2003 Nissan Sentra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Sentra:

2003 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Apr 032014

Sentra 4-cyl

We bought this low mileage car from a family member but after buying this car it started getting plagued with the car suddenly and mysteriously shutting off in the middle of driving. Engine died unannounced car cuts off and the power steering and power brakes stop working. It would happen up to 5 to 7 times a week intermittently. We had taken it Nissan two different times in April to complain about the situation they were unable to diagnose or solve the problem for us or reproduce the problem during test drives. In August took this car back in after it wouldn't run at all and they finally told me it was a camshaft positioning sensor. After replacing this part it runs fine now. After looking online on the NHTSA website it seems this part is part of a recall for this make and model year however I was told it didn't apply to my VIN. I spoke to Nissan headquarters and they again told me they wouldn't cover this as it is not part of a recall. This part looks like it is problematic in this model year and make and also for other cars across the Nissan lineup. I explained that this was a serious problem and it resulted in some significant safety issues. Each time I was able to safely pull off the side of the road but if it stalled and I wasn't able to get off the highway, or it stalled at an intersection or pulling into traffic say the consequences could have been deadly. I was also lucky that the steering wheel didn't lock up turning the wheel with the car off. Our symptoms with this car were classic. I was very surprised that they could not diagnose this problem in April as the symptoms match they have for known recalls on this and other cars. I would like it covered but more importantly I think the recall should be extended to other vehicles and vins to save lives.

- Concord, NC, USA