2013 Nissan Sentra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Sentra:

2013 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 162016

Sentra

Purchased a 2013 Nissan Sentra with around 45820 miles on it.2 weeks later the transmission goes out. They replaced because it was still under warranty.received it back with problems. RPM would go up past 5 when acceleraring or passing. Complained and never received a call back was told that was normal.. problem continues. Even had a supervisor test drive and was told nothing was out of order.contact corporate they send me to a new dealer and its gears that are not shifting correctly. Solution another transmission this time they expect me to pay but they are willing to pay half.unacceptable for a problem I been complaining about since receiving the vehicle back.obvious defect in transmission for nisan or in mechanics that work for them

- Selma, AL, USA

Nov 102016

Sentra

'takata recall" I bought my car brand new, I've only had it for 3 years and now I need to replace my transmission. I took my car in for an alignment, I was shown where there is a leak on the transmission. I've taken it to 3 separate mechanics. Unfortunately, because its a cvt type of transmission, only Nissan is able to fix it! Nissan won't budge on the cost of repairs, they have an I don't care attitude about it. It's a damn shame that Nissan is building faulty transmissions and won't stand behind their product. I am literally kicking myself in the ass for buying a Nissan. Once upon a time, Nissan was known to make excellent quality cars that were built to last a lifetime. This is my first brand new car, but not my first Nissan. I am extremely disappointed! I will never again purchase a Nissan! I will discourage everyone I know from buying Nissan vehicles! what a disgrace!!!!

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 032016

Sentra

Vehicle wouldn't accelerate going up a small hill. RPM's increased to 4000-5000 range but no power. Took to dealership said cvt transmission failure. 83,000 miles, 3 years old.

- Dickson, TN, USA

Sep 052016

Sentra

The transmission will not come out of gear. Vehicle will start and come out of gear once you hit the gear shift several times. Started the issue last month 09/05/2016. No other incident took place prior. The vehicle was stationary on flat ground in the driveway every time it has taken place. If you put it in park once you finally get it out of park it take about 45 minutes of working with it to get it back out.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 012016

Sentra

My Nissan is a 2013 Sentra the transmission gave out at 103,000K. 3K over the drive train warranty.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 012016

Sentra

While traveling on the interstate during morning rush hour, my 2013 Nissan Sentra started shaking and vibrating. The engine began making sounds, and since I was in stop-and-go traffic, I noticed that when I stepped on the brakes or tried to accelerate, the vehicle wouldn't respond. The RPM meter was jumping all over the place. When I tried to accelerate, my car wouldn't move, and then would jerk forward suddenly. This all made driving on the highway very scary, especially since the problems came about suddenly. I would have to keep an overcautious distance from other vehicles because I wasn't sure when my car would decide to stop or speed up. All of this was happening and the check engine light never came on. The transmission has had a recall before, and I have seen hundreds of consumer reports of others with the same complaint. My vehicle is only 3 years old, I am the first owner, and I have kept up with all service requirements. Call the dealership and was told the transmission needs to be replace, that this cars continuing to have this issue since the begining of the cvt transmission on the Sentra I think Nissan needs to take responsibility for putting cars with unsafe transmissions on the road, my family own many Nissan vehicles and they are good products with some exceptions

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Aug 252016

Sentra

Transmission jerks accelerating and decelerating between 15-30 mph. Warranty is to 60K, however hundreds (if not thousands) of owners have this issue. Resetting the ems module did not fix the issue. Car needs a new transmission. A car that was pampered for 77K miles should not need a $3,800 transmission. Based the number of owners who have this issue, it is a manufacturer's defect, not an owner's issue. No one should have to deal with problem on a new car. The government should investigate.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Jul 062016

Sentra

My first indecent occurred while driving down a state highway with my cruise control on, my cruise control was cut off. As I was trying to accelerate back to my driving speed, the gas pedal felt loose and my car was having trouble revving up to accelerate and would not let me accelerate back up to posted highway speeds. The car then "jumped" forward and went back to normal and allowed me accelerate. However, I was not able to engage my cruise control back to normal and would cut it off every time I set it. I took my car to the dealership the next day for an initial recall notice to be fixed and explained also what happened. When I described my issue the service man had said it sounded as if my transmission was slipping, that they would look at it. After recall was cared for and two test drives later, they found nothing wrong with the vehicle. Told me if problem comes back to bring in immediately. On 07/06/2016 on my drive home at night, I came to a light and yielded, upon trying to accelerate to turn my car failed to accelerate and was having issues once again revving up! I drifted in to a nearby parking lot, put my car in park, turned it off for a few minutes then turned it back on. It acted fine until I was further down on a state highway and it was giving issues accelerating again. I contacted the dealership the next day (07/07) and was told to bring it in. They called me after sometime, and made me aware of what was wrong with my vehicle(condensation in the tail lights!) and how it was affecting my vehicle. I was also told that it was a manufacturer issue and that the manufacturer and Nissan are aware of the issue but have yet to issue a recall!! this is a serious issue that can lead to a fatal accident!!

- Elm Grove, LA, USA

Jun 182016

Sentra

Weston Nissan Volvo / to whom it may concern in December 2013, I bought a 2013 Nissan Sentra, from your dealer services weston Nissan. So far, I received forever the services from your specialized department, maintenance required by your people in the same place where it was purchased. A few days ago, the vehicle presented a fault according to reports by the mechanic of weston Nissan; corresponds to a failure of transmission. That person notified me that the transmission (powertrain) is damaged and have to be replaced at a cost of $ 4000. This transmission was damages because proper maintenance was not performed, as reported by the mechanic. Now, as can this be possible?, if the car constantly carry to service according to the warranty and maintenance requirements upon miles. And in the service record, you can see that there is no service for this part. Nissan should stand behind their transmission product, reputation and do what is right for all consumers who experience a traumatic and costly situation due to the poor quality and failed transmission. Nissan decline to take any responsibility. Also, IżM very disappointed because in that short time the car suffered air conditioning problems, replacement gas pump, air bag problems (many times) and more recently serious transmission problem. In my car's service record, there is no evidence of changing air filters and other important car's parts, which gives serious doubts about your service's quality. Personally, replace the air filter was never changed. I think there is no reason, if there is been a properly service, to have all this issues with my car. Best regards, NHTSA recall 14V-138

- Weston, FL, USA

Jul 022016

Sentra

While driving my 2013 Sentra car started to rev amd sputter and hestitating. Stepped on gas no power, no check engine lights, radio works but car wuldnt drive driftted out of traffic put car in park. Car then would not reverse or drive I believe transmission needs work. Car only has 78K on

- Swedesboro, NJ, USA

May 192016

Sentra

While traveling on the interstate during morning rush hour, my 2013 Nissan Sentra started shaking and vibrating. The engine began making sounds, and since I was in stop-and-go traffic, I noticed that when I stepped on the brakes or tried to accelerate, the vehicle wouldn't respond. The RPM meter was jumping all over the place. When I tried to accelerate, my car wouldn't move, and then would jerk forward suddenly. This all made driving on the highway very scary, especially since the problems came about suddenly. I would have to keep an overcautious distance from other vehicles because I wasn't sure when my car would decide to stop or speed up. All of this was happening and the check engine light never came on. The transmission has had a recall before, and I have seen hundreds of consumer reports of others with the same complaint. My vehicle is only 3 years old, I am the first owner, and it has less than 70,000 miles on it. I have kept up with all service requirements. I think Nissan needs to take responsibility for putting cars with unsafe transmissions on the road.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Mar 092016

Sentra

When the car sped sometimes begins to vibrate this does at startup until 15 miles and then the car works normally. It is as if in this situation start to happen. By putting the car in neutral does not have this problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 092016

Sentra

Purchased Nissan Sentra 2013 five months ago at 47,000 miles. I have had my transmission replaced 3 times in 4 months. The first 1 time I was on the highway going 65 mph and the vehicle suddenly decelerated, traffic would not allow me to pull over in time. It came to a complete stop in the middle of the highway. I was pushed to the side after people pulled over. The second time I was on the highway and was able to pull to the side when the car decelerated. Towed both times. The 3rd time I was pulling into a rest stop a safe area. I was able to start the car back up but it jerked to the garage. I will be afraid to drive the vehicle and my warranty will be over, I am amazed that a car company ignores this with hundreds of complaints.

- Agawam, MA, USA

Mar 042016

Sentra

Left rear tail light was broken, moisture affected propulsion causing an immediate inability to sustain any acceleration almost resulting in an accident with the sudden loss of power while vehicle was in motion.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 232015

Sentra

In the evening of 12/23/2015 when entering freeway 101 in ca at the gilroy entrance, I pressed the accelerator pedal in my vehicle in order to reach the freeway speed of 65 mph. When pressing the accelerator I didn't get the acceleration going and I experienced a sudden jerk motion in the car. The car did not accelerate up to the 65 mph and I had to enter the freeway at a speed of about 40-50 mph. If a driver had been entering the freeway behind me at regular acceleration, probably he would had crash into my car. After noticing the lack of acceleration, I felt the car tried to change gears but didn't, experiencing more jerking when pressing the accelerator. After driving in the freeway for 13 miles, I exit the freeway and the checkengine light came on. I was able to drive home and next day drive to the local mechanic for a quick checkup. The local mechanic did a computer diagnosis and determined there was a problem with the transmission and the transmission solenoid. My car has only 73,179 miles and is is pretty unusual that such a driven vehicle fails at this mileage. 2 more diagnostics were run with the computer description stating clutch pressure disengagement performance. Transmission fluid levels fine. This kind of failure is inadmissible in a car this old and very dangerous in a highway scenario.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Dec 282015

Sentra

Intelligent key fob intermittent start/stop of vehicle. Went to start my car after dinner and it would not start.no activity when pressing the intelligent key fob. Stranded in a parking lot, called my spouse and then he came with a spare fob, same thing, no start.turned fob around per owners manual and car started but key warning light flashed all the way home. Read manual and made sure all caveats were not the issue. Winter weather night outside, came home and pulled car in the garage, waited an hour and tried to start car, no problem started fine. Went out next morning and car started fine after two stops, at third stop would not start again. Used procedure suggested in owners manual and car started. Drove to final destination and no key warning light flashing. Went online and found many complaints of dealer related issues with replacement of a steering lock switch to cure problem, (at a cost of around 800 - 900 dollars), at the car owners expense. Found some other info online suggesting there is an extended warranty from manufacturer on this item. Have not yet researched that claim. Also some suggestions to inform NHTSA to start a recall process for this as it seems to be widespread with this make and other models of this manufacturer. I am submitting this complaint in the hopes that others will also and get a recall issued for this. Will contact a local dealer for more info on status of manufacturer. Twice in 24 hrs is not a coincidence. There is an issue with this system and it should be looked into by NHTSA.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 172015

Sentra

An engineer said that car had been overheating in the transmission for a long period of time. My service team did not know about it. The car failed at 89,000 miles and a month before I owned it 3 years. The engineer said that every 50000 miles the 2013 Sentra needs a $4000 plus new transmission. I turned the car on after parking and while turning the car everything seemed fine. I put my foot on the gas and the car would not accerate at all and made chunking noises. I parked the car and called a tow truck. The car had two major checkups at the dealership July-August and was assured that nothing was wrong with the car. Engineer said it had been overheating during the time of the major check up. Nissan tech at service center swore my car was in perfect working condition.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Dec 162015

Sentra

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Sentra. After starting the vehicle and attempting to accelerate, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to move forward. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Dec 042015

Sentra

Slipping transmission on takeoff and during any type of acceleration. Was about creamed by a truck on 301 turning into hampton oaks parkway in tampa fl. No accident, but also had transmission enter a default state where car wouldn't accelerate over 50mph. Dealer hasn't fixed and it is an intermittent issue. Dealer says they can't reproduce the problem, autoway Nissan of brandon.

- Dover, FL, USA

Sep 232015

Sentra

Second failed transmission!!!!! driving on the freeway again and the transmission slammed into low gear. This time my father was driving the vehicle. The first blown transmission was at 20K miles this one failed at 9K miles. Odometer reading 29K. This is ridiculous, my family and I are afraid to drive this car. Will be filling a complaint with Nissan as well. Even with a warranty this car is on transmission #3. what happens after the warranty expires"?" am I left with a death trap waiting for the next transmission to seize up on the freeway and cause an accident.

- South El Monte, CA, USA