2014 Nissan Rogue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Rogue:

2014 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments

Oct 072016

Rogue

2014 Nissan Rogue sv 61,868 miles with recurring acceleration issues. Started about one year ago wife called and said that vehicle was making loud revving sound but not moving or barely moving while stepping on gas. She stated car was stalling out at intersection or while in moving traffic. Not turning off but not moving while stepping on gas. She park car at work and drove home with no problem. Several months ago same thing no or poor acceleration while stepping on gas while at intersections or in moving traffic. I picked it up from work and drive home with no problem. This has occurred on several addition days but not has bad. Vehicle shakes and makes revving noises while driving. Fast forward to today wife calls says she is stuck on highway. Stated that vehicle had no acceleration and she was barley able to get it into emergency lane before it wouldn't move at all. Chassis control system error message appeared on dash display along with other lights like engine light. Vehicle was towed to Nissan dealer for inspection. Beginning to think I purchased a piece of junk. After reading several post regarding similar issue and no resolve from Nissan I am a little worried. Not only is this a dangerous safety issue but will probably be a huge expense to correct if Nissan does not help out. Vehicle is just above 60,000 powertrain warranty. Luckily I have geico mechanical breakdown insurance. Will just wait and see what happens.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Jul 032016

Rogue

I have only had the rouge select for barely two years. Four times I have had a power loss as I am driving up canyons and any steep terrain. If for any reason you slow down and re-accelerate the car does not pick up speed. There are times when we are just accelerating and loose power. The vehicle has had a loss of power between 55 and 70 miles an hour, highway speeds are 50-70+. this has happened to us a few times putting my family and I, in danger of being rear ended at highway speeds. The loss of power happening in the vehicle, four times in the last week as we traveled from Utah up parleys canyon, we had a loss of speed twice in this canyon. Once at half-way in heavy traffic and again near the crest of the mountain in very heavy traffic almost being rear-ended by a semi. Again the very same day two more times as we passed through heavy traffic in Wyoming and again as we passed back through Utah in the flaming gorge area. All areas with steep terrain. This is extremely unsafe and as I read all these complaints this is a serious matter. For a new vehicle with barely 30,000 miles on it, this should not be happening and is a serious defect. This is ridiculous for a brand new vehicle to have this happening. I just hope it doesn't take a loss of life before this is recalled and fixed for good.

- Kearns, UT, USA

Nov 012014

Rogue

Very sluggish when accelerating. Very dangerous when merging into traffic on highways and parkways

- Levittown, NY, USA

Sep 022015

Rogue

The issue presents itself when the temperature is above 90 degrees and I have been driving the car for at least 20-30 minutes. When the car is at a complete stop and you transition from the brake to the gas, the car does not immediately respond. It is as if you are not pressing the gas pedal at all. You can press it almost all the way to the floor before the car will respond. When it starts to occur, it is consistent with occurring every time the car comes to a stop. There does not appear to be any other issues while the car is in motion. This is extremely dangerous when you are making a left or right turn or accelerating from a stop light. I have almost been rear ended several times because the light has turned green and my car will not immediately accelerate. I took the car to the dealer on 9/15, about 2 weeks after this started. I was informed that this might be due to the fuel pump recall. They replaced the fuel pump and drove the car without experiencing any issues. As I was driving home from the dealer that afternoon, the issue presented itself again. I called the dealer and was told to bring the car back the following morning. They kept my car for 3 days. They were able to replicate the issue at the dealer while connected to a computer. They spoke to Nissan engineering and sent them the files. Nissan engineering didn't know the cause and said to "drive it until it gets worse". my car was almost at the end of the 36,000 mile warranty. They replaced a brake sensor to see if that worked. I picked up the car and brought it back to the dealer the following week when the issue presented itself again. They recorded more data to send to Nissan. Again, they requested more data from me yesterday. While in the car with the technician recording the issue, my car would no longer accelerate over 20 mph while revving the engine. This car is unsafe to drive.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Rogue

When driving in exceedingly warm conditions, heavy traffic (such as stop and go) or constant uphill terrain, quick acceleration from full stop becomes difficult. Engine becomes loud, rpms rise to between 4000-6000 but vehicle speed does not exceed 40mph. Engine must be turned off for a few minutes for normal drive to resume.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Jun 152015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Rogue. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration to 80 mph without warning. As a result, the contact's vehicle rear ended another vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained minor injuries and required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 192015

Rogue

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Rogue. While driving approximately 10 mph in the driveway, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into the contact's residence. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver was injured and received medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 3,400.

- Mountain City, UT, USA

Jul 312014

Rogue

Vehicle was being parked. As driver applied brakes, vehicle accelerated forward, jumping sidewalk curb and collided with tree at approximately 10mph. Engine continued to run, driver managed to gear to reverse and backed vehicle away from tree, off the sidewalk, back over the curb, and into parking slip. The manual supplied with the vehicle claims that it is equipped with event data recorder capable of storing information prior to and during an accident. Dealership claims the vehicle is not.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jun 212014

Rogue

I drove 10 miles and shut the car off for an hour then got back in and entered the freeway to go home. I drove a couple miles and lost acceleration. At 70 miles an hour on the freeway my car was actively decelerating while I was pushing the gas pedal. I let off not knowing what was happening and the car seemed to accelerate some or coasted more freely. I stepped on the gas and the car slowed down again. I repeated this a couple times before deciding I had to put hazards on and pull over. I am so grateful I didn't get rear ended as I had slowed down rapidly with out any break lights to warn others. When I pulled over and put it in park the check engine light (malfunction light) and also the power steering light came on. It was towed and held overnight until it could be towed to the dealership (apparently nothing can be dropped off when they are closed).

- Hugo, MN, USA

Jan 122014

Rogue 4-cyl

On Sunday January 11th, 2014, my family and I were on our way home. After stopping at a service station my husband pulled onto the highway and was accelerating to the appropriate speed and the car just got stuck at 6500 RPM's and 60 mph. It stayed that way for about 5 miles, we could slow down but the RPM's were still stuck at 6500 and the engine was making a horrible sound, the car would not accelerate and several times we had to ride the shoulder of the road. When we finally reached the road we live off of my husband was able to slow down and turn while turning the awful noise got a little lower but a new noise was heard, a whining sound. After turning, the car lost all gas, nothing happened when the accelerator was pushed and then finally it started to go again. We arrived at our home my husband opened the hood and told me to press the accelerator a little and then he saw small puffs of smoke. I smelled something like burning rubber while sitting in the drivers seat and my husband said he smelled something sweet under the hood. This car was bought brand new on January 4th, 2014, it had 25 miles when purchased. The mileage on January 11th was around 500. This is a dangerous vehicle, I am waiting on the dealership to call and let me know what they find.

- Molino, FL, USA