2004 Nissan Titan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Titan:

2004 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 132011

I received a factory recall notice for an engine control module relay that can cause engine performance issues. I made an appointment for the recall for today 04/13/2011. When I got to the dealer ( North dartmouth, MA Nissan dealership) I was told the recall could not be done because the check engine light was on and that in order to correct that there would be a $127 charge. So much for free recall!!

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Jan 212011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I live in the cold northeast and have to warm my vehicle before I drive to work. My truck is a 2004 Nissan Titan SE with 79K miles on it. I brushed the vehicle off and started it turning the defroster to high and turning on the side mirror defrosters as well. I went back inside to grab the rest of my stuff for work and was inside for approximately 5 minutes. When I came back outside I was surprised to see the drivers side of my truck on fire. Fire engulfed the drivers side mirror and the dripping plastic was burning up the side of the truck. I returned inside and grabbed a fire extinguisher and was able to get the fire out. Luckily my vehicle was far enough away from the garage as to not be a concern as to burning down my house. I was shocked to see that the mirror defrost switch was still active and had not tripped any fuses. I immediately turned the switch to the off position and the light went out. This just happened this morning and I have not repaired the trouble as yet. The mirror of course is totally destroyed and the paint on the drivers side is damaged. I am writing this out of concern for the safety of the public as this could have easily evolved into a full blown house fire.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Jan 052011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Called Nissan about my recall to tell them we haven dealer in our area. That we would have to travel over 70 miles one way and could we have a local service take care of recall and they would be reimburse. They said that I would have to take it to a dealer. I don't understand with is recall (ECM) my vehicle could stop at any time, why would I want to travel over 70 miles. How can I get Nissan to pay my local serv person who is only 4 miles.

- Eagle River, WI, USA

Oct 012010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Several times in the past month while driving on the highway the truck has stalled followed by a loud thud from the transmission - all of the dash lights come on, and the vehicle restarts, but the transmission does not engage for several seconds and only one gear is available until the vehicle is shut off and restarted. Also have had some problems starting the vehicle since the first 2 occurrences on the highway. Replacing the ipdm as this is a known issue with the vehicle. This is a very unsafe problem that needs to be corrected immediately.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Sep 012010

Just driving down the road the brake light comes on in the dash and the brake pedal goes to floor. You have very little brakes and it makes a grinding noise. If you turn off the vehicle it goes away. It has happened three times in the last year or so. Im taking it to a Nissan dealer next week and they say its going to cost me 100 dollars to reprogram the computer. I have read hundreds of reports of other people having the same problem. If its that big of a problem shouldn't there be a recall on this and Nissan have to pay for it?

- Lucernemines, PA, USA

Jul 292010

My 2004 Nissan Titan caught fire and burned to the ground on 7/29/10 at 4:30pm. It all started as I was backing up and I noticed an electrical burning smell. I looked down and saw smoke and inspected it closer and noticed that the smoke was blooming from an electrical component which appeared to be the computer. I took some video of it as proof of what was going on not knowing that my truck would be engulfed in flames minutes later. The video is clear that it was manufacturer defect. I tried to stop it by disconnecting the battery but that was not successful. Later my fire inspector said it was Nissan BCM that failed! he was very happy had the video otherwise he would have never been able to identify. He said the video is really clear and apparent what happened. Nissan never recalled just sent service bulletins. My insurance may cover the remainder of the loan but that does not put me another vehicle. I have contacted Nissan on this matter and they say there is nothing they can do to let my insurance deal with it, which I explained above how that does not work for me. I feel like this is Nissan fault and they should help me but they are not. Apparently I need to hire an attorney that deals with fire and I have been informed that this is very expensive, which I can not afford. I told Nissan I had the video but they did not care. You would think after all the Toyota incidents that they may help especially since I had the video of proof and they did not. I have sent the video and all pictures I have to my insurance company as well but all they will probably get is the money they paid for loan. So my insurance company is covered but I'm left out to dry. Please read this part. The fire inspector for my insurance company and an outside independent fire inspector have concluded it was the BCM ( body control module). Nissan knew of the problem but just sent out service letters and not recalls. My insurance will be pursuing Nissan as well !

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jun 202010

Titan 8-cyl

While pulling my boat to the lake yesterday at approximately 65 mph on the interstate with my 2004 Titan 4X4 king cab (mileage approximately 78,000), the ABS, slip, and vdc lights illuminated. Before I could reach an exit to pull off, the engine shut down. This happened within a matter of less than 3 minutes. I was able to pull to the side of the interstate but the engine would not re-fire. Upon inspection, I noticed smoke pouring from rear passenger wheel well. I got all occupants out of the truck and when I returned seconds later, I spotted a fire coming from the wiring harness just where it goes over the frame rail in the rear passenger wheel well. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher on the boat and was able to put the fire out before causing major damage to the truck, my family or passers-by. I have had the vehicle towed to the dealership to be inspected and they "believe" a new wiring harness will fix the problem although they have "no idea" how a fire could have happened. A "belief" that the problem is fixed is not comforting.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Feb 272010

About 3 months ago my wife was driving on a side road doing 25-35 mph and her 2004 Nissan Titan cc suddenly lost power and then engine shut off. She came to a stop and the truck restarted immediately. On Feb 26th, 2010 my wife was at a friends house and the truck would not start. She had given me the wrong description of what happened to the truck I thought it was just a dead battery. So I jump started the truck and it fired right up so I replaced the battery. On Feb 27th, 2010 my wife and I were sitting at a stoplight and the truck's engine just shut off without warning. The engine would not restart and this caused a major traffic jam and we were almost hit my multiple vehicles. Luckily a couple bystanders helped direct traffic and helped push the truck off the road. The truck would not start and nothing else was visibly wrong such as battery or any other common items. After approximately 10 minutes the truck started right up with no problems. After much research online through multiple Nissan Titan forums it came top my attention that this was a common problem that has been known about by owners for some time. The intelligent power distribution module (ipdm) in the truck were faulting causing the ECM relay on the truck to stop working. The short term fix for this was to replace the relay. The long term fix for this is to replace the ipdm. So I replaced the ipdm and have not seen a problem since. When I went to the parts counter at korum Nissan in puyallup to pick up my $178 part I asked how many people have ordered this part. I was told by there parts rep mike that he has sold a lot of these units for various reasons. He said it was a common known issue by the parts reps and the service reps. What I don't understand is how such a thing could be known so well but no safety recall has happened. My problems were relatively minor compared to others who have experienced such problems at high speeds where death or injury could occur.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 052009

Brakes go into in ABS mode for no reason, truck becomes hard to stop; road conditions were dry- 80 degrees and sunny. I was coming home from the Nissan dealer because of a brake, slip, vdc light (anytime) and brake light - ABS coming on (only during braking), both are intermittent. The Friday before I had Nissan look at this very condition(s) they agreed I had a problem, and upgraded the software. 2 days later the light still came on and stayed on. The only difference was after shutting down the truck and restarting, the lights would stay on, something that did not use to happen... Nissan has a brake issue, I've seen many of complaints that are the same as mine- loss of braking because the ABS kicks on (brake light comes on when this happens) and will not correct/stop it-self until the engine is shut down and restarted. Restarting the truck when the ABS is hampering the stopping ability is not very practical, and very dangerous in most driving conditions. When this happened to me I came very close to hitting the car in front and swerved to the edge of the road. Since the 2nd visit to Nissan I had the master cylinder with stability control option replaced, that was the dealership recommendation after they downloaded the codes(X2), they stated the part had to be ordered. Cost for repair was quoted at $650.

- New Vienna, OH, USA

Mar 162009

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Titan. While driving approximately 5 mph on normal road conditions, the exhaust tail pipe was damaged due to an unknown obstacle on the road surface. The vehicle resumed normal operation. In addition, whenever the driver's side door was opened, the parking light activated without assistance and the driver's side turn signal was nonfunctional. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the tail pipe disengagement contributed to the melting of the wiring harness. The vehicle is operable and has not been repaired. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure and current mileages were 65,000.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Sep 042007

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The vdc, brake, and slip warning lights came on and remain on. Unable to ascertain any other impact at this time. An appointment with the dealer is pending.

- Fort Leavenworth, KS, USA

Sep 272005

Titan 8-cyl

While the contact's husband was driving 70 mph the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was taken to the dealership, and they found there was a problem with a computer chip. The dealership reprogrammed the computer without the keys. Within 30 days, the vehicle turned itself off while going 70 mph. There were no warning lights when this happened. Once the vehicle came to a complete stop was able to turn it back on. The vehicle is currently at the dealership and they are going to reprogram the computer with the keys.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 142005

Titan 4WD

The vehicle the atsc light came on and it lost power. The consumer pulled over to the side of the road, waited for 2 minutes and the computer restarted. The transmission just seemed to to slow down. The dealer found no defects and could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle also smelled of antifreeze, and the switch from high beam to low beam turns all the lights off.

- Moore, OK, USA

Sep 232004

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle fails to start. Has happened on 3 occasions in past 7 days. Date below is first occurrence. When ignition switch is turned to start all appears normal except starter does not engage. When ignition is turned to on, headlights come on regardless of position of headlight switch. When ignition is turned to acc or off, headlamps will not light regardless of position of light switch. Dealer has diagnosed first as loss of security chip programming, second as poor ground connection. Repair attempts unsuccessful thus far.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Sep 302004

Titan 8-cyl

When window was all the way down, tried to roll it up, it acted like it wanted to come up but didn't move. Turned off vehicle, and tried again a couple times before it would come up. This has happenend on numerous occasions. Also have premium sound system (rockford) radio recption and sound quality is worst I have ever heard in any vehicle, something needs done about this.

- Alliance, OH, USA

Jul 012004

Titan 8-cyl

Whilke driving the vdc, slip and emergency brake light come on. This is an intermittient problem. I went to the dealer, quality Nissan in temecula California, only to get blown off, told come in when the light is on. I paid for a full warranty 100K miles and I am considered a preferred customer, right!. when the lights come on the truck seems to lose power, which is a chacteristic of the vdc system. The problem cones and goes.

- Temecula, CA, USA

May 102004

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The rf stereo fades from stereo to mono, and has very low sound output. The aux input also has a very low noticeable sound level output in comparison to cd player. Contacted Nissan and stated they had no idea of the problem---shady if you ask me. The sound package cost $1800 dollars, but the simple radio sounds like a five dollar stereo. Also the sytsem is supposed to be made by rockford fosgate, but the amplifier is labeled made by clarion, the subwooofer is labeled made by clarion, and the headunit/changer is labeled made by panasonic. I am a little concerned as this is the reason I bought the package as it was supposed to made by a quality manufacturer like fosgate

- Sacramento, CA, USA