2012 Nissan Sentra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Sentra:

2012 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Jul 052016

Takata recall. The issue I'm having with my Nissan Sentra 2012 is an ongoing issue for awhile now. Traveling up to nv from ca, when I reached a certain hill of a slight altitude decrease my speed automatically from going 80mph to 50mph on the hwy. Even pushing the pedal to the metal, doesn't do any impact at all. Had to pull over and wait 30mins for car to rest and then it went back to normal. Even with doing a oil change and transmission flush, problem still occurs. Contacting the dealership didn't help because my warranty just recently went out with nothing they could do. Talk about my luck! please help, I take very good care of my vehicle and this is the outcome I get?

- Victorville, CA, USA

Aug 212016

Vehicle refused to accelerate during prolonged uphill drive in 95F+ weather. Vehicle speed was reduced to below 50 mph and no amount of accelerator depressing increased speed or acceleration. Vehicle had to be pulled over for 10 minutes before it would accelerate normally again. No notice of engine overheat or malfunction was registered on the the dash. No indicators visible.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

May 122016

On may the 12th 2016 I was in the Nissan with my mother and sister on our way to hemet California from our home in lancaster. On highway 138 I began to hear a weird noise coming from the engine. I also noticed that I was not going as fast as I should have been up a hill. I pulled over, turned the car off and looked under the hood. I checked the oil, water, and it all looked fine. I went back in the car and continued my route. I got on the 10 freeway and everything was good. No traffic and I'm driving 55 miles an hour. I push the gas pedal to go faster and nothing happened. That is when I saw that the check engine light was on. The car had started to slow down. I pushed the gas pedal a few more times and when nothing happened I started to panic. I get over to get off of the freeway and now my speed is about 40mph. Cars are merging on the freeway behind me going at least 60. I was so afraid they were going to hit me. I safely got off of the freeway at North university St in redlands ca. I stopped the car on lytle St. I turned off the engine and opened the hood and it was hot and smoking. I sat there for 30 minutes with my family calling drivetime and aeverex the warrenty provider. I was so scared and confused. Aeverex told me that they work with pep boys and I may be covered on getting it fixed. With one pep boys being just 7 minutes away. I started the car and drove there with the check engine light still on. I didn't not leave my key with pep boys on that day because I was confused on the way aeverex worked. Pep boys of redlands received my key on 5/14/2016 and I got a call later that day from steve who helped me saying that the car needs a new transmission. I would like to know how drivetime completely missed that this car needed a new transmission. I only had it for 6 days!!!!!

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Jan 042016

Takata recall: I was driving on the highway when the "check engine" service light came on, and my car immediately went from 60pmh to 20mph in a matter of minutes. I took it to the dealership that same day (3 weeks ago). After a diagnostic was tested, the throttle pedal position sensor needs to be replaced, and is on backorder. When I asked what that meant, they informed me that the part is not available. The dealership reached out to corporate (after having my car for 2 weeks) and come to find out there are 300 other cases dealing with this same part.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 262015

I have had my car for just over 2 years. I bought it used for business trips mostly. I drove it for the first time on a long distance business trip and 3 hours into trip it stopped accelerating over 70 miles an hour. This continueed the entire way to my final destination. No lights came on, no sounds or smells either. Once I was in town driving on normal roads it was fine again. Then I drove it back home, same thing happened but more extreme. I took it to the Nissan dealership in boulder Colorado. In doing so I found out that all Nissan had a warrenty recall to put in a cvt cooler part. A feature that all Nissan need to insure the possibilty of long distance travel without the transmission over heating and not accelerating properly. The dealership then informed me that it would have been covered if I had brought it in before it was over 60,000 miles. Now that it is howevr, it is my responsibility to pay over $800 for a part my car should have come with. I called Nissan noth America to find resalution, they closed the case and will not help me. I find this extremely unexceptable and dangerous. As a single 31 yr old woman, I could have been stranded in corn fields in the middle of Kansas in the dark had my transmission failed unexpectedly. I purchased this car at 40,000 miles two yrs ago, it should have had that part put in before it left the lot. I will not accept this and am hoping to find some support in getting Nissan to cover parts and labor for this issue. Please let me know your thoughts and how I should proceed from here. Thank you.

- Boulder, CO, USA

May 292015

The vehicle drifts both directions while driving, when braking it seriously pulls right. I have only had the car 6 weeks and haven't hit anything yet but if there are narrow lanes with parked cars I may not be so lucky. There are other problems the heat shields that cover the exhaust come loose and the air sensors in the tires leak so you need to put air in the tires weekly.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 242014

Sentra 4-cyl

Was driving on freeway, accelerating toward 70 mph. Accelerator dropped away from under my foot, tachometer "pegged" 5000 RPM. Quick scan of instrument panel showed car was now in neutral, not drive. My hands were both on the steering wheel; I didn't touch the gearshift lever. The car shifted on its own. This started a series of problems with the transmission that continue to escalate; transmission will override braking (caused 2 accidents 2 weeks apart); on a 500-mile (1-way) business trip in July, car went into fail-safe mode 3 times - loss of power, accelerator non-functional. Car taken off the road by Nissan Corp, but no repairs done; after 49 days out of service, car was released to me, continues to exhibit transmission problems. Now the steering is extremely hard to operate, as if there's no power steering in the car. When transmission overrides brakes, it feels like the car is being pushed, then chokes down (nose of car dips), then is catapulted in the same direction (D or R); in this sequence, brakes fully applied will not stop the car. Nissan's only response is to self-protect against a lawsuit; no concern for the welfare of someone driving a car in this condition!

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jun 282013

At about 1130 pm on my way home from work, approaching a intersection, I depressed the brake pedal and car seemed to increase speed and went through intersection through lawn and striking another car, total lose of control, no brakes, a real scary feeling.

- Coopersburg, PA, USA