2005 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Titan:

2005 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

May 212010

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle on my Nissan Titan is leaking differential fluid all over my brakes for the 3rd time. It is evident that the Nissan setup is not doing a good job (bad seals or bad venting causing pressure to destroy the seals. This is a safety issue because the oil seeps onto the brakes once the seals have let go.

- Escondido, CA, USA

May 252010

Titan 4WD

Nissan Titan 2005 4X4 64,400 miles the rear differential started jerking and popping. Took the Nissan dealer and they said that the rear differential spider gears failed and the entire rear end would have to be replaced. The cost was $3200. This truck is my wife's regular diver and she Transport the kids to school in if this had happened at high speed it could have been very dangerous.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

May 172010

Titan 8-cyl

I had driven from my college to my chiropractors office without any incidents. When leaving my chiropractors office I was backing out of parking stall with wheels turned to the right. All of a sudden there was a loud pop. Being a mechanic I thought that I might have ujoint issues. I climbed under and checked my driveline and everything was in good order. I then drove back to my college where I could get my truck onto a lift and check it out. In the 12 miles from the chiropractors office to the college it had progressed to the point of not being able to drive. It would bind when turning left and drag wheels as thought limited slip was out. Or when turning to the left it would sound as though someone had taken a 20 pound sledge hammer and hit the tail shaft of the transmission. The rear axle seals and bearings were replaced at 50,000mi under factory warranty. After reviewing many claims on this differential this was an indication as to the rear diff going out. Currently I have 67,000mi on it and on the dealer level they are not willing to replace. Have a phone interview with a Nissan North America district rep tomorrow and hope to have this cleared up. If not the quote to get a new rear end assembly, since you cannot just order the pumpkin, is $3400. I see that there is a huge issue with this and hope that Nissan will take care of this. My truck is a 2005 Nissan Titan le crew cab 4X4 with offroad and tow package. No mods have been done to truck with exception of putting on nerf bars. Everything else is what Nissan sent it out the doors with. Thank you

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 232010

Titan 8-cyl

Truck started making clunk noise 5 months ago every one in a while I thought it was stuff in the bed of the truck. Last night I was turning a corner is made a the clunk noise and every turn I took under power made the clunk noise and when I start from a stop on wet driving surfaces.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Apr 032010

Titan 8-cyl

While driving on the freeway, I had a sudden loss of acceleration, a loud thump under the vehicle and then thumping when I tried to accelerate again. After taking my Titan to a mechanic, he told me the rear differential was destroyed and needed to be replaced.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Mar 012010

Titan 8-cyl

Loud roar from rear of truck. Once it started it got worse over a short period of time. Carried to dealer and was told rear end gear failure. Dealer replaced rear end. I called Nissan because only 10,000 out of warranty but turned down. If rear end had went out at speed this could be very dangerous...Nissan needs to repair these trucks!

- Brownsboro, AL, USA

Mar 172010

2005 Titan 4X4 truck. I had a new set of tires put on my truck. The tire shop noticed fluid leaking onto the back plate of the brake on the right rear of my truck. I took it to my mechanic and he said it was gear lube leaking out of the axle seal and contaminated the E-brake and pads for that wheel. He also had to change the bearing because it was pressed on between the seal.

- Ft. Mohave, AZ, USA

Oct 282007

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Jan 262010

While driving heard a clanking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle, at times from a standing still position the vehicle as you try to go will slip and you will hear clanking noises from the rear and the vehicle will jerk. Vehicle was taken to local mechanic and diagnosed as having a defective differential.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jan 102010

Have a Nissan 4X4 Titan. Bought it new. For the second time the rear end locked up breaking the drive shaft. Good thing this happened at minimal speed. This is extremely dangerous. Nissan repaired the first time due to our extended warranty. They should be liable because they must know the repair they do will fail again. These vehicles with all their problems should not be on the road in my opinion.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 052009

Front axle on drivers side locked up and made me run off of the path. The dealership is saying they will not fix it.

- Surry, VA, USA

Nov 152009

I own a 2005 Nissan Titan while driving down the road the rear end started popping and lost power. Truck has 62000 miles on it. I don't tow anything with it. I took truck to the dealer, they stated this is a common problem, dealer wanted $3500 to replace the entire rear end ! if so many trucks made by Nissan are having the same issue why have you not made them recall this item. The rear end in this truck is dangerous, if it hasn't already it will get someone hurt or killed.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Sep 162007

Rear end differential fluid leak.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Dec 152008

2005 Nissan Titan 4X4 front axle failure. The four wheel drive is inoperable ar a result of a known design flaw in this vehicle.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 202009

2005 Titan, 36,000 miles rear seal failure, leaking fluid on rear brakes.

- St James, NY, USA

Jul 202008

I was at a gas station filling my truck. I placed it into reverse and the rear differential broke causing me to only be able to drive my truck at 20 mph at 5000 RPM. I called greg at prg products and he informed me that the 2004 and 2005 Nissan Titans had a defective rear differential. Based on the number of Titans with faulty rear differentials there should be a recall on this item.

- Loganton, PA, USA

Sep 142009

Pulling out of parking spot. Loud noise heard along with clunking feeling in rear of vehicle.

- Tuckerton, NJ, USA

Sep 102009

Rear end seals and axles leaking and corrosion on a 2005 Nissan Titan.

- Webb City, MO, USA

Aug 042009

Rear went out of 2005 Nissan Titan. Was preceded by clunking, vibration. Right rear axle seal was replaced by dealer prior and under warranty for leaking at approx. 48K miles. Nissan will not replace the rear since it is over on the mileage by 12K miles even though it had to have work done to it while it was under warranty. Nothing has been to it, it sits.

- Elizabeth, WV, USA

Aug 252009

1. casual driving/limited towing 2. electronic slip diff failure 3. still at shop currently looking at $3,800 bill to fix.

- Jackson, WI, USA