2002 Nissan Sentra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Sentra:

2002 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Apr 112007

Sentra 4-cyl

Mechanic reported dipstick missing in 2002 Nissan Sentra. Purchased a new dipstick; when I tried to insert it, I met resistance. Called dealer --still waiting for call back. Looked on internet --hundreds (at least) of consumers describe the same problem. Defective dipsticks break and lead to repairs of $150 - $400 each incident to remove metal stick from engine. Could permanently damage engine. Manufacturer claims no knowledge of problem, though hundreds of consumers on one website have reported their occurrences.

- Aldan, PA, USA

Jun 212006

Sentra

Dip stick of a 2002 Nissan Sentra gxe has snapped off at the plastic handle and is now lodged in my oil tank. From what I have researched, this is a pretty common occurrence, resulting in high dealership charges and severe engine problems, including engine failure. Great work Nissan!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 062005

Sentra 4-cyl

I got my oil changed by Firestone on 8/6/05 and they told me after my vehicle was done that the dipstick was broken upon arrival of the vehicle. They told me it would cost 150 dollars to replace this. I told them that I got my oil changed in philadelphia prior to me moving down to Texas at a jiffy lube. They advised me to call them and talk to them. When I called jiffy lube they told me that this was a known problem with Nissan cars and that they often have to replace this on many vehicles. He suggested that I call a jiffy lube down in Texas to see if they can replace this at 4 dollars cost as that is how much the part is. He told me that he wouldn't spend 150 dollars to do this. I called a jiffy lube in Texas and they said they don't order those parts and that I need to call the dealer. I called the Nissan dealer and told me that this isn't an issue with Nissan cars and he would need to look at it before telling me how much it would cost to get it fixed. After further research on the internet I see that I am not alone and that there are many people who have a similar issue. I am going to get several opinions on how much this will cost and what needs to be done before giving anyone my money. I think that Nissan should reimburse people for the amount it cost to fix this if they won't do a recall.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 232005

Sentra

The oil level gauge (dipstick) of 2002 Nissan Sentra is very easy to break. My dipstick's a rubber/plastic handle was broken during oil change, and the blade was stuck in the tube and very difficult to get it out. A dealership asked $100 to just pull the broken blade out. I believe this is a direct result of poor design, and I have also seen numerous similar failures on Nissan Sentra. The manufacturer needs to recall this part immediately.

- Houston, TX, USA