2.3

2009 Nissan Versa drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Jun 062016

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a lack of acceleration while depressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was approximately 132,000.

- Alburn, AL, USA

Feb 112016

Versa

Transmission failed resulting in car losing power and making noises when accelerating. Nissan is not honoring the extended warranty for which my car is eligible and won't respond to my many calls at all. It has been 7 weeks. They are stonewalling me. They won't even tell me the name or extension of the "specialist" handling my case.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Mar 032016

Versa

On Thursday morning, March 3, 2016, my transmission stopped working as I was driving up a hill. I was not able to drive forward. Only reverse. So I had to reverse my car off the street against oncoming and park on the side.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 192015

Versa

Transmission failed while driving on main road uphill, car rolled into oncoming traffic without and way to stop. Rolled car (backwards down hill) into closest parking lot. Dealership confirmed a failed transmission. Nissan is aware of issues with this transmission but will not recall or make ethical route to keep consumer safety a priority.

- Warren, RI, USA

Nov 302012

Versa 4-cyl

I was turning onto a side street and heard a thump under my hood on the right side of the car. There was no difficulty driving although I kept hearing thumps for days after. I went in to a garage to get my snow tires put on and the garage saw that the spring above my right front tire was sheered in half and had damaged my tire. I had it towed to the nearest Nissan and they fixed it while I went and bought new tires. About 3 months later, it happened on the left side. Then about a year after that, the spring above the right front tire broke again, so I replaced it a third time to a cost of $1200 per spring. I contacted Nissan and was told no recall was in place for this. The mechanic at the garage told me this was a common problem for this car. In addition, at the same time, I noticed the engine losing power at different times, especially when stopped at a light or upon acceleration from a low speed to a high speed. No check engine light, no engine trouble noted, just loss of power. Shutting the car off and turning it back on seems to reset it but it's an ongoing issue.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Dec 132014

Versa 4-cyl

Passenger side airbag light is on and blinking on dashboard. Nissan states that entire passenger seat needs to be replaced. Computer was reset twice and light is still blinking. The vehicle was purchased new and has never been in an accident. I am afraid this might be part of a earlier recall since I can not determine if my passenger side airbag is a 2009 model.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Aug 072014

Versa 4-cyl

Out of a clear blue sky, the shifter on my 2009 Versa, would not go into park. It would also slip out of park at the slightest pressure & provaction & into reverse. Luckily there wasn't any persons or vehicles behind me when that happened, but scary as all get out. If you ask me the recent recall of 2011 & 2009 Versa's for "defective shifter knobs or shifter assemblies" should be expanded to include 2009 model years based on my experience. Since this happened I was terribly afraid to use the vehicle (and have not) since by it not going into park I also could not lock/secure the vehicle & feared someone might take the vehicle & unknowingly cause an accident.

- West Collingswood, NJ, USA

Dec 012009

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when she noticed that the front passenger tire was flat. The failure recurred repeatedly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the tire must have been leaking. The contact eventually replaced the tires and the failure persisted. The contact examined the vehicle herself and noticed that the monitoring valve for the tire pressure monitoring system was defective. The vehicle was not taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled while accelerating up hills and would occasionally roll backward. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the transmission was replaced. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Lake Forest Park, WA, USA

Feb 282012

Versa 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Nissan Versa that I had been hearing popping when I turned so I had to replace the cv axel and now I am having to replace the ball joint bushing because that is what caused my cv axel to start to go now I hear a grinding and the car has 63000 miles on it.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

May 142011

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving 60 mph, the contact stated that the clutch fractured which caused the vehicle speed to decrease to 35 mph without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where they performed a diagnostic test which confirmed that the clutch had fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 31,315.

- Arlington, TX, USA