2.4

2009 Nissan Versa engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Jul 242015

Versa

While driving down a 30mph Chicago street my car engine just shut off. I had enough momentum to turn into a parking lot and actually reach a space but that space was tow zone so I had to sit there with my car for 3 hours while I waited for a tow truck because it was actually rush hour. After taking it to aaa car body shop, they discovered that the engine was just dead. And after they took it apart they could only speculate but with some confidence from seeing something similar in the past that some sort of chain inside the engine snapped and struck the engine and caused the cylinders to come to a halt. The mechanic said that he saw something similar in a mid 2000's Saturn. In which case it ended up being a recall for that line of car. He said if you keep the receipt and someday it ends up being a recall, I could possibly get a refund. Anyways, the bigger deal is that this is a highly hazardous breakdown. Im glad I was not on a highway waiting 3 hours for a tow. But im also glad I could coast on the momentum I had. After the initial breakdown that had a popping sound, my car felt heavy because I lost power steering as well so the turn into the fortunate parking space was actually difficult to maneuver. This could be dangerous not just to me but also to pedestrians. Because during that time if I had to swerve out of the way, I would not have been able to. Also the breaks were heavy.. I had to really press down on them to get the car to stop. Thats about all I can say from my memory of this incident. I do have my records (receipt from aaa)

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Jan 312016

Versa

Driving on the highway car tends to lose power and sputter and in some cases it will stall. When trying to restart it, it will not start. This can be very dangerous. Also, if driving this vehicle and then shutting the engine off you can not restart it without waiting at least 30 minutes. My 16 year old has been driving this car and the first instance it happened was while she was driving it. She lost all power and was not even able to use her brakes. She came very close to hitting a wall but was able to steer it away but steering was very difficult as well. We replaced the fuel pump thinking it wasn't getting enough gas but this still hasn't fixed the issue. We are told by mechanics that the problem can't be duplicated therefore it can't be fixed. I bought this car used and I can't believe that Nissan has not recalled this car due to many complaints with this issue. I guess someone has to lose their life before they will fix it. This is a common problem with the Versa and Nissan takes no responsibility for it. Please look into it and fix it before someone dies.

- Mount Pleasant, PA, USA

Nov 182013

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving at 30 mph, an abnormal noise was heard near the rear driver side. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the muffler exhaust flange fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 88,000.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Nov 302012

Versa 4-cyl

I was turning onto a side street and heard a thump under my hood on the right side of the car. There was no difficulty driving although I kept hearing thumps for days after. I went in to a garage to get my snow tires put on and the garage saw that the spring above my right front tire was sheered in half and had damaged my tire. I had it towed to the nearest Nissan and they fixed it while I went and bought new tires. About 3 months later, it happened on the left side. Then about a year after that, the spring above the right front tire broke again, so I replaced it a third time to a cost of $1200 per spring. I contacted Nissan and was told no recall was in place for this. The mechanic at the garage told me this was a common problem for this car. In addition, at the same time, I noticed the engine losing power at different times, especially when stopped at a light or upon acceleration from a low speed to a high speed. No check engine light, no engine trouble noted, just loss of power. Shutting the car off and turning it back on seems to reset it but it's an ongoing issue.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Sep 032013

Versa 4-cyl

I bought two 2009 Nissan Versas brand new. First the front right hub cap fell off both vehicles within the first year. Next the key hole cover on the door handle fell off on both cars. By the fourth year the ac compressor went out and I had to pay $1,300 to replace it. Finally I walk out to my vehicle, go to open the door, and the driver door handle came completely off. When I was driving on the highway I saw another Nissan Versa (same model) with the door handle missing. The part is defective.

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 252011

Versa

My oil plug came out during a 45 mile drive home. I had my oil changed in Feb. And in June it fell out during the drive. My engine started knocking and almost blew up. It was smoking upon the stop to look at it. I put 4 quarts of oil in it and it came out in a matter of seconds. I had the oil plug replaced and put 5 quarts of oil in and it has been fine since.

- Walterboro, SC, USA

Nov 022011

Versa 4-cyl

July 2, 2013 - while driving the service engine soon (ses) light comes on. The rate of speed does not seem to have an impact on this problem. I have taken my car to the Nissan dealership on 7 different occasions for this problem. Each time the computer reveals the following code: P2A00 A/F sensor failed. So far the following repairs have been done: Replaced front air/fuel sensor (Nov 2011), replaced O2 sensor and reprogrammed the engine control module (ECM) (Mar 2012), replaced the A/F sensor for the 2nd time, and reprogrammed the ECM for the 2nd time (April 2013), replaced the fuel pump (May 2013), replaced the A/F sensor for the 3rd time (June 5, 2013), reprogrammed the ECM (June 18, 2013),and finally replaced the O2 sensor for the 2nd time (June 27, 2013). These repairs have not fixed the problem. The ses light has come back on after my latest service in June 2013. I am frustrated and feel that something else must be going on. Nissan is of no help and is not offering any further assistance other than to replace the same parts over and over and reprogram the ECM. Very frustrating!

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Jan 042013

Versa 4-cyl

My service engine soon light came on so I dropped by advanced auto parts to have them pull the code. It read as cylinder 4 misfire. I took it in to mcgee auto to have a detailed diagnostic, which indicated that I had a bad coil on one of my spark plugs. I had four spark plugs replaced, an ignition coil changed, and intake manifold resealed; however, after leaving and getting a few miles up the road the ses light came on again. I stopped at another advanced auto to have the code pulled and again it read as a cylinder 4 misfire. I contacted the repair shop and was asked to bring the car back in. They did another full work up and again found everything to be fine. After leaving the shop again the light came on a few miles up the road. This happened repeatedly, and every time they would shut the light off it came back on and remained on. In March under new management, I returned to mcgee auto and they took another look. After posting my symptoms into the computer they noticed that my original plugs had been replaced with aftermarket plugs. They replaced all four plugs and coil, and did something with the fuel injection at no additional cost to me. After leaving the shop a couple miles up the road, the light came on again. I took the car back in on Monday, 3/18. Further research entailed a compression test. Cylinders 1 through 3 had 130% compression, but cylinder 4 only had 70% compression. I was advised that the issue is an engine problem and without tearing it down they are unable to identify the exact cause, but it could have something to do with the piston in cylinder 4. in contacting Nissan, they found that my warranty coverage is for 60,000 miles and unfortunately I was at 66,000. When asking what this really means I was told that I will likely need a new engine or a new car because it would be costly to tear down the engine to find the problem.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Feb 272013

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the exhaust shook and made a loud noise. The contact also stated that the vehicle lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was told the flange that connects the manifold to the engine along with the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileages were 56,000. The VIN was not available.

- Barre, VT, USA