2005 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Titan:

2005 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Mar 282013

Titan 8-cyl

Rear differential failure, leaking transmission cooler line, left rear shock failure. Dealer cost to perform repairs quoted at $ $4,100. Chose not to repair, dealer accepted vehicle as part of trade-in for 2013 Nissan Titan. I would have driven this vehicle much longer if repair costs had not been so high.

- Maurice, LA, USA

Apr 272013

Titan 8-cyl

Right and left rear axle seals leaking. Common problem, expensive to fix! I have already replaced left rear seal once at 50,000 miles. Now both are leaking at 77,000 miles!

- Grove City , OH, USA

Apr 092008

Front drive axel came out of differential while traveling at highway speed on slick road causing sudden loss of four wheel drive and loss of traction. Very dangerous situation. This is the second time this has happened, once in 2008 and again in 2013.

- Wood, SD, USA

Mar 042013

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Nissan Titan le 2005 4X4. The rear differential failed. The rear seal failed and caused damage to the ring & pinion gears. The rear end smells burned and leaked fluid all over the undercarriage. Upon doing research of the Nissan Titan truck, this is a common problem of the rear ends failing. It is a very expensive repair. Nissan is aware of the failures. They have been selective regarding repairs. They sometimes fix out of warranty failures though there are many trucks both under warranty and out of warranty with failing rear ends.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Mar 082013

Titan 8-cyl

Front drivers side axle popped out of differential and began leaking. Problem occurred when turning the wheel into a driveway. Have read several people having this issue and the problem well known with the manufacturer. Problem should be recalled and fixed.

- Smallwood, NY, USA

Nov 242012

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan. On thanksgiving evening my family and I were driving home on a major highway when all of a sudden I heard a clunk and lost acceleration. I was in the middle of the highway and had to cross 3 lanes to try and get over to the shoulder. We nearly got hit by many passing cars due to the immediate loss of power and slowing of my truck. After finally towing the truck to the shop I found out that, for the second time, the rear differential went out. The first time was at 75000 miles and the second at 125000 miles. Both times I am stuck footing the bill. Needless to say my only mode of transportation is still sitting broken until I am able to pay the 3500 dollars to get it fixed.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 122011

Took my truck to the dealership several times and told them that my manual shifter was intermittent. They said they could not find anything wrong with it. But when I left the dealership it was not working. It finally stop working at all. Took it back to the dealership and they found a broken ground wire. The cost of the part $413 labor $375. I did not get it repaired because of the cost. I went online and researched it and found it for $253 and putting it in would be easy for myself. After a couple of hours on research on how to install this, I came across several sections of people with the same problem. Come to find out Nissan is aware of this problem. Being that over time shifting gears made the wires break. How is it that certified repair centers don't keep up on these problems. I spent a lot of time going back and forth to the dealership. And why isn't Nissan covering the problem. I'm very disappointed in Nissan for this and has made me change my mind about my next vehicle purchase.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Dec 012012

Axle seal failure resulting in oil on the inside of both rear wheels and oil soaking rear brakes rendering rear brakes useless.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Jul 012010

The rear end was replaced before I bought the truck and just 3 years later I had to have the left rear axle seal replaced and now im having to replace the right side axle seal. Im not too sure that its not damaged the rear end itself. I had a case number with Nissan North America but because of the time its been out of warranty they wont replace anything. There are too many people who are having the same problem with theirs for there not to be something done about it. These seals should not be going out that quick.

- London , KY, USA

Oct 302012

Titan 8-cyl

Originally heard a light noise on deceleration. Was unsure of origin or severity but suspected brake wear. Noise changed over the course of a month and on final trip into nearby shop for diagnostics it had grown much louder while decelerating. Shop suspected rear axle seal leak and differential failure. Had truck flatbed towed to nearby Nissan dealership and they found little evidence of leak and plenty of fluid. Yet the differential had failed entirely. They suspected a ring and pinion failure though they didn't crack open the case as parts/labor make repair prohibitively costly. After checking salvage prices they recommended a full replacement with a new Nissan axle. I was lucky because apparently this kind of differential failure can lock up the rear wheels while driving at speed causing a very dangerous situation. This truck is primarily driven around town. It's never driven off-road and never towed anything nor carried large loads - it's been babied. Seals and differentials should not prematurely fail in a lightly driven, well-maintained vehicle which was designed and promoted for heavy duty use.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Nov 062012

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axel seal is leaking for the third time, which can compromise the rear brakes with axel fluid. Nissan made the first repair at 30,000 miles under warranty. I paid for parts and made repairs myself the second time. Now at the third I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, and they have refused, with no explanation, to help with this repair, even though they issued an internal service bulletin in 2010, to replace the complete axel with bearing and seal. So Nissan is aware that they have an issue with the early model Titans. I guess they are waiting for someone to be seriously injured or die before they address this issue.

- Morriston, FL, USA

Nov 022012

Titan 8-cyl

Left side rear wheel, axle seal leaking onto brake disc. Diagnosed when I had new tires installed.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Oct 262012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

While driving my truck home from work, I noticed the sound of the exhaust became progressively louder. I parked the truck for the night. Prior to leaving the next morning I tried to locate the source of the increased noise. However, I noticed after starting the vehicle the noised would decrease. Therefore, I took the truck to my mechanic for diagnosis. He told me that the header on one side is cracked and the other header on the other-side shows signs of stress. Also, he explained this a common issue with the Nissan Titan and I might want to explore my repair option with the local Nissan dealership. However, after discussing this issue with the Nissan dealership, I was told there is no recall for the notorious issue and the cost of the repair is my responsibility. Upon hearing this, I decide I would lodge my complaint about this issue here.

- Lebanon, CT, USA

Sep 172012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan pickup. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle it started sputtering and ran out of fuel on the highway. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated there was a recall NHTSA campaign id number: 10V074000 (fuel system, other: Storage: Fuel gauge system). The contact mentioned that after having the recall repairs performed, strong fumes continued to emit in and around the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate pass 40 mph. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer in three different occasions within the week to repair the fuel system. The dealer repaired the fuel level sender and the ECM relay. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Acushnet, MA, USA

Sep 072012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle braking began to deteriorate so I checked each wheel, front and back. While inspecting the rear brake pads and rotors I noticed oil on both. Upon further inspection I noticed that the rear axle seal on both sides was leaking oil and it had gotten on the rotors and pads. I replaced both rotors and all pads on the rear, and inspected the rear axle vent which I found plugged. I installed a new vent but the rear axle seals are still leaking and need to be replaced. In doing research on the problem I found it to be common on this vehicle.

- Monkton, MD, USA

Aug 282012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Rear differential spider gears broke apart, leaving me with no power to drive train or ability to accelerate.

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Aug 012012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. While driving approximately 55 mph, there was a loud bang heard from the transmission as the vehicle failed to shift gears. The contact was able to continue driving and the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was determined that the overdrive and third gears would not operate. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 9/13/12

- Powthan, VA, USA

Jul 272012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Rear right axle seal began to leak on 5/14/12 was about to get fixed -kept diff full- (second time happened)... on 7/27/12 rear spider gears broke causing the right rear wheel to drag across the pavement in a parking lot. This has been a common occurrence with 04-07 offroad Titans with the locking rear diff. If this failure happened on the highway and the rear wheels were to have stopped moving it could have caused a crash. Nissan has since redesigned the rear end but this should be a recall for safety concerns.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Aug 032012

Got in my truck to go to work today and while turning right out of my driveway the engine revved up and I was going no where. I let off the gas and as the motor RPM came down there was a loud bang and the vehicle jumped forward. Continued down the road about 200ft and turned around. Parked the truck. Checked the fluid. Metal shavings and chunks inside with plenty of fluid. Also noticed a leaking rear wheel seal on the drivers side. This truck only has 78000 miles on it. Absolutely unacceptable Nissan.

- Marysville, OH, USA

Jun 302012

Titan 8-cyl

Was leaving a parking lot and when turning to the left felt a bump like something had been run over.drove home and felt bump several more times when turning left only. Removed fill plug and saw pieces on metal on drain plug magnet. Had vehicle towed to dealer and was told axle had failed and needed to be replaced.vehicle gave no warning signs and had all scheduled service done.

- Greenville , SC, USA