2005 Nissan Titan miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Titan:

2005 Nissan Titan Owner Comments

Oct 012015

2005 Nissan Titan, the heater works intermittently, the fan blows fine along with the A/C, it doesn't make a difference if the truck is moving or stationary.there is a clicking in the dash when I switch the control from, floor to dash or from defrost to floor, etc. I purchased this truck in 2015, but assume it has been a previous problem.

- Montrose, CO, USA

Apr 122011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

In April 2011 my rear axle seals on my Nissan Titan were leaking. I had these seals replaced with genuine Nissan parts. Not even 11 months later, I was coming home from camping, and at approx 45 mph I heard a loud pop, and metal on metal in my rear wheels. I immediately pulled over and found a mechanic within.2 of a mile. He told me that my rear axles seals failed, blew out the bearings, and the only thing holding my wheel on was the rear brake caliper. I had to have the truck towed to Nissan, and have a whole new rear axle assembly installed ($4000). There have been many complaints to Nissan about these rear axles failing, starting with the seals....the service manager has seen many of these trucks come in for new rear axles. There are numerous complaints online from Nissan owners as well. Nissan is aware of this defect, but will not fix the problem. If I didn't pull over immediately, my wheel might have fallen off (according to the mechanic). I'm asking for someone to look into this before someone dies from this defect. Thank you.

- Falcon, CO, USA

Dec 242011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving our 2005 Nissan Titan approximately 15 mph when the rear differential failed. We were 30 seconds from getting on a major interstate. There was a loud "pop" sound and the truck jerked and seemed to slip out of gear and locked up. The truck was barely drivable. Our mechanic determined that it was the rear differential. When he called Nissan to order the parts to rebuild it, he was told by the Nissan parts distributor that because of "previous problems" with the differential, they only sell the entire differential part, not the individual components, the part alone was $2900. Our entire bill was $3800, and ofcourse we are out of warranty. We conducted research on this issue and found 80 complaints on this NHTSA website, countless consumer complaints on various websites, and even some court cases. Nissan clearly knows about this potentially life-threatening issue in the 2004 and 2005 models and has done nothing about it to protect consumers. We will be pursuing this with Nissan and will be taking legal action if necessary. Not sure why nothing has been done about this especially given all the complaints out there. NHTSA should look into this issue as this defect is very dangerous and could cause a fatal accident (if it hasn't already). Shame on you Nissan.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA

May 292009

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle seals, locks, & gaskets need to be replaced and the dealer is charging approx. $800 to fix the problem. The oil is leaking onto the wheels from the axle problem. The switch for the driver controlled windows is out and the air pressure light comes on almost 80% of the time. The driver seat belt appears to jam and won't come undone or latch on most of the time.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 272011

I was having an issue with my engine stalling with around 97,900 miles on my 2005 Nissan Titan. At this time, my check engine light also came on. I took it to the dealership to get the problem code read and they said I had faulty bank 1 and bank 2 catalytic converters. The dealer said the stalling was due to a recall, NHTSA campaign id number: 10V517000. My complaint is that I had no problem with my catalytic converters until this recall issue. Since my catalytic converters and exhaust manifold are one piece, it cost $2,827.28 to have them replaced and I do not feel I should have to pay this, since this problem stemmed from their recall issue.

- Laurel, DE, USA

Jun 012011

The axle seals leak intermittingly on both the driver and passenger side, rear axle. Gear oil leaks out and coats the backside of the brake/wheel assembly. This is the second incident on the driver side. The first time it was fixed under warranty at approximately 20000 miles. The passenger side axle seals were fixed under warranty at approximately 25000 miles.

- Emporia, KS, USA

Jan 212011

I take very good care of my truck, have had it since it was new. Was going down town, stopped at a stop sign, started to go, turn, and it made this awful loud noise in the back. When I stopped, it did it again, when I went to pull into a parking space, it acted as if it didnt want to move. I checked the wheel and they were all ok it was dark and I couldnt see under it. Left there, and the noise was getting worse. Went straight home which was about 6 miles. The next morning I got up and called Nissan and they couldnt get it in until 5 days later, I told them there was something really wrong. Got in the truck and was going to les schwab to see if they could check it. Stopped to get me a coffee, backing out of the parking space, the truck acted as if it didnt want to move, sounded and felt as if the back tires were trying to lock up. I called Nissan back because I needed to make appt to get service done anyway. The guy at Nissan said they had a cancelation and to bring the truck in. I took the back roads, worried something might really happen if I took the freeway, so I took it slow, all the way the noise was getting worse. I got to Nissan, the guy pulled it up in the bay, and it made the noise, really loud. He got out said something really wrong. The rear axle had broke inside in little pieces. $2800 to fix it. Was so upset, no family to borrow a car, no money to fix it. The guy at Nissan told me not to worry, would call Nissan Corp Monday see what he could do. He agreed that the way I take care of my truck and the miles on it, shouldnt have happened. Also the seals were leaking. I went on line and found several complaints about the rear axle, seals, differental breaking on the 04, 05, and 06 Titans guy at Nissan told me that after a few years of building Titans they had to totallly rebuild the rear axle and I would have a totally different one. Nissan should step up.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Jan 162011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Front differential failure on a 2005 Nissan Titan with under 37000 miles. Dealer cost to repair is $1800. Internet search indicates it is a common problem with a known weak part that has since been upgraded. Nissan knows about the issue but refuses to issue a safety or technical bulletin.

- Lindon, UT, USA

Nov 292010

At only 60,755 miles I experienced a rear axle seal leak which affected my ability to apply my emergency parking brake. The fluid had leaked so bad that it covered the emergency brake rotor, preventing it from holding.

- Houston, TX, USA