2007 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Versa:

2007 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012013

Versa

Vehicle was in motion on a highway when it unexpectedly started shaking and sliding/skidding from side to side ending in a crash. Furthermore, malfunctioning airbags resulted in severe cuts, bruises and other injuries to face and other body parts.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Sep 052016

Versa

After driving on the highway we parked the car. We noticed a portion of broken coil spring lying under the front passenger tire. After investigation we found this was a portion of the bottom of the front suspension coil. I checked the front driver side and found the bottom of the coil is broken, but has not yet fallen from the suspension mount. I checked the NHTSA site and learned there was a recall for the front coils (NHTSA recall 15V-573). I called Nissan and they told me this recall does not apply to our VIN, it is limited to cars sold/registered on the East coast. This car as originally in ca, then went to wa, then germany before it was recently brought to md. This car has not been in an accident, nor driven over rough terrain; so it is hard to comprehend how both coils would have cracked. The noted recall defect of żinsufficient corrosion coatingż it listed as only applicable to East coast cars; but this incident seems to point to it being a broader manufacturing defect.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

May 312015

Versa

I was driving at approximately 5-10 mph on a slight downward slope when the vehicle suddenly made a loud noise, the vehicle was jarred, and the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. After exiting the vehicle, I found the front passenger tire had come off from the suspension, and it was misaligned and sticking out at an angle. In addition, there were shattered pieces of vehicle parts on the ground. The vehicle was resting only on three tires. Luckily the vehicle stopped rather than rolling down the slope and colliding with several cars as well as people; however, the vehicle did have to be towed as it was not drive-able following the incident. The vehicle required over $640 worth of repairs including but not limited to the control arm, drive axle and shaft. Several months following the incident, Nissan opened a campaign specifically for corrosion of the front coil springs. The vehicle had been driven in Michigan from 2007 to summer 2012 where there is heavy snow and salt on the roads in the winter. From the summer 2012 to now, the vehicle has been driven in the DC metro area. I took the vehicle to a Nissan dealership in April 2016 to have the campaign completed, which was replacing the front coil springs. Upon inspection of the vehicle by Nissan, I was told that Nissan was unable to replace solely the front coil springs because they were unable to disassemble other parts needed to get to the coil springs due to other parts having significant damage from corrosion (ex. Strut, bearing, mount, etc.). as a result, multiple parts (not just the coil springs) had to be replaced.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 152016

Versa

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Versa. The contact received a recall notification for the suspension. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for the recall repair appointment and a mechanic made a general statement that a front end alignment was necessary before the recall repair would be completed. The contact was waiting for a response from the manufacturer to determine the solution to repair the vehicle concerning what the dealer stated. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The contact was not experiencing a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 112014

Versa

In 2014, my Versa's rf coil spring fractured. A large piece of it actually detached and fell onto the road as the car was being driven out of my driveway. I took it to a private garage and the spring and strut were replaced. In fall of 2015 I received the recall notice regarding this issue. In January 2016, I took the car to capital Nissan in wilmington, nc, where I now live, and I was told that in order for the recall to be completed, I would need to purchase a new rf and lf strut out of pocket because the existing struts are fused by corrosion to the mounts. Moreover, I was told by the Nissan recall center that I could not be reimbursed for the repairs I already had completed until I had the recall work completed. So, I am being held hostage by Nissan. They won't make good the repairs that the recall forces them to make unless I pay them more money and they won't reimburse me for repairs already made by me that were necessitated by the defect that led to the recall. This does not seem right to me and I am appealing to you for redress. I hope you can help me. I don't think your recall went far enough, by the way. Later in the summer of 2014, the repair facility to which I had taken the Versa for the strut was inspecting my car and informed me that the crossmember for the automatic transmission, as well as the lower right control arm, were corroded to the point of failure and needed to be replaced. I couldn't believe that the workmanship on this car could be so shoddy that parts would rust out in such a wholesale fashion - not until I received the recall notice. That repair cost me an additional $1600 (roughly, excluding tax). I can provide you with invoices for these repairs, if it will help you understand the problem and perhaps take a closer look at others' corrosion-related troubles with the Nissan Versa.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 312016

Versa

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V573000 (suspension) when the dealer found a rusted mount and bolt which prevented the vehicle from being able to be repaired. The dealer diagnosed the rusted mount and bolt needed to be replaced in order for the vehicle to receive the recall repair. The vehicle's bolt was not repaired or was the recall repair completed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,436.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Jan 242016

Versa

Pulling into driveway heard a loud pop and the front end went down. Found the front passenger side tire flat and a broken spring on the ground behind it. When the dealer was called about cost to fix we were told it is under recall. We had not been made aware of the recall and thankfully this did not happen at 70mph speed. Very concerned for those who are still driving these unaware of this hazard.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Dec 262015

Versa

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer under a recall for the clock spring; however, the cross mount fractured while attempting to retrieve the clock spring due to corrosion. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that they would not repair the vehicle. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Apr 052012

Versa

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Versa. While driving 50 mph, there was a loud clanking sound coming from the front driver side tire. The contact pulled over and noticed the coil spring on the ground under the front driver side tire. The contact immediately picked the spring up and drove the vehicle to a local mechanic who stated that the front driver and passenger side coil springs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V573000 (suspension) and contacted the manufacturer to be reimbursed for the repairs, but the claim was denied. The failure mileage was 115,537.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Sep 082015

Versa 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact heard a loud bang coming from the vehicle. The vehicle began to wobble and there was a rubbing sound that was heard when making left and right turns. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver's side coil spring had fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,500. The consumer stated the Nissan offered to replace both front springs at no charge and reimburse the amount for what was already repaired. Updated 2/1/2016

- Mankato, MN, USA

Aug 302015

Versa

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Versa. While driving 10 mph, the front passenger wheel detached from the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the lower control arm and axle fractured. As a result, both needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 61,800. MA 10/29/2015

- West New York, NJ, USA

Aug 042015

Versa

I own a 2007 Nissan Versa sl hatchback. I am the second owner. Purchased car with 78,000 miles. Car was pre-inspected before purchase. My certified master mechanic gave the car very high marks. At around the 96450 mileage mark, I noticed a creaking sound when turning steering wheel. My mechanic inspected it and determined my lower right ball joint needed repair. He also determined my left front driver coil spring was broken. I keep my car in very good working order and gently drive it around 10,000 miles per year since purchasing it. Not sure why these two items malfunctioned. I have noticed other Versa owners on the internet reporting similar problems. Thanks for looking into this.

- North Conway, NH, USA

Jul 252015

Versa

Front left coil spring broke while leaving parking spot; broken spring came to rest on tire (damaged). Looked online and lo and behold, Versas 2008-2010 are apparently being looked at for this. Mine is a 2007, but I want to put this out there so others know to have theirs checked out. Thank god I was going 5mph as I pulled out, not at 70mph.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 092012

Versa

Coil spring on passenger front broke while pulling out of parking lot. Broken coil rubbing on tire, but did not puncture. Coil spring replaced. On 03/12/2015 coil spring on driver front broke while pulling out of driveway. Mileage was 103124 at time of incident. Broken coil damaged strut such that entire assembly had to be replaced.

- Macedon, NY, USA

Mar 062015

Versa

In pulling out of my driveway in reverse, the front coil spring on the passenger side fractured. The driveway had a bit of snow cover, which I drove through. My mechanic assured me that level of resistance should not have caused the coil to fracture, rather he questioned whether a defect in the metallurgy might have caused the break. He examined the driver side coil as well and determined that it also was defective and replaced both. I appear to have had the same issue as owners of later model Versa cars.

- Brattleboro, VT, USA

May 182015

Versa

Driving in neighborhood very slow speed when front coil spring broke causing it to rupture the front tire (it popped). Luckily I was driving 25 mph or could have been a major problem. Saw on news today they have had over 130,000 complaints so far- this is obviously a defect, it is going to cost close to $1700 today to get it fixed.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jan 022015

Versa 4-cyl

Was driving down the street in my town going around 25 mph when it sounded as though I hit something, but looked back and didn't see anything. Heard a popping noise when I would turn right but then it went away, but the car felt funny when I drove it, so I took it into the dealer to get it checked out and discovered the passenger side has a broken coil spring. Did some research and discovered this is a very common issue with these cars, and I lucked out since many coil springs, when they break, often tear apart the tire, which if going at high speeds could cause a loss of control of the vehicle and cause a potentially serious/fatal accident.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Jan 092014

Versa 4-cyl

While driving, my right front suspension failed; spring cut into tire and had to be replaced along with both front coils; I checked the complaint register on the NHTSA site and noticed several similiar incidents mainly involving the right front springs. Most occur under low mileage on the vehicles. It would appear that a defective part was installed that year(2007) on Versa 1.8L vehicles.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Sep 022014

Versa

This vehicles hub caps all broke and fell off within 20K miles. Now at 50K miles the muffler is rusted and needs to be replaced. Repair shop says they see these verses all the time with the same issues.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 102014

Versa 4-cyl

Heard a clunk of metal from front right. Stopped the car and inspected the front and found right front spring had broken. If the spring had fallen off the perch there would have been loss of control!

- Ames, IA, USA