2011 Nissan Rogue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Nissan Rogue:

2011 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 022013

Car will stop accelerating after driving for 45-60 minutes. Loud whining noises constantly. Nissan has replaced the alternator and the serpentine belt and it still happens. I have taken the car back more than 8 times and they will not fix it!! please help! I've almost been hit more than 5 times with my two children in the car because of these issues.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Sep 112016

Since purchasing my 201 Rogue in 2012, with 4,000 miles on it, whenever driving for more than 35-40 minutes, have total loss of acceleration. Happens on highway, durning driving around town and from a complete stop. Occurs no matter the time of year or the weather conditions. Researched and found on line this happens to multitudes of owners of Nissan 4cyl vehicles with cvt. No fix has been noted, just waiting for a serious accident or death, before Nissan or government does anything. Can not afford to just go buy another vehicle. Will not ever buy another Nissan 4cyl with the cvt. Disappointed, concerned and hoping I am not the fatality,

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Aug 142016

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times and failed to accelerate upon coming to a stop. The vehicle was to be inspected by a dealer and a mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Aug 142016

While driving at 65 mph on the New Jersey turnpike, the car suddenly dropped in acceleration to 40mph. Pressing on the gas caused the RPM to rev, however no change in speed occurred. Upon inquiring about this issue, I came to find out that this is a common problem with Nissan's cvt components that the company is aware of, however no recall has been issued. Extreme weather conditions, such as heat waves, using the car for a prolonged period of time, and traveling uphill have been documented to trigger the loss of acceleration. This common flaw found with Nissan cars is highly dangerous and will inevitably result in the loss of life.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jul 292016

When driving on the highway with cruise on all of the sudden the cruise cuts off and the car loses acceleration. I preszed the gass pedal and rpms went up but vehicle still did not accelerate. I was unable to get the vehicle to go over 40 mph. I was traveling with my four children and very lucky that there was T anyone behind me so inwas able to pull over to the shoulder.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jun 122016

At 67,000 both cv boots are blown, had to replace, now the cvt issue with the transmission, no acceleration, transmission gears reverse and drive, I want a refund. I purchased this used car 1 year and 3 months ago. Unsafe I have my children in the car. Vehicle can be at 60 mph, and then drop to nothing with no warning. I want a full refund of the purchase price I paid for it I am terrified to keep driving

- Seward, NE, USA

Apr 082016

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Rogue. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly experienced unintended acceleration. The driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The passenger side air bag did not deploy. The front passenger sustained body pain and the driver sustained right knee damage. Medical attention was not required. A police report was not filed. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Barre, MA, USA

Nov 162015

Whenever I am driving on the highway, and my vehicle is on cruise; the cruise mechanism drops off and the speed starts to decline. Yesterday, the vehicle went all the way down to zero and the vehicle just coasted along the side of the highway. Once the battery was disconnected and reconnected; the vehicle will run again, but the reset only lasts for about a day or so. This has been happening to my vehicle when travel involves long distances since 2013 now. Yesterday, was the first day the speed went all the way down and the vehicle began coasting along the highway.

- Portland, TX, USA

Aug 072015

The transmission on this car overheats after driving (slightly) uphill for over 5 miles or anytime it's driven over an hour. This causes the car to lose acceleration. Most recently, it overheated so badly that I could push the accelerator all the way to the floor and it didn't move at all. I've since learned that this is a widespread problem that Nissan is aware of, but is not offering to fix the problem or state a recall. They will install a transmission cooling kit for $850 at the consumer's expense. The expense aside, consumers need to be made aware of this extremely dangerous defect as loss of acceleration at high speeds can cause deadly accidents. Nissan needs to be accountable for this.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jun 282015

I was driving from denver to raton, nm. On I-25 outside pueblo, I was going about 80 miles an hour up a hill. The car would not accelerate and the speed quickly dropped to 45 mph. I had the gas pedal to the floor, and the car would not accelerate. I had to put my emergency lights on, so other drivers would know I was having car trouble. This happened on four or more inclines including raton pass where I couldn't get the car over 25 mph until I was going downhill. On the return drive, it didn't happen. On my drive to breckenridge a few days ago, it happened again. Not being able to accelerate and quickly losing speed on the freeway is an accident waiting to happen. I will get a different car as soon as possible. Once I started researching online, I saw several other Rogue owners' comments about this known but ignored issue.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jul 232015

While driving on a long road trip, two hours into the ride my 2011 Nissan Rogue decelerated and would not go above 60 mph. I was going about 75 mph on the highway and it decelerated, while I was flooring the gas to 60mph. The gas peddle was completely floored and the car would not accelerate and sounded like it was fighting to stay at 60 mph. The car started vibrating was loud sounding like it had no power. Then when I pulled off the highway and came to a stop the car was very delayed to accelerate at all, as if it had no power. I refueled at a little over a half tank and for the first time the gas gauge did not register the correct miles or move the dial. Once I began driving again, after 20 minutes the car again slowed and would not go above 60mph. Once restarting the engine the gas gauge did read accurately. This occurred once before when the Rogue had about 70K miles on it and this last incident the car has 96K miles. On the first occasion the rouge would not go above 50mph. I bought the Rogue brand and have kept up with the regular maintenance. This never happened while living in NY and seemed to start when driving over an hour or so on the highway, in the Florida heat. I did not take it to get checked out after reading various forums that it is a known issue Nissan will not fix.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 042015

Was driving at high speed on the interstate with cruise engaged. Cruise would abruptly disengage causing the speed to fall rapidly, and accelerator would cease to work with gas pedal pushed to the floor. Would also decrease speed when climbing hills. Near collision took place and this is my family car in which I always have two young children with me. This happened on more then one occasion and would result in my having to pull off to the side of the road to turn the car off and reset the vehicle. This problem is going to get someone hurt or killed. Problem persisted and left me stranded in an intersection as well. Dealer says it's the trans cooler failing to keep the transmission from overheating and needs to be replaced. Repair will cost between $1100 and $1300. Called Consumer Affairs at Nissan and they have decided it's normal wear and tear on the vehicle that has caused this. This vehicle was purchased brand new four years ago and only has 72,000 miles. That response is unacceptable. Had I know the tranny would fail within that time I never would have purchased this vehicle. My recommendation, do not buy a Nissan. They do not stand behind their product. All models of Rogue before this had their cvt warranties doubled to 120,000 miles because of this problem so why not the 2011? it's the same exact problem! extremely unhappy and will be fighting this. I will be contacting the BBB and my lawyer. If you're having this problem then file a complaint. These vehicles should be recalled. I will never buy another Nissan again, and will boycott them till the end of time. Poor vehicle, poor service, poor response to consumer's. steer clear if you're smart!

- Springville, AL, USA

Aug 292014

Twice now, last August 2014 and June 2015, traveling on highway with cruise control on around 70 mph, vehicle decelerates on its own. Gas pedal to the floor, but still losing speed. Had to get to next exit and turn vehicle off for few minutes before proceeding. Second time it happened, took to Nissan dealer. Could not replicate problem but recommended a transmission cooling unit be installed at cost of about $1300, with no guarantee this will fix problem. Mileage first time it happened was 58,600. Second time around 74,000 miles. Nissan cvt warranty extension does not include 2011 models. Ends with 2010 vehicles, although this vehicle is experiencing same problem as previous years models.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Dec 182013

Rogue 4-cyl

Traveling on interstate from columbia, SC to clinton, SC 2011 Nissan Rogue began loosing power and would not maintain highway speed when climbing hills. With accelerator pushed to floor vehicle speed dropped from 70 down to 50-55 on inclines. Deceleration continued as long as vehicle was on incline. Speed increased when vehicle crested hill. Pulled over, checked transmission fluid and allowed vehicle to cool. Once vehicle cooled problem corrected and we were able to return to columbia. Took vehicle to dick smith Nissan in lexington SC for repair. Dealer was unable to recreate problem and indicated no codes indicated. Problem recurred in May 2014 when returning to lexington, SC from charleston. After approximately 45 minutes at highway speed (70-75 mph) problem re-occurred. Same symptoms - loss of acceleration on inclines - caused vehicle to drop from traffic and unable to maintain safe speed. Pulled over at rest area - checked vehicle. Again reported problem to dealer but unable to recreate problem. October 2014 - problem recurred traveling from lexington to atlanta. Same symptoms loss of power and speed on uphill grade - unable to maintain highway speed. Exited highway at augusta after 1 hour on interstate. When tried to turn left from stop off of exit ramp -pushed accelerator - vehicle started forward and then lost power in intersection blocking two lanes of cross traffic. Vehicle crept through intersection very lucky we were not struck by cross traffic. Plan to return vehicle to dealer again.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jun 272014

Rogue 6-cyl

I was traveling down I-95 with the flow of traffic at a speed of 75 -78 mph from Maryland to Georgia, somewhere along North Carolina my engine started to loose acceleration. It did not die out. I had to pull over because it would not go over 60 mph with the gas peddle press all the way down. Once I turn the rouge off and waited about 5 minutes I heard a click and started it vehicle up and drove with no problems until I was about a 100 miles from Georgia and had to do it all over again. There was no codes lights and I still put a reader on it and nothing showed up. It has been puzzling if you accelerate for to long and the vehicle slows down in traffic.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jun 142013

Rogue 4-cyl

Coming home from long (06/2013) trip; high volume traffic highway car started vibrating & would not accelerate with no warning lights. It would not pick up speed and it slowed down, stalling drastically & pulled aside to turned car off and let the car cool but the car would not turn back on. The windows and radio would work but the engine would stall and not turn on. Waited 20 min the car turned on again. Reported the problem to Nissan service & they stated the brake switch need replacement; was replaced. On (11/13) & coming home the issued started again. The engine vibrated, stalled, & not accelerate. Reported to Nissan service and they found no issues. Third, time 07/2014 same issue service looked at the car; found a service bulletin stating 08-12 Rogues have cvt failure when driving 65 mph and higher, temp of 96 degree or higher; climbing steep or extended hills for 6 or more miles, & whine or rattle noise reducing engine performance. Told the part would be ordered; after 2 weeks service stated part is back order and not sure when will be in. I reported to Corp & they stated the part is not available due to back order til the end of September 2014. Told Nissan I fear for my life & family when taking long drives & been renting car; if they would reimburse or provide another vehicle while the part comes in they stated no they do not reimburse or provide rental. How can Nissan know about this issue and risk the lives of family. Are they waiting for something massive and dangerous to happen before they take action! I am paying for a unsafe care while Nissan is aware of the problem & is not taking proper action.we have daily responsibility to do & driving unsafe car is scary! Nissan fast to call of payments a miss one but they are not fast to fix this dangerous issues! people who have Rogues needs to be aware of this problem & Nissan needs to recall this part.

- West Lawn, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Rogue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 2 mph and making a left turn while pulling into a parking space, the vehicle suddenly experienced an unintended acceleration and went over a curb before crashing into a tree. The contact indicated that during the incident the air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who had not diagnosed the cause of the failure. The contact was not injured. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000. Updated 11/25/14 updated 8/13/2015

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 112012

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Rogue. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph up an incline, the vehicle decelerated to very low speeds. Also, the contact mentioned that she had to push the pedal all the way down to the floor but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they could not duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem the approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jun 242014

Rogue 4-cyl

I had been driving approximately an hour in 90 degree weather on the interstate going 65 mph when my Nissan Rogue lost the ability to accelerate. With the acceleration pedal fully depressed, the car would not accelerate and eventually stopped altogether, causing me to attempt maneuvering around cars going over 70 mph to get to the side of the road. I was almost struck twice. After 20 minutes I was able to start the car again and drive at 40mph to the dealership. I was told today it was an issue with the automatic transmission control module and it would need to be replaced costing me $1000. Previous models of the Rogue through 2010 had an extended warranty offered for this issue through 120,000 but mine is a 2011 and I was told I have to pay for it myself. I have contacted 1-800-nissan1 and filed a complaint. This is incredibly frustrating and dangerous.

- Fallston, MD, USA

May 132014

Half way into parking spot with foot on brake pad the car suddenly accelerated at a high rate and smashed into a light pole denting the front (passenger side) end as well as both front sides. Hard enough to make it difficult to open both front doors. Total travel length approximate 5 -6 feet. If needed I will submit photos of damage & injury I had my entire low abdomen completely black and blue, swollen as well as my right knee & breast bruised. The damage was deemed by geico inspectors as a total loss. I contacted Nissan verbal and writing including pictures of the car and my injuries. Provided all the information requested by Nissan rep. And never heard from Nissan than again. Not even a sorry!!

- Great Neck, NY, USA