2013 Nissan Sentra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Sentra:

2013 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 172016

While getting ready to enter a highway, the brake pedal became spongy, and went completely down to the floor. On pumping the pedal, the braking power would come and go. The car had to be towed to a repair shop where it was uncovered that the brake master cylinder had gone bad. The car has only 33279 miles on it and was recently serviced by a Nissan dealer.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Aug 162016

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While driving at any speed, the brake pedal had to be pumped numerous times for the vehicle to stop and the pedal traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to a Nissan dealer where it was diagnosed that the master cylinder failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,229.

- Stougton, MA, USA

Jan 012015

Strong pulsation in brake system when pedal is depressed for a time period at stop light. Stronger pulsation if wheel is turned to make a turn at a light while pedal is depressed. The aforementioned happens when vehicle is at rest at a light or in reverse and brakes are appiled. Also pedal must be pumped to stop car and brakes seem to catch and then release and catch again when stopping, this caused me to have to pump brakes to stop car. This happens when car is in motion on street. This Nissan has had both these problems since 20,000 miles approx.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 112016

Brake pedal fades to the floor intermittently while driving or in park. Mechanic diagnosed bad master cylinder. 65,000 miles on this vehicle. 2/13 production date.

- Aston, PA, USA

Mar 012016

While in motion, an odd "creaking" noise was emitting from the rear passenger wheel. This noise, while similar, was not the same as ntb-13-031A, as the fix for that tsb had been done already. The noise was reported, and the technician found that the hardware for the rear brake had been completely destroyed. It was stated that the pad was not housed and was essentially sideways. Because of this, there was effectively 0% braking occurring on the rear passenger wheel. The dealer replaced the the entire rear braking mechanism on the passenger side. This issue occurred at approximately 36,000 miles.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 152016

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While driving at an unknown speed and attempting to engage the brakes, the brake pedal sank to the floor. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The seat belt failed to retract. A police report was filed. The contact sustained bruises and contusions that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 212015

The contact owned a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While the contact's son was driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal extended to the floorboard when it was depressed. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and there was no warning indicator. The driver sustained minor cuts that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. Both vehicles were towed to a tow yard. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,853.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Nov 052015

With no warning, the vehicle applies brakes while in cruise control. Brake lights on the vehicle remain active continuously after this. Once this has occurred, the cruise control light flashes and the transmission is very limited on power at intermittent intervals. It comes and it goes without reason all the while the brake lights remain fully illuminated. This occurs while the vehicle is in motion. It tends to be while cruise control is enabled, but it has occurred while regularly driving.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Aug 202015

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While driving at approximately 5 mph, there was an abnormally loud noise coming from the vehicle. The brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle suddenly rolled away and the brake pedal failed to respond. The emergency brake was engaged. The vehicle restarted about 30 minutes later. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was not replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,200.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 142015

I have a 2013 Nissan Sentra with 23442 miles. Approximately 2-3 months ago, my brake pedal started acting weird. When I slow down to stop or when traffic is slow and I have to constantly step on my brake, the brake pedal looses pressure and goes further down. I had to pump the brake to regain pressure. It came to the point where I had to adjust and bring my seat forward because I'm tip toeing when I brake. Also, when I'm on full stop, after few seconds the brake pedal starts going down. Took my car to the dealership twice to have it checked and they told me its normal and everything is working as it suppose to be. But I still don't think its normal for my car to do that. I hope Nissan pays attention to this issue and do something to fix it.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 012014

Brakes started making a very loud noise.-dealer continuously denied hearing anything when they claimed they test drove the vehicle. *after several complaints to the dealer they resurfaced the rotors to correct the issue, but issue persisted *noise from brakes got louder- they finally agreed to go in the car with me and concluded they did hear the noise-claimed it was the rear brakes which they claimed they replaced *noise persisted, more return visits- they went back to stating they didn't hear the sound when they test drove it. At one point, the service manager actually stated I was causing the issue. That I had to try to "brake harder" and "slam on the brake" once in a while to "break the glazing" on the rotors? then he said they would not do any more repairs on the brakes, because nothing is wrong with them and said I should contact Nissan Consumer Affairs. *they set up an appointment with a "dts", their technical expert, to meet me at the same dealer. Service department had one of their mechanics drive with me while they waited for the dts guy to come back to the dealership. Mechanic was in the car with me for maybe a minute or so and heard the sound as soon as I pressed the brake and he determined issue was the front brakes. *dealer said they would only lube the front brakes to make the sound stop. I was not happy with this and now they say they are going to now resurface the front rotors and change the brake pads. I explained to them that I am afraid this is not going to resolve the issue and was told that's all they are doing about it. So after months and months of back and forth they don't even seem to be concerned on completely correcting the issue. I am becoming more and more concerned for my safety and want to make sure my car is not going to place me and my children in danger.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Feb 062015

About a few hours after I signed the paperwork and drove off of the lot with my certified pre-owned vehicle, I heard a grinding sound (rear brakes). I took it back to the dealer that day and they claimed that there was probably debri due to the snow and sand on the roads. I didn't hear the sound again until March, when I took it to the service center at the dealership for an oil change. I had them check the brakes and they told me it was something ball bearings, or something like that. Bottom line, it didn't solve the problem. I took the car back to the dealership in may, with the same issue and they replaced the brake "kit." They told me that I shouldn't have anymore problems. I, in fact, did have the same problem again. June 1st I took the car to the dealership again for a brake issue, they took the rear system apart including the wheels, etc. They said that they could not find anything wrong, and to bring it back if I heard the noise again. Well, today, I drove the car and the grinding in the brakes is worse than I've ever heard it before. I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow, to see if they can get it right this time. My frustration level is at an all time high. I'm annoyed with the sound and I am sure everyone around me who has to hear it, but I am also concerned about the safety of my family when we are in the vehicle.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Jul 192015

Brakes began squeaking upon backing up with around 4000 miles. My personal mechanic passed inspection. With 8800 miles, I was driving about 15 mph attempting to make a turn when I applied brakes and car started to slow down, and then jerked forward as if brakes failed. I had to put the brakes to the floor to slow down and was then able to make my turn. I drove a bit more with no problems, but this was very frightening and will be calling dealer in the morning for further inspection.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

May 012015

I purchased a 2013 certified pre-owened Nissan Sentra in November of 2014 with 29K miles and loved it, but a couple of months ago we started experiencing issues with the brakes. Any time coming to a stop, the brake pedal feels like it has very little brake pressure and the pedal depresses too far down almost as if it had air in the brake system. After coming to a complete stop and while pressing on the brake, seconds later the car starts moving and the brake pedal looses pressure and I have to push my foot further than normal, eventually my foot is near the floor board and have to pump the brake pedal to regain brake pressure. This proves to be very dangerous if you have to make a sudden stop for an emergency or are going downhill and come to a stop behinde another vehicle. Being that the vehicle is still under warranty, I took it to the Nissan dealership where I purchased it and they have said nothing is wrong with the car and that I was welcomed to drive a new car to see that the issue was considered to be normal operation. That only proves to me that the brake problem is still an issue and Nissan has done nothing to fix the problem. They still looked at my brakes and replaced front and rear brake pads as a precausionary measure but the issue still persists. I have never owned a Nissan and have alway owned american makes, I feel greatly disapointed in a company that claims to value safety and yet allow their clients to be driving vehicles with such a serious saftey concern. Having worked service for a dealership in the past for many years I recognize that technitians can have their hands tied if the manufacturer that engenieered the vehicle doesn't provide a solution for them to repair a problem. If you can please open an investigation regarding this matter and hope that Nissan could consider finding a solution for this problem soon.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 172014

Sentra 4-cyl

Traveling at 50mph on a highway, a rear brake engaged. Tire smoke was visible from rear of vehicle. Brakes were applied, avoiding accident. Rear brake engaged for a second time during same trip. Vehicle was taken in for service. Wheel cylinder replaced. Vehicle continues with noticeable braking problems. --dealerships/service providers are not required to report these events. Consumer not aware of this, hence the delay in reporting.-- updated 10/9/15

- Little Ferry, NJ, USA

Jul 062015

I was coming up to a stop sign when I pressed my brakes and they descended all the way to the floor with very little resistance. I pumped the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. I continued to drive and was making a left turn at about 5-10mph when I applied the brakes again to slow the vehicle when the brakes gave little resistance and I had to pump the brakes again. As I was pulled up to my parking spot the issue occurred again. This was a sudden change as I was driving the vehicle about an hour beforehand with no issues.

- Lyman, WY, USA

Dec 102013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. While driving approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was a loud grinding noise coming from all of the wheels. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnosis was unknown. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 126.

- Jacksville, FL, USA

Jun 082015

While driving home from work I experienced problems with my brakes. I would press the brake pedal to slow down but there would be little pressure and before I know it I have the pedal to the floor and it eventually slows down and stops. This has become a constant problem and very dangerous because I can't get the car to stop right away.I read online that other 2013 Nissan Sentra owners are having the exact same problem. I would ask you to please investigate this and please contact me with any questions.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jun 052015

Brakes appear to be making a weird creaking noise and barely stopping, when going downhill I almost have to put on my emergency brakes.this has never happened before.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 222015

After attempting to accelerate from stop at a stop sign, the Sentra would not accelerate higher than about 10 mph. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor, and still no acceleration. After a minute or so, it went back to normal. Over the course of an hour long drive, this happened at least 5 times. ABS indicator also came on when pushing the brake. Vdc and slip lights came on and stayed on for about half an hour. It will perform normally for a day or two. Then start malfunctioned at random. Two attempts have been made at the dealership to fix it according to diagnostic test which indicated the "brake switch code". brake switch replaced and vehicle performed normally for two days the performed worse than before part was changed.

- East Bernstadt, KY, USA