2013 Nissan Sentra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Sentra:

2013 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 022015

Sentra 4-cyl

This is the third (3) time it happen, no breakes going down my steep driveway. I live in a neighaborhood with many hills and it has come to my attention the brakes do not function properly going down a steep hill. My speed was no more than 4mph when brake failure.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While driving approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and a squealing noise emitted outside of the vehicle. The failure recurred whenever applying the brakes. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 3,555.

- Henson, KY, USA

Jan 072015

Sentra 4-cyl

We bought a new 2013 Nissan Sentra for our daughter. It is about 1 1/2 years old with about 17,000 miles on it. She was on her way home from school, in stop and go traffic, and had just accelerated when she attempted to stop again. She said she tried to stop but the brake pedal went all the way to the floor with no resistance. Then she tried pumping them and they locked up and the car wouldn't stop. So, she rear ended the car in front of her and both of the airbags deployed. No one was in the car with her and there was nothing in the passenger seat. The officer at the scene didn't think the airbags should have deployed in his experience working accidents. There was hardly any visible damage to the cars involved. Most of the cost to repair it was from the airbags. I contacted Nissan because I learned that the NHTSA was investigating these cars for brake problems. I requested an inspection and they sent a "third party" investigator to retrieve the data off the edr and inspect the car. Of course, they could not find anything wrong with the car and the data did not show any brake failure. According to Nissan they find "no basis to offer financial assistance in this matter at this time". I just want them to admit there's something wrong and buy back this car. What parent in their right mind would put their child back in that car? besides that, she's scared and refuses to drive it. I don't think it's a coincidence that other people, even though it's just a few, are describing the same thing that she did. I guess they won't do anything until someone gets killed!

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Mar 112014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While driving at an unknown speed down a steep incline, the brakes failed without warning and the brake pedal sank to the floorboard. The contact was involved in minor crashes on three different occasions because of the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 142015

Sentra 4-cyl

I purchased a pre-owned Nissan and when I drove it the brake light would come on and the car would leak fluid. I took it in to Nissan and was told it was low on brake fluid and needed to be refilled. They refilled it and assured me it was safe to drive. Three weeks later the same thing began to happen. I took it back to Nissan and they said the brake fluid needed to be refilled, which did not make sense because the brake fluid should never leak. After diagnosis they found out that my ABS actuator was broken and needed to be replaced. This part should never break, especially in a car that is so new. For three months I was driving around a dangerous car, and my brakes could have given out at any moment. I've looked online and Nissan has had several problems with their brakes, and there were several Nissan customers who shared the same problem as me.

- Alta Loma , CA, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the air bag failed to activate when the front passenger seat was occupied. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system) but the failure persisted. In addition, the contact stated that when reversing, there was a loud abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the braking system was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,000.

- Riverside , CA, USA

Oct 012013

Ever since the vehicle was purchased I have experienced issues with the brakes, every time I come to a stop and press the brake after a few seconds the car starts moving and the brake pedal looses pressure and I have to push my foot further than normal, eventually my foot touches the floor of the vehicle and I can't push the brake any further, so I have to tap the gas and then re-engage the brake again. This is very dangerous if you are going downhill and come to a stop. I have taken my car numerous times, that it's getting to the point that its become an inconvenience to actually own the car, to the service department of the Nissan I purchased (Nissan of bergenfield in New Jersey) and they have said nothing is wrong with the car, they looked at the brakes and even applied more pressure on the lines but still the issue persists. I don't understand how a company that values safety would allow their clients to be driving vehicles with this fault. I'm not sure what they are waiting for in order for them to realize that this is not safe by any means, specially for my family who I have to drive and pick up to and from work. I have also spoken with the dealership but have yet to come to a resolution. If you can please open an investigation regarding this matter. Please contact me for any information you may need.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Nov 102014

Purchased a Nissan certified pre-owned vehicle Nissan Sentra 2013. Mileage on vehicle 10014. Bought vehicle from hawthorne Nissan hawthorne NJ. This vehicle was purchased for my 17 year old daughter. We have owned the vehicle for 7 months. Brakes were squeaking. Mechanic states the brake pads were worn out already. Damage was down to 1/2 inch past the red marker. If my daughter was to continue driving this vehicle she would have been dead. I know other complaints have been filed on this please look in to this matter. I am fearful for her to drive it even after the repair. She only placed an additional 3000 miles since our purchase in April.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Oct 042014

Sentra 4-cyl

I was in a parking lot when I pressed the brake pedal. The brake pedal went to the floor with no resistance. Also the car did not begin to stop. I had to pump the brakes in order to notice "normal" operation. This has happened 3 times. I am worried it will happen at a higher rate of speed causing a major accident due to inoperable brakes.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 022014

Sentra 4-cyl

Brake pedal travels to floor brake response is almost non responsive. Pumping helps.

- Hatfield, MA, USA

Aug 152014

Driving home on long island expressway after work, it was rush hour, the traffic move slow. One exit before I should get off high way, noticed something different when stepped on brakes, it was loose, there was no resistance and the car didn't respond, either took long time to slow down a little bit or not slow down. I have no experiences at all and it didn't register in my head it was the brakes, I even thought maybe I was too tired and my judgment was off. I continued driving in the very slow traffic. Soon at the exit, I had to pick up the speed a little bit to merge into the service road. Then I really realized the brakes not working, because I can't stop the car at the intersection traffic light, the light turn orange at the moment, I had no choice, turned left, the car continued and slowed down a little bit, just wondering what to do at the next intersection, the left turn signal light was on and I turned the car to the left onto the service road again. I was close to home already. At that moment I didn't know what to do, thinking if I can't stop the car at least I should keep it at very low speed, approximately less than 5 miles. At the next traffic light, the car managed to stop. I didn't know if it was because it was already at the lowest speed and stopped naturally or the brakes still had a little control. For the whole time, since I was very scared and panic, I never realized I should forced the car stop with the emergency hand control brake or just switched to parking position. After I passed the traffic light, I remembered and pulled over on the side of the road and parked my car. Then I called geico insurance and aaa to have my car towed to the nearest Nissan service center. It all happened between 5:30-7:30 pm. The Nissan service center already closed the business hour.

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Sentra 4-cyl

While waiting at the stop light, the car had began moving forward, I noticed the release of the pressure of the brake pedal, and begin to press harder to stop the car. It occurred again, this time I pressed harder and notice the pressure was completely released and had to floor the brake pedal. I took the vehicle to the dealership which they performed a multi-point inspection and performed a few recalls (I.e. A/C and airbags), checked brake fluid, brake line and master cylinder which apparently passed their test. While picking up the vehicle, we performed a test drive and notice the pressure was fine. After driving my car for a few days, again I stopped at a stop light and the issue began again. This time, the brake pedal floored itself and did not come up until I had to take the tip of my shoes to push it up.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Jun 012013

Every since I have had the 2013 Nissan Sentra the brakes make an extremely loud sound when applied. The dealer insists that nothing is wrong with them but, I beg to differ. The loud scrubbing sound when brakes are applied is not normal for any new car. I am highly disappointed.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Jul 222014

Sentra 4-cyl

I was operating a 2013 Nissan Sentra at approximately 45 mph and I placed my foot on brake to slow down to stop at a red light when the brake pedal travelled to the floor. I had the vehicle checked and both front and rear brakes were good. The car wasn't leaking any fluids. I then contacted Nissan and they advised I would have to bring the vehicle in for them to check it. While taking the vehicle home fro out trip the problem still existed. It was very frightening to think that this problem just started while driving. This seems to be an ongoing problem with these models and Nissan needs to take the appropriate action so nobody is hurt or killed. This car is currently at Nissan being repaired. I spoke with Nissan and they would not inform me of any problems.....made me feel like they are covering up a serious problem.

- Fairfield, VA, USA

Jan 082014

Sentra 4-cyl

I was traveling on ventura blvd. At a normal speed of traffic when someone abruptly stopped in front of me. This happened in encino, ca. On January 8, 2014. The car literally after applying the brakes, kept going and there was no difference between me applying the brakes or not. I could not believe it! it totaled my car, and the person whom I hit have had neck/back injuries! I am lucky to be alive since the weakest crash test was the front end, driver side!! I was injured too my knee swelled and my hand was swollen. When I addressed this to Nissan, there was no response.

- Lake Balboa, CA, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the vehicle shook and jerked violently when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the brake failure. The dealer was able to duplicate the failure, but could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the brakes were operating as designed. The failure mileage was 100. !....updated 07/31/14

- Miskayuna, NY, USA

Feb 012013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the push button start feature failed to engage the engine. In addition, the brakes failed. The contact had to increase the braking distance in order to stop the vehicle. The contact also heard a loud metal grinding sound near the front passenger side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions. The brake sensor was replaced, but the failure recurred. The push button start was not replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Oceanside , CA, USA

Apr 082014

Sentra 4-cyl

While supposedly "stopped" at a red light, I realized I was rolling forward with the brake depressed. I pressed the brake pedal to the floor and the car stopped. When I accelerated ever so slightly, the car bucked and jolted forward. I slowed to a stopped with barely there brakes, put the car in park and pumped up the brakes, raising the pedal. This seemed to temporarily help, but the pedal went to the floor again the next time attempted to stop. Car is at the dealership now. I am awaiting their call.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Mar 092014

Sentra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the brakes were applied and abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle did not respond to braking attempts and the contact had to repeatedly pump the brake to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that both master wheel cylinders would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,488.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Dec 072013

Around 8K my car started with a grinding noise when I would step on the brakes took it for service said the car needed brake fluid, now not even 3months later my car has the similar grinding noise on & off at times not when I step on the brake but when car is running will be taking it to service tomorrow.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA