2009 Nissan Versa steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 152016

Versa

Continues knocking noise comes out of the steering wheel when driven at 40-50 miles also on the uneven rough roads. Also the stering wheel shakes when applying the breakes.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Apr 202016

Versa

Loud clunking/popping noise coming from front of car while driving.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jan 012015

Versa

When vehicle is in motion upon turning either left or right popping noise coming from steering column. Also causing front end to creak. Gerald Nissan inspected and said it needs steering shaft U joint replaced. But they say it is safe to drive.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Oct 132015

Versa

Recently the power steering of my Nissan Versa 2009 has started making annoying noise when I made turn.of the vehicle.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Mar 202013

Versa

Clunk sound coming from steering column when making right or left turns.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Versa

Driving along, heard a loud pop as I turned onto a major roadway. The car was pulling very badly to the left side and could barely stop the vehicle. Had to have the car towed home and the struts replaced on the car. After doing some research this seems to be a common and very costly issue. I was quoted $930 to have this issue resolved. Not a happy Nissan owner.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 212015

Versa

My Nissan Versa has had an ongoing problem with the steering column. In 2011, while the vehicle was still under warranty, I complained about a popping sound in the front suspension of the car accompanied by a shifting sensation felt in the steering wheel. After checking the car over several times, the dealer discovered a problem with the steering shaft and replaced it. Two years later, the problem resurfaced and has gotten much worse over time. Now, my dealer is telling me I need to replace the steering shaft again - but I have to pay this time. I've not yet hit 70,000 miles and need a third steering shaft? sounds like a parts or design problem to me! Nissan should replace it.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jan 302015

Versa

The coil spring broke on the passenger side of the car ripping into the tire, while I was driving. The car's steering was immediately affected and so were the brakes, since the broken spring ripped the brake line. I broke down in an underpass and had to call the police since we were placed in a dangerous spot with cars speeding by. I did not expect this for a car that is 6 years old! from what I have read so far this seems to be a prevalent problem with Nissan versus and it seems that the dealers are not taking any action.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jan 112015

Versa

Recently, I submitted a safety complaint here about a broken coil spring. At about 39K my right spring went and was replaced by a genuine Nissan replacement coil spring. At about 61K, my left spring broke. I ordered a replacement from Nissan and was going to replace it. Unfortunately, I noticed that the already broken spring had snapped some more and the newly replaced spring had snapped as well when the car was simply sitting on my driveway! the new right side spring only lasted about 22K miles or 15 months. Basically, I have experienced 3 broken coil springs from Nissan after only about 61K miles of driving. I have read the stories at the carcomplaints website and many are similar to mine. Please investigate this problem before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Ontario , NY, USA

Dec 252014

Versa 4-cyl

Recently I noticed a piece of metal near my mailbox. Looking at it I quickly realized it was probably a piece of my Nissan Versa hatchbacks left coil spring. Sure enough, the breakage matched what was on my car. Why did I so quickly guess that it was from my car? because my right coil spring went at about 39000 miles and I had read up on Nissan Versa hatchbacks and sure enough, a bunch of people have had this problem (I actually was waiting for it to happen). My right coil spring broke more drastically when I was going at highway speeds and I went onto a bridge. There was a loud clang and my alignment went whack. Later upon inspection at a repair shop, I realized that I could have had a very bad crash seeing that the sharp part of the broken spring coil was only a few inches away from my tire (it was pretty ugly break). The repair cost me 200$ with a student discount, which I very cheap, some people fair worse. The more recent left coil spring broke without me even noticing anything, I only found the broken piece about half a ring size. Since it was near my mailbox, it must have broke off at low speeds, probably when I drove over the little trough in front of the drive way for the drain. Somehow the rest of the spring just re-aligned itself so I was actually able to drive my car without noticing anything wrong. I obviously wont drive it now unless its to a repair shop. This is unacceptable, I am a 4th year electrical engineering student and I am disappointed at the engineers who designed my car. Other Versa drivers had their wheels blown by these broken coil springs from what I have read, I have just been lucky. I am surprised there has been no recall yet by Nissan or atleast some warning, perhaps no one was seriously hurt yet. When I get out of college and look for a new car, I don't think I will consider Nissan. Thank god I wasn't hurt by these failures.

- Ontario, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Versa 4-cyl

During the month of May 2014 the Versa started to make clicking noises at the front of the car especially when I applied the brakes. The sounds got worse and the car was not performing well. I took it to the service station in my neighbourhood and the person who repaired my car had to replace the 2 front strut mounts, 2 front coil springs and align the 4'wheels! the car only had 5420 miles on it at that time. Now today, I took the car back to the service person as the car is making the same clicking noises and the steering column is making noise when I turn it to the right! I sent an email to Nissan today to inform them of these problems and also to let them know that the car was taken in again today for more problems that have arisen! thank you.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Apr 072014

Versa 4-cyl

I purchased this car new and it was passed on to my daughter. No accidents prior to the incident that I am reporting. In April, my grandson called his father and said that he had a flat tire. Upon inspection, this flat tire was caused by broken right front coil spring. I am glad that the car was parked when it happened. Mileage on the car was about 34,000 miles. I am very upset about this because this could have caused a very serious accident. My grandsons are special to me. This vehicle should be recalled for inspection and or replacement of the coil springs on all of the Versa automobiles. This is a definite safety issue. Is Nissan going to sweep it under the table like another manufacturer? the repairs costs $217 which was a very reasonable amount. The possible risk is not reasonable. I just checked the web site so this should be incident number 44 that is reported to you.

- Enola, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Versa 4-cyl

On the 21st of April 2014 my wife left work. As she was reversing the car she heard a loud grinding noise and then a boom. The front right tire blew out. She found a large sheered off metal piece underneath the car. We took the car in the next day to a professional service. They found out that the spring was completely destroyed. The cost to fix everything including the tire was $720. The worse part is that they only had oem parts available. This means that they had to put the same defective springs back on our car. After I filed a report with Consumer Affairs Nissan contacted me back saying that they will not honor this defective part. We purchased our car in the summer of 2010. The spring lasted only four years. Had this been on the highway my family could have been seriously injured, especially during this recent winter. This is our only car and we have three children under three years old. No one should buy a Nissan Versa, period, if they care about the safety of their family.

- Mpls, MN, USA

Oct 142010

Versa 4-cyl

I have a history of complains with Nissan about the steering. My complaint was about a pinging noise coming from the front end. You could also feel this ping in the steering wheel. Nissan ignored this complaint and explained it was my ABS calibrating. As time went by the noise got worst. Nissan would even charge me $150 each time they look at the car for this noise and could not find anything wrong. Last week Nissan told me there is a problem with the spring moving when the steering wheel turns. The spring tightens and loosens with each turn of the wheel. They have identified the problem and have a fix for it, but they want me to pay for it. To me this sounds like a defect in design and I should not be liable for the charges, however they wont repair it unless I pay for it.

- Medford, NY, USA

Mar 112013

Versa 4-cyl

To whom it my concern, the day March/11/13, I was driving my Nissan Versa 2009 at route 9 South, New Jersey, when my car stop running, at that time I got scared because it never happen before, I look at my dashboard and what I saw that it was power and gas but my Nissan Versa do not want to stare, after an hour trying, I called the towing truck to take my Nissan Versa to the mechanic, after a few hours my mechanic called me to tell me the fuse of the fuel pump blow up, I asked him the replace it wit a new one. With all that in place I. when back to drive my Nissan Versa. Now let me tell you that I used my Nissan Versa to go to work and to drive my family around. Now my second incident I was driving again on the route 9 South,06/28/13, but with the only difference that I was driving on the third lane my Nissan Versa with a heavy traffic and my family in the card, it happen again, no gas, no power, looking for to stay away of the traffic, trying to protect my family from to get hurt, now my question is "do I need to risk my life or my family every time that I driving my Nissan Versa 2009""thank god at these time I was capable park on the side of the highway and call the towing truck to bring my family and my Nissan Versa 2009 home, what about if was my wife driving", I know she wont have the strength to move the car with out power. Please help me to resolve these problem, for you it my not be a big deal but for me is my life in risk if I drive my Nissan Versa 2009. Thank you in advance. God bless

- Oldbridge, NJ, USA

May 082013

Versa 4-cyl

I noticed that the car was leaning toward the ground on the driver's side. I decided to take it to the dealership to have it checked out. The car was bouncy on the drive to the dealership. The tech looked at it and said it was not safe to drive because the left front coil spring was broken. He said the broken coil could break the brake line or puncture the tire. The Versa has never been in an accident, is only 7000 miles over warranty, and I can't see how the coil could have broken if the part was not faulty.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Mar 142013

Versa 4-cyl

Within days of buying the new car in 2009, I noticed a loud, clunking squeak and a pop from around my front wheels when I would make a turn after slowing down to a stop. This had been happening during the entire 3.5 years that I have had the car, so I figured it was normal and harmless because the car was already doing it brand new (right now there are still only 37,343 miles on the vehicle, I park it in my garage, and it has had no accidents.) however, last night, the sound seemed to be louder and looser near the front-right wheel. Then this morning I drove out of my neighborhood and as I began accelerating to 50 mph, a large piece of metal flew out violently from under my car. I was able to find it in the roadway, so I backed up and inspected the part. It is the bottom coil of the coil spring that is over the right-front wheel. Luckily it did not hit anybody behind me or cut my tire. The metal was not only broken, but the face of the break was already slightly rusted, as if it had been cracked for a while before snapping.

- Bellport, NY, USA

Aug 012008

Versa

Within weeks of my purchase of a 2009 Nissan Versa sl, I noticed, when making right or left turns at slow speeds (5-10 mph), especially going over a bump and when the steering wheel is turned 1- 1 1/2 times (as in going into a driveway) I experience loud clunking and vibrations in wheel, and it can be easily heard coming from the steering column. The clunk is always there at 1 to 1 1/4 turn from the full clockwise stop. I have taken it in the dealership for this problem at least 5 times; they have been unable to fix the problem. Several times, the service writer said he couldn't hear or feel the 'clunk' but the mechanic said he could. The Versa does move around quite a bit at high speeds on the freeway, but I am unsure if that is caused by the above described problem or the light weight of the Versa. The sound and feel of this 'clunk' is very disconcerting, and given the number of complaints I've seen for 3 years about this problem, I'm wondering if the government/automaker are waiting for someone to die before they act.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 112011

Versa 4-cyl

The steering column clicks and shifts when making sharp turns, especially getting on and off highway ramps. The steer column often times feel like it could twist off while driving. No injuries, crashes, or incidents in direct relation to this as of yet but does need to be looked into. Other instances have been reported on online forums regarding the same issue.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 102011

Versa

The contact owned a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 55 mph entering the right lane the contact was forced to turn the steering wheel back in the opposite direction in order to center the vehicle. The vehicle did not respond to the change in steering and continued to drift to the right until it crashed. During the failure the brakes would not function. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an insurance lot where they did not diagnose the failure. The failure and current mileages were 50,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA