2008 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Versa:

2008 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 112015

Versa 4-cyl

Coil spring on drivers side broke causing a shake and allowing the car to drag when it should not of been able to...updated 11/05/15 the consumer stated the vehicle did mot steer properly after coil spring failure. Updated 1/8/2015

- Butler, PA, USA

Jun 252015

Versa 4-cyl

The front passenger side coil spring fractured while the car was in motion. I had been driving about 0.1 miles after a left turn and was traveling at a low rate of speed when the coil fractured and a section of the coil punctured and tore the inner wall of the tire causing a sudden tire failure. The sound of the fracture was very loud metal on metal sound, drawing people out from nearby buildings. The car was towed to the local dealership where new front coil springs were installed, the front passenger tire replaced and a front end alignment was performed.

- Pembroke, VA, USA

Jun 272015

I was driving on a small paved two lane highway at approximately 45 mph.I heard a loud noise and shortly after the tire blew out.this happened right before a small side road so I was able to turn onto that road so I wasn't on the highway.due to the flat tire and broken spring the car sat too low for the factory provided jack to fit under the car.I called my brother for assistance and he showed up with my nephew.they were able to lift up on the car just enough so that I could place the jack in the correct position.we put the factory donut spare tire on and I drove to warehouse tire...unfortunately they were just closing down for the day.I had four new tires installed the following Tuesday and then took the car to my mechanic.I picked the car up on July mechanic informed that the drivers side coil spring was broken also.the drivers side spring had broken near the top;the passenger side spring broke closer to bottom which allowed it to spin out of place and slice the tire.

- Albany, OH, USA

May 042015

Versa 4-cyl

Front right spring broke shredding a relatively new tire. We just turned on to a residential street, so fortunately we were going slow and no one was hurt. Car was towed to a nearby sear's auto center where both front springs and struts were rebuilt and an alignment performed. Plus new tire installed. Incident issue was opened with Nissan, but they refuse to accept responsibility for this frequently occurring poor quality issue...updated 08/12/15 updated 11/27/2015

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 092015

Versa 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Versa. While parking, the front driver side coil spring fractured. The vehicle was repaired shortly after, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 68,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 8/6/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was parked in the driveway, when the left front coil spring broke. Before she was able to have it repaired, it broke even further two weeks later. The consumer paid for the repairs at her expense. Updated 08/11/15

- Elmira, NY, USA

May 222015

I found a piece front the front of each coli spring laying in my driveway. I looked up the NHTSA website & found there is an investigation into this specific problem. Investigation no PE 15-019. I have the pieces & can send a picture of the fracture if you would like.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

May 032015

I was concerned that something was wrong with the car. I was taking it to the garage when the coil spring broke. The jagged end rubbed against the tire causing it to blow out.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

May 182015

My wife was driving her 2008 Nissan Versa and was about to get on the ramp to get on the highway when the spring on the passenger side in the front broke and punctured the tire. She was able to get to the shoulder. We had it towed and had a very expensive repair.

- St.Peters, MO, USA

May 092015

The coil spring on the passenger side front broke almost spearing my tire as I was about to back out of my garage. This vehicle sits in a garage all year round and is used daily. Luckily I did not make it out of my driveway or I may have gotten hurt at 65 mph or worse gotten someone else hurt because of this manufactures defect.

- Merrill, WI, USA

Apr 192015

While making a right turn their was a loud noise and a smell of rubber upon further inspection the passenger side coil spring broke expanding pass the lower plate and make contact with the tire.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 142015

Versa 4-cyl

While backing out of my driveway I heard a bang and the tire began rubbing on something. I pulled back in the driveway. I looked under and saw that the spring was broken. I am very lucky since I drive the interstate 376 everyday to work. If the spring had broken at speed I am sure there would have been damage to the car and a possible accident. The car is not drivable at this time.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Jan 052015

Front passenger side spring snapped puncturing tire.

- Baldwin, IL, USA

Aug 262014

The car had been making a noise on the front driver side, I thought it was the brakes, when I left for work the car made a loud bang. I got it back home to find the front coil spring snapped.

- Luray, VA, USA

Sep 012013

In September 2013, I began hearing a rattling/squeaky sound in the vicinity of the front passenger side wheel well. The rattling sound is similar to metal bolts rolling around in a metal pan. The squeaky sound is similar to a spring mattress. Approximately in December 2013, I received scheduled maintenance on my vehicle at nicks Honda in burlingame, ca. The owner nick theroux informed me that my right shock needed to be changed because it "gone". the service inspection also determined a possible coil problem. As I researched the Nissan suspension issue online, I learned that similar Versa suspension issues exist nation wide.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

May 212014

Heavy metal sound (as when you drive over a loose manhole cover) comes from the front passenger side. Inspection showed that the coil spring snapped clean - no rust. The snapped coil was not caused by hitting a pothole or other abnormal driving. Normal city & mostly highway driving. An independent and trusted mechanic stated metal fatigue and estimated the repair at $800 (both sides will be replaced). Parts range from $174 - $250 depending on the brand. I have not contacted Nissan or the dealer to see if this might be covered out-of-warranty as a customer satisfaction basis. This is the second metal failure on the vehicle. Last year, the exhaust pipe just fell apart at the weld. Again, rust was not the cause. There are numerous reports of both issues in many places. Nissan Canada (or dealers) seems to be more willing to repair the faults than us counterparts. There is only one recall (garmin) for the Nissan Versa. The coil spring is definitely a safety concern - a clean break on a coil spring is extremely sharp and can result in tire puncture. At high speeds this would be fatal.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

May 292014

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Versa. The contact stated while reversing out of a parking space, the vehicle suddendly made a loud noise. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed the vehicle was tilted on the front passenger side. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed the shock spring had fractured. In addition, the technician made the contact aware that the manufacturer no longer produces the part need to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was not available.

- Mattapoisett, MA, USA

May 162014

Versa 4-cyl

My daughter was backing out of the garage and as she was doing that the drivers front suspension collapsed, upon inspection it was found that the coil spring had cracked and separated. Nissan case number- 14429298. Nissan usa said to us on 05/19/2014 that since the car was out of warranty they had no responsibility for the collapse.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

May 122014

Versa 4-cyl

Backing out of the driveway heard a snap got out of the car and found a piece of the coil spring had broken off near the base of the spring.

- Farmington, MN, USA

May 092014

While reversing out of my parking space at home the front drivers side dropped and I heard a loud noise. After inspection I found a piece of coil spring on the ground where I had been parked. The piece that broke was about 4" long and it appears to have broken before as both ends were jagged one break rusty and the other break was clean. Checking online this appears to be a common problem and often shreds the wheel when it happens. If this happens at speed it could be a very dangerous situation.

- Ashley Falls, MA, USA

May 032014

Versa 4-cyl

Coil spring on front driver side, snapped while driving. Made a loud bang noise. Could have caused an accident if the spring had slipped off and stabbed the tire. Luckily the spring stayed on. It was a clean break no rust present. Metal seems very brittle.

- Greenfield, WI, USA