2007 Nissan Sentra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Sentra:

2007 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 032016

Sentra

While going on up and down steep hills in a city all of a sudden the engine stalls and the breaks stop working. This happened to me several times and to my luck as there was no traffic I got escaped without any accidents. Both the times I stopped the vehicle by shifting it to the parking mode. Some times the steering also automatically shifts to manual mode and the steering becomes tight. So the issues are with both the brakes and steering and this could be a computer/communication glitch which is not communicating with the brakes properly. When I stop the vehicle and restarts after sometime again brakes works normally and everything works fine. But after some days this issue repeats. Right now I am taking the vehicle to the nearby dealer to get more information on the vehicle condition. Once I get a clear explanation of the vehicle condition I will add more information to this complaint. Right now the mileage on the vehicle is 105000. I think there are some recalls on this vehicle and I am not sure if they have recall on this particular case.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Mar 272012

Sentra

During a uturn the steering wheel locked and was unable to continue. Auto needed to be towed back to the dealership. Was given an estimate for $2500 to replace the entire steering column.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 072007

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that when the brakes were engaged, the vehicle would veer to the left and an unknown noise would emit from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Sep 192013

Sentra 4-cyl

My car's power steering stop working. According to Nissan I need a new power steering column, price $1795 to labor and tax. They have a recall on the Nissan Sentra 2007 for this same reason but for some reason my car's VIN is not one of the recalled ones. I think if my car has the same problem as the other cars it should be included in the recall.

- Richmond Hill , NY, USA

Sep 192013

Sentra

My car's power steering stop working. According to Nissan I need a new power steering column, price $1795 plus labor and tax. They have a recall on the Nissan Sentra 2007 for this same reason but for some reason my car's VIN is not one of them. I think if my car has the same problem as the other ones it should be included in the recall.

- Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Apr 122012

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the power steering and engine warning lights would illuminate intermittently, followed by a loss of power steering assist. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the dealer advised that since the vehicle was no longer under warranty and the power steering and engine lights did not remain illuminated consistently, there was nothing that could be done to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer would not repair the failure unless the power steering light and engine light remained illuminated. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 44,000.

- Worchester, MA, USA

Apr 162012

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to manuver. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder of the road. After restarting, the vehicle regained normal steering function. The failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 46,581.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jan 062010

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized with the illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. When the engine was restarted the vehicle resumed normally. The failure occurred thirty times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Takoma Park , MD, USA

Nov 172011

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated while driving in reverse about 5 mph the power steering failed. The steering wheel would not turn and the vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated they would replace the steering column at no cost to the owner. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,400.

- Southport, CT, USA

Sep 252011

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. When the contact started the vehicle, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the power steering failed to function. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the failure was related to the electronic control steering shaft assembly. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,878.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 062011

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated while driving 35 mph the steering wheel seized. The engine was turned off and on and the steering then reset. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 63,595.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jan 012008

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the alignment was out of place since the purchase of the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle was difficult to steer while driving at speeds of 55 to 70 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the axle was bent and the vehicle was out of alignment. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 114 and the current mileage was 35,600.

- Bristol, IN, USA

Jan 142011

Sentra

I drive a 2007 Nissan Sentra, and the power steering has been failing frequently over the last several months. This vehicle has electrical power steering. The issue occurs more often in the cold weather, and the power steering has been failing almost daily this winter. Typically, after the car is restarted several times the ps light will turn off and the power steering will again operate correctly. Often I have had to drive the vehicle without functional power steering, and it is very difficult to maneuver the car. Because this issue is worsened by the cold weather, the roads may be icy or snowy, adding to the danger of operating without proper functioning steering. It was difficult for me to have this issue diagnosed by my mechanic, as I had to get the car to him while the ps light was on, and when he ran it through the computer it gave him the code C1606. Having done research online, I see that I am not the only person having this recurring problem with this particular vehicle, but Nissan has not issued any recall. It is an expensive fix (estimated at $2,500), but due to my car no longer being covered under warranty, I am expected to pay out of pocket for this repair. Nissan was willing to offer me $150 to pay for the diagnosis of the problem at one of their dealerships. They offered me this money after I insisted on speaking with a supervisor, and due to the fact that I am a considered a "loyal customer", having owned a 1998 Sentra in the past. Because of the number of customers that are suffering from this malfunction, and the safety concerns involved, I believe a recall is in order.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Nov 142010

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. Upon starting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 84,488 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Irving, TX, USA

Mar 282010

Sentra

Just purchased a pre-owned 2007 Sentra and it pulls to the left when driving down the interstate at 55+mph. Checked tire pressure, dealer balanced the tires and did wheel alignment problem still occurs.

- Walkersville, MD, USA

Aug 122007

Sentra

I own a 2007 Nissan Sentra, the power steering light (ps) continues to come on and the electric power steering does not work on occasion - it has failed beginning at 1 year of ownership and has continued to fail even this morning - August 12, 2009. Don williamson Nissan will not replace the faulty electric motor (pulled by computer code from the car) even though I have documentation of the faulty code at 32,043 miles which was still under warranty. This is a safety hazard - Nissan usa will not fix the problem because the car is now out of warranty. I will never buy another Nissan and I currently own 3 - they have a dishonest service department and are unwilling to satisfy their warranty.

- Newport, NC, USA

Aug 052009

Sentra

I own a 2007 Nissan Sentra - within the first year of ownership the power steering failed - the dash light would come on and the car could not be driven because of the lack of power steering. I took it to don williamson Nissan and they erased the failure light and said nothing was wrong with it. This has happened again (3rd time) - now the warranty has expired, the ps light has come on approximately 7 times within the last week, the power steering does not engage when the car is turned on - I turn the car on and off approximately 6 times and the ps does engage, however now the gears within the steering column grind for approx 1minute before the car operates. I brought the car to the above dealership again and initially they told me nothing was wrong with it again - I insisted twice that they read the computer warning system and they finally did read it and determined that the power steering is actually electric and the electric motor is faulty. They told me they would not fix it unless I pay for $600 in parts up front and labor for a charge of $910 - this is a safety issue that I should not have to pay for. The motor was faulty from the beginning. If the power steering goes out while driving, a major accident is likely to occur.

- Newport, NC, USA

Feb 062008

Sentra

My 2007 Nissan Sentra was purchased new in December 2006. After having to bring in my car on several occasions for minor glitches (a rear-view mirror falling off, one of the sun-visors fell off), I finally had a big problem. In February 2008, while driving on a straight, flat road, while approaching an intersection I prepared to stop my vehicle for a light. I was about 4 car lengths behind the car ahead of me, and was only traveling about 35 mph. When I pressed the brake pedal softly, nothing happened. Then I pushed the brake pedal down all the way, and still nothing happened. I had a wide shoulder to my right, so I tried turning the wheel and it had locked up. At this point, I made contact with the car ahead of me. My car was immediately taken to a repair shop and had the steering column replaced, as well as the hood of the car and various other parts needing to be fixed. The emotional trauma from the accident was difficult and though there were no established injuries, I did experience slight neck and back pain afterward. I was found to be at fault for the accident, despite the brake and steering wheel malfunction, and subsequently had a large increase in my car insurance premium. A Nissan representative was flown out at my request to run diagnostics on the Sentra but since the steering column was replaced as well as other replaced/fixed parts, no information was found. I am 100% positive that the accident was caused due to a mechanical failure and would warn against purchasing a Nissan Sentra. It was a horrible experience and I'm stuck with the car since Nissan would offer no assistance for the trouble.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 222009

Sentra

Vehicle: Nissan Sentra 2007 problem: When starting the car, the power steering may fail, making it difficult to steer the car. Stopping and restarting the engine will temporarily fix the problem. I have not yet experienced loss of power steering while driving and hope I never do.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 132008

Sentra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Sentra. In March of 2008, the vehicle made a grinding sound when making left turns. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but no failures were found. Immediately after leaving the dealer, the contact noticed that the front wheels were unstable. He returned the vehicle to the dealer a week later and a diagnostic test indicated that there was an alignment failure. The mechanic stated that the failure had been previously repaired on the vehicle. Immediately after leaving the dealer the second time, he noticed that the vehicle would stop abruptly when the brake pedal was depressed. This was a persistent failure. He currently must avoid crashing into other vehicles as a result of the brake failure. He took the vehicle to the dealer again and they advised the contact to go to the original dealer to receive any repairs. The current mileage was 12,000 and failure mileage was 8,000. Updated 10/20/08. Updated 10/20/08.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA