2004 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Oct 012010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Several times in the past month while driving on the highway the truck has stalled followed by a loud thud from the transmission - all of the dash lights come on, and the vehicle restarts, but the transmission does not engage for several seconds and only one gear is available until the vehicle is shut off and restarted. Also have had some problems starting the vehicle since the first 2 occurrences on the highway. Replacing the ipdm as this is a known issue with the vehicle. This is a very unsafe problem that needs to be corrected immediately.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Oct 012010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Nissan Titan SE 4X4 has a known rear differential problem which leads to failure. Rear differential is leaking onto brakes/rotor. My vehicle has never towed anything and only has 58,000 miles. Nissan dealer says past warranty but admit known problem. I was told to contact Nissan directly. Differential fluid has metal in it. Unsafe conditions on all early models of this truck and Nissan is avoiding the issue they need to have an immediate recall before someone is killed.

- Altamont, NY, USA

Sep 172010

The rear universal joint has failed. I took to the vehicle to a mechanic for inspection on or about 9/2/10 and I was told that the U-joint had 3 big pieces of metal laying in the bottom of the housing. I then had the vehicle towed to hubler Nissan in indianapolis, in and the service department confirmed the previous findings. Hubler stated that they would have to replace the complete rear axle. The approx. Cost would be $2,500-$3,000.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Sep 102010

Rear axle seals are leaking on my 2004 Nissan Titan. Rear diff fluid is getting on rear disc brakes, braking inhibited. This is the second time this has happened. First seals were replaced at 48,000 miles, now leaking again at 97,000 miles.

- Marshall, IL, USA

Sep 012010

Rear wheel seal out on 2004 Nissan Titan 4WD. Oil gettin on brake could cause fire.

- Texline, TX, USA

Jun 122010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving in loose gravel and I felt an unusually feeling in my rear axel, so I drove the vehicle slowly home never felt it until I arrived to my home and then I parked it. I then called a transmission mechanic and had the vehicle towed to transmission repair shop. The repair shop called and tried to get replacement parts for my rear axle and where unable to. So they had to get a hole new rear axle not just new parts but a completely new rear axle. The new rear axle is completely different from the original, which makes me and the mechanic that owns the repair shop believe that the original rear axle was faulty. Other wise why wouldn't the rear end be the same and be able to get replacement parts for the old rear axle like you can with most vehicles.

- Cheboygan, MI, USA

Aug 052010

My Nissan Titan crews brakes were not performing well on a trip I took. After getting home I noticed oil on my garage floor at both rear brakes. The rear diff. Was leaking all over the brake backing plate to the extent that oil was being slung throughout the wheel well the rear axle has failed the driver side rear seal required replacement due to excessive leakage when I parked the truck it had moved several inches back until another gear engaged the problem is not design itself it is the quality of the metal being used for the gears I feel Nissan should be forced to recall this potentially dangerous manufacturer defect.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jul 252010

The events leading up to my front end axle failure was due to slight use of the 4WD in mild snow conditions the first time. I had it repaired by a factory Nissan authorized dealer and had the same problem occur less than 30,000 miles later. Nissan is saying its not their fault but I was not abusing the 4WD simply just using it. Basically the front left axle breaks a clip and the axle shaft going into the differential slides down. Over time unnoticed I'm sure this could be detrimental to the front end components until a catastrophic steering/wheel failure. I will be trying to contact Nissan to get their story of why this keeps occurring.

- Kalama, WA, USA

Jul 272010

2004 Nissan Titan 67000 miles, driving on regular road in good repair, rear differential starting making noise. Next day, differential locked up. Inspection showed broken teeth on ring and pinion gears.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 142010

Rear axle seals began to leak at 75000 miles. Vehicle has been driven on highway at all times. The Nissan dealer notice the leak during an inspection. Numerous forums have complaints of the axle seals failing due to improper venting. Leakage of gear oil onto rear brakes presents a safety hazard to my family. Request Nissan replace axle seals and do a recall to reengineer a new venting system for axle seals.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Jun 252010

I have just had the rear differential fail on my 2004 Nissan Titan at 95K miles. The truck had been used for towing but only about 5 times a year. It has a tow package and most of the miles on it are highway miles.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 212010

Titan 8-cyl

2004 Nissan Titan spider gears busted, working on getting it fixed now.

- Trinity, NC, USA

May 262010

Titan 8-cyl

Driver and passenger side rear axel seals leaking causing fluid to get on to brake rotors.

- Edwardsville , IL, USA

May 152010

Hello. I recently bought a 2004 Nissan Titan. When having the vehicle checked for safety, we noticed that one of the rear axle seals on the passengers side were leaking. The seal looked to have lead a fairly large amount of oil that was saturating the rim and also soaked the emergency break on the passenger side. After looking at the car fax in noticed that this same vehicle had a rear axle seal replace in January. I cannot be certain this seal was the same seal as the one in January. The vehicle has 68000 miles on it. After doing some research on Titan I noticed that this is a common problem from this truck. I am not sure if anything can be done about it but I do feel like this could turn into a safety issue considering not only that this seems to be a common problem, but that when this problem does occur, it saturates the rims, tires and brakes with oil.

- Thunder Bay , MN, USA

May 082010

Dealer claims front differential C clip for passenger side front wheel axle is defective. Axle moved outward approx. 1 inch and leaked oil at that location.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jun 022009

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle seal leaks; 2004 Nissan Titan.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Mar 202010

My rear axle seals on my 2004 Nissan Titan pick-up truck leaked and cause the rear brakes to fail.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Mar 222010

Front and rear drive train not properly vented leading to axle seal leaks onto brakes

- Bradford, 00, USA

Mar 212010

1. there were no specific events leading up to the failure. 2. the C-clip that held my driver's side axle in the front differential of my 2004 4X4 Nissan Titan broke, causing the front differential to fail. I noticed a large puddle under the truck one evening and upon inspection, found that the axle had shifted 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch outside of the differential housing. The leak was coming from the ruined side seal caused by the C clip breaking. 3. I filled the differential up with new oil to avoid burning up the ring and pinion (didn't know it was already bad at the time) so that I could get the truck to the dealership. Once the problem was diagnosed, I was told the repair would be $1987. I checked around and no other automotive repair shop could fix this B/C they could not get the parts. Apparently the front differential for my truck is "captivated" which means only the dealerships can get them. To my understanding, it seems kind of like a monopoly on the parts.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jan 112010

Was in 4 wheel drive tried to make a left hand turn, truck basically stopped in middle of a busy road until I heard a poping then was able to turn but 4 wheel drive failed. Now there are problems with my power train and front differential. Went to a garage they say missing a clamp, but dealership says no clamp and nothing wrong that it works fine. It most certainly does not work fine

- Canterbury, CT, USA