2001 Nissan Sentra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Sentra:

2001 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Jun 012015

While driving down the road at 40 plus miles an hour the catalytic converter clogged and caught fire causing a misfire in cylinder one and ruining the ignition coil for that cylinder. I contacted Nissan after seeing online that the exact same part has malfunctioned on several other cars of the exact same year make and model. I was instructed to take it to a Nissan dealership and have them diagnose the problem for a $89 fee. Even if I had the 89 dollars to pay to have it diagnosed it would not have paid it. I did not use faulty material in the manufacture of the vehicle and feel that any diagnostic fee should have been absorbed by Nissan North America since they voluntarily recalled the part. It could have burst into flames and ignited the unused fuel in cylinder one killing me and my children. Upon further investigation into my vehicle it had already had the part replaced once and it started to fail again after I was the unlucky person to buy it. After the purchase of this vehicle, I have replaced the head due to a sand like material that eats away the head gasket. This material is a product of the catalytic converter crumbling and being sucked into the engines cylinders. I have replaced countless sensors and even the cars computer to try to solve the issue. After fixing the issue myself and removing the suspect part I have not had any issues with the vehicle. I am very displeased with the way Nissan has chosen to deal with the issues that consumers of their product have. It was explained to me that since the dealerships are privately owned they can charge for diagnosis even if it is to verify if the previously recalled part is eligible for the recall. Had it not been eligible it would be responsible for any repair attempts made by Nissan. So I fixed it myself and vowed never to buy another Nissan vehicle.

- Winchester , TN, USA

Dec 042009

On 12/4/09 my car died leaving me stranded. I had it towed to brads auto close to my house for $130. They stated the diagnostic states"crank shaft position sensor" code. The part was put in the vehicle but did not solve the problem, brad's felt part was defective. No other crank sensor was available in city. I had to wait for it to be shipped on Tuesday from the factory. It arrived & was put in and same thing happen. It did not fix the problem. Brad's told me that with the crank sensor that was already in the car it starts up but dies, when the new sensors is added it won't start at all. Brad's researched & found this is a recall on my vehicle. Brad's called Nissan service. A person stated that cam sensor & crank sensor are interchangeable. According to brad's research all data shows they are different. Brad's mention the recall. The service person denied a recall on this vehicle. Brad's stated he had the recall in his hand with the recall number showing it matches my VIN. Brad's contacted me and I called the Nissan service dept. That said all I could do is tow it to them at my expense. My dad reminded that I had a similar incident back in March 2008. On my paperwork. It states the same exact symptoms. It states Nissan replaced the crank shaft sensor and it did not fix the problem then they replaced the ECM. Both of these items are discussed on the invoice as a recall item. In that incident's, it was a Saturday and no service places were open. I found one & towed it there. When he put it on the diagnostic it stated "crank shaft sensor." He told me it would be cheaper to have Nissan fix it. I paid $71 to have it towed from my house to that shop owner & then another $88 to tow it to Nissan. The new incident is obviously related to the previous. Nissan headquarters stated they would not pay for any tows & they would not absorb charges due to being out of warranty. Nissan's solution is ineffective, & is not part of a warranty. A recall should not cost me anything.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 152002

My engine failed again while driving 70 mphs on the freeway, the very day after the car had been repaired for yet another defect sensor. It was a miracle I did not crash and kill anyone including myself. Each and every time I have taken the car in, I have requested it be checked for a short in the wiring. Each time I was told no. I later learned thar meant if it didn't show up on the computer, then they wouldn't look for it specifically. Following the latest hazard, I got in Nissan's face. Nissan found a defect oxygen sensor this time. Upon retesting the vehicle, the emc (the brain of the vehicle) was found to be defective. I was also told had I driven the car any longer, the air conditioning unit would have blown too. Well, that explains all the lousy gas mileage this past year. So, here it is a week later and my vehicle remains in the shop with a back ordered emc with no available stock date in sight. I am renting a vehicle and am receiving very little assistance from Nissan as to getting a rental vehicle in the meantime. I am quite concerned I have purchased a brand new spanking yellow lemon. I am quite concerned this vehicle, even with a new emc, will produce other defective sensors once the warranty has expired due to wear and tear from the old one. There are 45 sensors in the vehicle and only 5-10 have blown so far. I am quite certain others are close to failure too. I am just as concerned when both the Nissan representative and the service manager told me this part has been on back order for a very long time as so many vehicles have endured this problme, that the vehicle has not yet been recalled.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA