2008 Nissan Titan wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Titan:

2008 Nissan Titan Owner Comments

Aug 262011

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan titian. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed that the tire pressure warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a local tire shop where the technician stated there was a failure in the front passenger side rim which caused the light to illuminate. The dealer then referred the contact to the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 102011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

This is a 2-part incident, the first incident happened last fall, 2010. During a service visit to a reputable local automotive shop, it was discovered that a lug stud on the right rear wheel was missing. The stud was broken off. It was replaced and considered a mysterious but benign incident. Returning from an 1200 mile road trip last week, I took my Titan in for an oil change to the same automotive shop. They informed me that 4 of the 6 lug nuts were missing. Upon further inspection, they were all broken off about a 1/4" from the axle wheel mount - on the same right rear wheel. The missing studs were in the 10, 12, 2 and 6 O'clock positions - the only 2 remaining studs that prevented a catastropic accident involving my son and me were in the 4 and 8 O'clock positions! it is nothing short of a miracle that we were not involved in a deadly crash!! one of the two remaining studs holding the wheel on the axle was one replaced previously last fall. I had aired up the tires the night before I left on this trip and did not notice any missing lug nuts. Clearly this was not a theft attempt for two reasons: A) why would someone who could simply unscrew the lugs nuts instead, with great effort, twist them off the wrong direction...and for what purpose? and B) twice in six months on the same wheel? internet research reveals several other incidents of broken lug studs, everyone seeming to attribute it to an odd, one-off incident. It is my option that the studs are defective and a result of stress fatigue. One post on a Nissan forum sited someone who actually found a crack in one of the studs that had not yet broken off. I strongly urge an investigation into this situation - someone is going to die as a result of it. I am also going to seek to have Nissan replace all the studs on my truck although I expect they will refuse leaving it to me to do it at my own cost.

- Austin, TX, USA