2004 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Jun 182011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Instrument lights stay on, brake vod, slip. Google search lead to checking real axle seals both are leaking. No repair to date will take to shop on Monday 6/20.

- Andalusia , AL, USA

May 252011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Not known while driving vdc ABS brake lights all come on, found both rear axel seals leaking.

- Barefoot Bay, FL, USA

Apr 142011

Titan

Front right tire was wearing irregularly and was informed at tire store that wheel hub may be worn and causing the problem. Took the vehicle to the Nissan dealership and not only was wheel bearing assembly identified as an issue but was informed that front differential needed replacement (front axel pulling out from front differential) at cost of $1755 (additional to the $373 to replace the front wheel hub assembly). The rear differential on this vehicle had already been replaced under warranty in April'08 (based on clicking noise while driving) which triggered me to research this defect on the internet and NHTSA web site and ask the dealer about other similar failures seen. I have found numerous issues with the front and rear differentials reported on both 2004 and 2005 Titans due to what appears to be a faulty design that was later changed on the 2006 model year. I called Nissan customer affairs to open a request for support and was informed based on years of service and mileage they would denied supporting this complaint, I escalated to the next level of management and was again denied any support. Clearly there is an issue with the differentials on the 2004 Titan that needs to be investigated since this should not be considered normal wear and tear to replace both differentials on the same vehicle given normal highway passenger driving (no off road, no towing).

- Andover, MA, USA

Apr 252011

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle seal leaking on brakes. Truck wont stop very well.Nissan knows about this problem.

- Fayetteville, TN, USA

Mar 212011

Titan

Rear axle seal failure. Oil leaked all over my brakes causing the brakes to not function properly. Truck is a 2004 with 69,000 miles, so it is not covered under any warranties. Nissan needs to address this issue as it is a valid safety concern.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Apr 022011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Pass rear axle seal blew out and leaked differential fluid. Differential fluid leaking on rear brake rotors which could cause brake failure, which was a major safety concern to me. At time of failure no suspension modifications had been done to vehicle. Also, the rear differential oil will slowly leak and cause the rear differential to lose fluid and fail. As this seemed to be a very common problem with the Nissan Titan, Nissan should address this issue and offer a permanent fix so we would not be faced with the safety issue in the future.

- North Logan, UT, USA

Nov 302010

Titan

Grease leaking from right front axle. Axle will not stay engaged into front differential. Nissan says differential must be replaced.

- Holden, ME, USA

Feb 172011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

My brakes started to fail. Upon inspection it was determined that my rear axle seals had failed. Fluid has leaked all over the bottom, into my brakes. Resulting in total brake replacement. It is very costly and I am currently trying to find a shop to fix. Apparently it is mainly a dealer repair; how convenient.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Jul 112008

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Nissan Titan, it has blown out 2 rear differentials. One was at 93,000 miles repair cost 2,900 dollars, and the other at 148,00 miles repair costs 2,600 dollars. The truck goes quickly from drivable to dangerous to drive. From research there is a defect in the differential venting design. You would think they should be responsible for at least the 2nd one.

- Marshfield, MA, USA

Jan 312011

Titan

It was around 3:30 pm and I was just getting off of school. There was a good amount of snow on the ground so I decided to put it into 4 wheel drive. I drove for about 4 miles to get onto interstate 69. I started to accelerate and as soon as I got up to around 45mph, I heard a loud bang from the front end. The truck jerked to the left, I grabbed the steering wheel with both hands preventing from slamming into a semi in the lane beside me. Luckily I didn't get hurt. I know it is the differentials are completely trashed. I have an appointment at the Nissan dealership to get it diagnosed. I believe that I should not have to pay for the damage since this has been a major problem in the Titans. I bought a Nissan because I heard they were very reliable, and the company is willing to help. I sure do hope they help me out with this major defect in my truck. I really hope that this becomes a recall before someone really gets hurt, or even worse, killed.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Feb 022011

Titan

2004 Nissan Titan crew cab xe 4X4. Radiator has failed, rear differential leaked, rear differential axle seals failed, front differential failed twice"C-clip", transmission leaked three times, front brake rotors replaced, driver side power window failed, something to do with the shifter fell out from underneath the dash, rear shackles for leaf springs are failing, numerous safety recalls and even more information bulletins that Nissan will not repair.

- Springtown, TX, USA

Jan 202011

Titan

I was at a stop light and as I took off getting my truck up to 15-20 mph I noticed a whining sound. It sounded as if the sound was in the rear of the truck. Come to find out that the rear differential was shot. The ring and pinion failed in the truck and shards of metal effected the gears as well.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jan 142011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The rear axel shaft starts to leak due to seal failure but is actually due to spider gear failure causing excessive pressure build up causing the seals to fail. There are over 1000 recoded instances on the internet and supposedly one causing a serious accident with injuries. On calling 3 different dealers all were aware of the issue but nothing is covered past the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty. All dealers service centers stated they have not seen this failure prior to that frequency.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Dec 082010

Titan 8-cyl

I was driving my 2004 Nissan Titan and my rear end locked up on me. I lost control of the vehicle but was able to avoid crashing. Come to find out it was a bad rear seal on both sides. Seems to be a common problem with this truck.

- Metairiie, LA, USA

Dec 262010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Nissan Titan 55,000 miles..rear seal leaking fluid, dealer said it was a poorly made axle and had to be replaced. This is a wide spread problem as I have read complaints on the internet. Cost $822...lost traction on the front wheels yesterday morning during snow storm. Took it to the dealer this morning. Mechanic said we were lucky the wheel didn't come off on the drive there. Lots of Titan owners saying defect on front axle also...truck is still in the shop and they want $1,100 to replace this axle and ground up pinion or something to that effect. We have also had this truck in the shop to fix 3 other safety recalls. Would appreciate any help you can give us. Do not understand why Nissan is not being held responsible for this defect.

- Charlotte Hall, MD, USA

Aug 202010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

At around 106,00 miles the rear driver's side axle seal blew out with enough force to destroy ABS sensor and parking brake assembly. 2,000 miles later passenger side rear seal blew out and rear differential totally locked up. This is apparently a known defect that Nissan simply won't acknowledge. This repair ended up costing around $4,100 to repair at my expense, on top of the $900 paid previously to repair original seal failure.

- Kingston, TN, USA

Dec 202010

Titan 8-cyl

Driving when I heard noises from back of truck 2004 Nissan Titan stopped and checked, called a tow truck and found out I had blew rear axle seal and the pin from the rear end and now I need to replace the whole rear end called Nissan they said 2006 was corrected and to look for aluminum cover ones because the steel cover ones were the old version. Yes there are 339 complaints on here for powertrain issues for 2004 Titan. Thanks.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Dec 072010

Titan

Rear differential bearing failure resulting in ring and pinion damage

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 062010

Titan

Axle seals are leaking that can cause improper rear braking. Nissan hasnt addressed the issue as a recall but several issues has been noted.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Sep 112010

Titan

The rear axle seals were replaced with oem 2 years ago. They are now leaking again allowing gear lube to run down the tubes onto the rear brakes and tires. Rendering the rear brakes and parking brakes useless and unsafe to drive. This makes the parking brake useless putting the whole trucks weight constantly on the park pin of the transmission. This rear brake loss caused brake fade of the front brake coming off an interstate nearly rear ending another vehicle. I saw on the forums and your own complaint search that it is a very common and dangerous issue and needs to be resolved. The problem must lay in the axles and not the seal themselves to be going so often. I tow sometimes and this is my daily driver so I must fix the problem asap. I have to replace brakes and rotors all the way around along with parking shoes axle seals and bearing retainers. This is very expensive.

- Robesonia, PA, USA