vehicle doing that. This has happened several other times.

- Guthrie , OK, USA

May 282014

Rogue 4-cyl

I started my Rogue and left a driveway as I approached a stop sign about 2 miles ahead the car stalled. I was still in gear, the engine was off, and the check engine light was on. After stopping I was able to restart the car after a few tries. Then, for the next 2-4 miles it revved really high and seem to be in a recover mode and would not allow me to go over 40 mph. The service center can't replicate and claims that the oil was overfilled. There were some codes but they didn't feel those applies to the incident therefore this issue isn't warranted. This is a major safety concern for myself, my family, and other drivers on the road that Nissan refused to acknowledge or remedy. The fuel pump was replaced.

- Eastman, WI, USA

Dec 012010

Driving on interstate 85 from greensboro nc to thomasville nc - my car had no acceleration power when trying to change lanes. This had been an increasing problem and I brought the car into the Nissan dealership on 12/1/10 and they replaced the cvt. Same problems occurred, especially when I drove my car on 3 hour trips or longer (example: On a trip from greensboro nc to bristol tn - traveling up/down the mountain on 77 & 81 - no acceleration). Transmission was replaced again by crown Nissan of greensboro (under warranty) on 5/17/2012 and 3/21/2014. I do not feel safe in my car!

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 012013

After driving vehicle for about an hour, car would not accelerate. Gas pedal would be pushed all the way to the floor and RPM's would not exceed 3000rpm. When foot was taken off of the accelerator and pushed back to floor board, RPM's would increase to 3000 and then decrease back down to 2500 RPM. Vehicle would start to decrease in speed even though gas pedal was pressed all the way down.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jun 242013

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving uphill at 70 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 40 mph without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The current mileage was 52,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Aug 092013

Rogue 4-cyl

Driving on highway and heard a grinding noise on the car. I also noticed car would not drive at optimal speed when gas pedal pressed to keep up with traffic. It felt sluggish and as it was losing power. I turned off the air conditioning system and the car started condensating through the events. None of my previous car have done that before. After about an hour drive the cars hood was extremely hot you could barely touch it. I felt scared for my family as this car does not feel safe at all. Dealer is not taking it back and I've now had this troubled car 20 days but they won't admit it's defective. They said they can change the transmission but only because its under warranty. Nissan needs to recall all cvt cars.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jun 062013

Rogue 4-cyl

I took a trip to Chicago going through the mountains in Tennessee. As I was going up the mountain my 2010 Nissan Rogue begin to slow down, disengage from my cruise control no matter how hard I press the petal my car would not go any faster. This occurs through out the trip to Chicago and later to North Carolina. Before taking the trips I had my ctv light come on and the car would almost cut off or stall when I came to a stop. I took that in to my Nissan person who fix that problem but could not fix my new problem but referred me to my dealer. He stated that Nissan was having problems with the cvt transmission and had extended the warranty up to $120,000. I have taken the car in to the dealers but they would only drive it around the block, no light would come, no code to fix. Please refer to the information provided by concerning the cvt transmission problems with the Nissan 2010 rouge. There are two service bulletin that show this problem only occurs on long distance travel. Unfortunately, Nissan recommend that I continue to drive the car putting my life and family at danger until the problem occurs, only if there is a light come on then bring it in to them to fix. This is a huge safety issue, they do not want to fix the problem because the problem is the cvt new transmission. I am suppose to continue to drive and make my monthly payment even though there is a serious defect with this car. I want Nissan to purchase back this car at fair market value and I would like to see my government recall these cars before someone dies.

- Cummings , GA, USA

Jul 212013

Rogue 4-cyl

Very little acceleration from pulling off from a stop, will not pull off from an incline in drive, overdrive or low gear.

- Danville, VA, USA

Jun 272013

Rogue 4-cyl

I have had to replace the stop light switch in the computerized engine of my Rogue. The car would not accelerate in a normal time frame from 0-15 miles per hour, 6-7 seconds to respond. It would not maintain speeds over 60 miles an hour, slowing down without any control over it. It would not respond properly when I pushed the accelerator. This was very dangerous as I impeded traffic and could not function as needed in high traffic and highway settings. As I research, I see this has been a common complaint for several years.

- Lawrence, KS, USA