2010 Nissan Sentra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Sentra:

2010 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Jul 052016

While drive on insterstates at 65-70mph for 45mins cvt goes into "safe mode" bc it is too hot, which results in the cars speed to not exceed 60 mph on a 70mph interstate, and car decreases from 60mph if trying to go up hills. Which is going to result in many accidents..

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jan 052015

Sentra 4-cyl

Have had the vehicle for 11/2 yrs as a certified Nissan multiple problems like 2 transmissions and a engine starting 1 month after purchase now air bag light has come on and dealer says it is a defective airbag. Nissan will not cover this. What other manufacture are they using for the airbags.

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

Sep 142011

The first incident I was reversing out of spot and the engine just shut off, I had no control of gas however lights and dashboard errors were displayed. I put car in park, turned ignition off and tried to start up car with success. So I thought maybe something strange happened and I went on with my life. Over the next few years this kept happening months even years apart at the strangest times. For example the most recent time it happened I had stopped at a stop sign and when starting to accelerate the car just shut off like it has so many times. By now I started thinking maybe this is more than a coincidence and actually saw a recall online for the same problem. Only this time the car wouldn't start back up. I had it towed to Nissan and told them my suspicions on the recall and I get a call back a few days later saying I need a new engine and they can't check the electrical recall bc they can't start the car. What do I do now!?

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Nov 302010

Sentra 4-cyl

I went to service center several times, but they couldn't fix these. When I am driving my car slowly under 10 mph, there is noise from front wheels everyday, it is loud. I can hear a continuing sound when I turn my car to left or right on road. When I am driving my car on local road, there is noise from gear-knob button(shift-knob button). I found my car doesn't have door-lock with key. When I lock the front door, other doors are not lock together. But the manual doesn't say like that.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jul 062013

Sentra 4-cyl

After driving for about 10 minutes, the transmission did not want to come out of low gear. At 35 mph, I was at about 6,000rpms in drive. I confirmed the overdrive off button is not engaged, nor is it in "L", and the emergency brake is off. When it has been cooled off for about 3+ hours, it will drive fairly normal for about 10-12 minutes until warmed up, then it all starts again. Even once it is cooled off, there is a slight drag on power and it will begin to have erratic shifting (similar to a regular automatic transmission slipping) after a few minutes on take off it feels like the parking brake is on, but it is not. The service engine soon light comes on, the vdc control light comes on, and another light that is above the vdc light comes on. Codes P0720 and P1778 were found by a local non-Nissan dealer who checked them as a courtesy for me. Have discovered that Nissan has extended the cvt transmission warranty on certain Nissan up to 10 yrs or 120,000 miles, my Sentra is included among others. Get more info at: however, my local Nissan dealer says if it will cost me 4 hours labor at $125 hr to tear down for a full diagnosis. If not covered, I have to pay that. A call to another Nissan service center explained the same expense. He also told me that there are many coming thru that are under the replacement program due to a defect that causes engine coolant into the transmission. For that problem, Nissan will replace it but they expect the customer to pay $2,000 toward the bill. That is ridiculous for a manufacturer defect in design that they have acknowledged that causes the failure. I have found in the Nissan factory cvt manual that the problem is internal and mechanical according to its own diagnostics see that manual here I have a 2010, but it is the same.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 132012

Driving to Oklahoma from el paso, two hours into the trip we are going up the mountains and the car stops shifting. We went from 70mph to 40 mph all the way up the mountain. The car did this for the entire trip. We contacted casa Nissan once we returned from our trip. My car was due for its regularly scheduled tun up so the representative said he would check out the issue during service. The representative assured me the problem was due to low transmission fluids and the fluids were filled and serviced. On August 10,2012 we went back to Oklahoma and the same problem occurred. We are back in the Nissan dealership and the same representative advised me that they would have to replace the transmission. September 2011 they had to replace the engine in the car and now its the transmission.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 032010

Sentra 4-cyl

I was driving on a wooded back road when an animal ran out in front of the car. I hit the brakes hard enough to engage the ABS and come to a full stop. Immediately after stopping I took my foot off the brake and stepped on the gas. The car acted like the brakes were still applied. I shifted between drive and reverse multiple times in an attempt to free up the brakes. Eventually I just pressed heavily on the gas and the car began to move forward slowly and gradually picked up speed. After some 15-30 seconds following pressing on the gas, the car resumed acting normally. There was a second incident on an interstate freeway when the traffic in front of me suddenly braked hard. This time I did not stop, but I felt the same sensation of the brakes still being applied. The Nissan dealer has reproduced this problem on multiple different Sentra of different model years but of the same basic generation. Nissan has told me that the car is working as designed and will not fix it. I believe this is a design problem that presents a safety issue of leaving a car unable to move for a short period of time.

- Dublin, NH, USA

Jul 092012

I don't know if this is a one-time, only-thing, but felt I wanted to mention it. My mother drives a 2010 Nissan Sentra, built about 2/10 it has never been serviced by the dealer except for 'included' oil and filter changes, as part of the new car 'sell' I took the front left wheel off, to rotate the tires and, since I have replaced control arms, and cv axles myself in the past, looked around. The 32 mm spindle nut was loose enough to turn by hand, the original cotter-pin (painted black while the car was built) was original-properly intact. I consulted my technical manual and it said that this 32 mm spindle nut is usually torqued to 92 foot-pounds-not finger tight. In fairness as I write this-to leave no stone unturned-and to the manufacturers defense-the car did hit a curb on that side-and the tire blew-it was replaced by etd tire service in NJ. But that cotter pin is original-never removed. So a socket could not have been put on it to loosen it from the original torque setting. Unless the shock of the tire impact jarred it loose" knocked the wheel bearing and loosened the spindle nut? either way-I am glad I spotted this. I wonder if this torque specification is adequate" 92 foot lbs.

- Lodi, NJ, USA