2004 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Aug 182016

Rear axle seal leaks are a recurring problem on this vehicle. I have had mine replaced 4 times at various points over the past 12 years and they are leaking again. It has been 12 months since the last repair, at which time I also replaced the rear axle shafts in an attempt to resolve the issue once and for all. Fluid leaking from the rear axles directly onto the wheel hub, tires, brake pads and discs and all surrounding areas, saturating them completely, is a significant safety concern, in my opinion, and I believe is grounds for a safety recall. I believe both braking ability compromise and fire hazard are potential results of this issue. As leaks develop, they become both static and dynamic, which is to say that fluid leaks while driving and while parked. Large puddles of diff fluid form under rear wheels after being parked for any significant amount of time. Nearly all of my driving is done on-road so I don't see this issue being related to off-road driving damage possibility. Regardless, this safety issue needs to be addressed and rectified by Nissan.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Dec 162010

Front differential/axle on my four wheel drive Nissan Titan is broken and leaking fluid, truck will not go into four wheel drive any more. I was at the Nissan dealership getting an inspection performed when they noticed the failure.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 042016

I'm filing a complaint for the missed recall on the Nissan Titan! the design of the rear axle of this vehicle causes a rear axle seal leak. Many consumers reported this problem and complained and Nissan or this government has not issued or demanded a recall be made mandatory for this rear axle seal issue?! seems a little odd to me as this could cause major repairs and serious injury or death of this fails while out on a public roadway! I unfortunately am a Nissan Titan consumer and have experienced the same issues as everyone online complaining about them leaking and going out. I contacted Nissan and will be pursuing reimbursement for this repair!

- Princeton, MN, USA

Nov 132015

Rear differential failure

- Houma, LA, USA

Sep 262015

While driving my 2004 Titan, I noticed a banging and clanging sound. I thought it was a limb stuck in my tire. Upon further inspection, I noticed oil on the inside rear rotor, passenger side. I was already miles from home on a hunting trip. I only have 79,000 miles on the truck. After hunting, I limped my truck about 30 miles home, travelling about 35 mph, while it is banging and clanging, sounding as though the wheel is about to fall off. I made several stops on the way home to make sure the wheel was still secure. I feel blessed to make it home as the wheel started to bind when I hit the driveway. After talking to several mechanics, they have seen this issue alot. The repair will cost somewhere between $3,000 to $4,000. Apparently the axle seal blew without warning and now this has chewed up the gears inside and destroyed the housing. The mechanics simply suggested to buy the entire rear axle and replace. They also stated the original design was piss-poor. Of course, this happens after placing $2,000 replacing the exhaust manifolds that were under warranty for 80,000 miles and 10 years old. Mine were 11 years old and the truck had 79,000 miles on it. The local garage said there was nothing they could do to help. It was more than 10 years old. I would hope there is something you could do to make the manufacturer liable for this expensive repair. Thanks for your time.

- New Creek, WV, USA

Aug 102015

Trying to accelerate from a stop at crossroads to go right onto a roadway with high speed vehicles approaching. My rear end made a loud bang and back end seemed to lock up or skip and couldn't get going - nearly rear ended by vehicles on roadway while trying to enter as couldn't get going. Took to Nissan dealer and apparently rear end spider gears gone. 71K on vehicle, changed rear diff. Fluid to Nissan recommended type at 35K, no towing, no hard driving, and less than 1 hour total lifetime use of 4X4.

- Provo, UT, USA

May 162013

When driving my rear end making loud knocking noises.. it is not gernaded yet but it only a matter of time. Havent been driving it be cause of further ware of saftey issues.

- Clifton, CO, USA

Mar 122015

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I had just pulled out of the driveway at work into traffic.I heard a loud pop and my rear end started having large bangs and I lost almost all power. I was almost hit by multiple cars. I managed to get off the road and call to have it towed. Thankfully I had 400 miles left on my warranty covered the entire new rear axle that was required.. the dealer said they wouldn't have even though this is a known safety issue!!! my front differential is also slowly going out but isn't bad enough for the warranty to cover it.

- Tolleson, AZ, USA

Feb 222015

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The front driver side axle is popping out of the front differential housing. This should not be happening especially after it has already been fixed once. There is an obvious defect in the Nissan Titan front final drive assembly starting from 2004 as there are many similar complaints on the internet on many of the Nissan Titan forums. I will be bringing the vehicle in for servers to the dealer and hopefully they will assist in cost of this major malfunction. Again, this should not be happening to this vehicle as it does not get much heavy use. No towing and hardly ever uses the 4 wheel drive.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA

Jun 222009

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

At 55,000 miles the rear axle seals failed on my 2004 Nissan Titan. The seal failure caused a leak which saturated the rear brake apparatus and reduced its holding ability. I reported this to my local Nissan dealer and it was repaired under warranty. I was told that an upgraded rear axle was installed to address the root cause of the premature seal failure. At 138,000 miles the rear axle seals have failed again despite regular fluid changes, and the rear brake apparatus is once again soiled with gear lube. I believe this constitutes a safety hazard and should be addressed as a recall. The dealer refuses to repair under warranty and states that there is no recall. Based on my research, this is a very widespread failure on the Nissan Titan and there are thousands of other Titan owners in the U.S. with the same problem.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 202013

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Transmission fluid diluted with anti -freeze from faulty radiator /tranny cooler Nissan needs to address this problem it is a stall issue, a safety issue, its an expensive repair, and not uncommon.

- Bowlus, MN, USA

Nov 012014

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Front differential failed. Many reports online suggest a common failure. Cost over $2100 to fix. Parts have been redesigned so manufacturer is aware of the problem and will only guarantee a full differential replacement.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Oct 212010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Both exhaust manifolds have developed cracks and leaks. Nissan refused to repair if not within 70K warranty.

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 062014

Rear axel seals leak causing rear differential oil on wheels, rotors and brake pads. Could lead to a complete brake failure on rear two wheels due to oil.

- Saint George, UT, USA

Nov 232013

While using 4WD my front axle popped out of the front differential. Luckily I was offroad and going slow. After researching the issue I see it is a common complaint and can lead to catastrophic front differential failure ( if retaining clip is ejected and gets between gears) causing the front end to temporarily lock up. Again luckily I was going slow. But this is to common an issue and something that can cause a lapse in control of the vehicle, this needs to be addressed.

- Hazelhurst, WI, USA

Feb 032014

I was driving up an icy incline on a side road with the 4 wheel drive engaged and the front differential failed. The vehicle lost traction and almost hit other cars and pedestrians. This is the second failure to occur on the front differential on this vehicle.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Sep 022014

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

This will be the 3rd rear differential on this truck. The first blew on warranty at approx 10K miles. Now with 56K miles the 2nd dana rear axle has blown. I don't off road and tow only a motorcycle trailer. This is obscene, time consuming and very costly ($3,630) to fix and days waiting away from home. This isn't right.

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Aug 242014

Titan 8-cyl

When trying to backup the truck the column gear shifter moved into reverse but the vehicle was still moving forward. Fortunately I didn't run over anyone but it could have easily happened in a busy parking lot. The gear shifter was moving up and down into every position but it was continuously engaged in drive. I drove home and parked. The shifter is still moving up and down; the gear indicator shows that the transmission is in "D" - drive but the vehicle is rolling as if it was in neutral and can't be started. There is a Nissan recall no. RU403 but Nissan says my truck is not affected.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 072014

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle seals were leaking, had replaced, began leaking again almost immediately.

- Eubank , KY, USA

May 222014

Driving down a main road when I felt an odd vibration coming from under my feet. Pulled over immediately to see that my axle shaft has pulled out of the differential. After getting the vehicle home I researched online to find hundreds of the same problem. The front differential on these trucks is and will always be a safety issue until they decide to recall the problem. Nissan definitely knows this differential is not strong enough for the engine. Needs to be recalled before more people get injured!

- Aurora, CO, USA